PDA

View Full Version : Mordhiem Question

Faileas
31-07-2009, 07:52 PM
I was discussing this Question with Marticus the other day and thought i''d see what other members thought.

In the Mordhiem rule book it says your captain starts with 20 exp (to rep his past campaigns and such before they arrived in the ruined city), My question is can you use these to upgrade your Captain with skills and the like? 20exp is = to 8 advancement points?

If you can't then it means he starts with 20 useless exp and to make matters worst the more exp you have the harder the next advancement point (Eg, at the start you need 2exp to get a advancement, by the time you have 20exp you need 4 more exp to advance again). This just seems stupid to me, that your handicapping your 'main' hero from the beginning!

The other options are you ignore the past exp rule and just start him at 0. Or maybe give them a few advancements/exp from the start!

Anyhow Cheers in advance astro peeps

Hephesto
31-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Mmmm, very good one. On page 120 is simply says that you record how many of these starting experience points some warriors start with. No extra advantages are granted for this experience. It simply represents the experience the warriors have accumulated before the warband is formed.

So look like it is indeed wasted experience, most likely build in there to make certain captains and champions don't get too strong too fast? Well hope this helps a bit ;)

Faileas
31-07-2009, 08:08 PM
aye but dont you think its a waste? esp if your only having a 3 match campaign or something? Seems to me that your lessers heros will soon be as good if not better than your captains?

Also cheers for the fast reply Hep :D

Hephesto
31-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Quite right, though once a hero does level you have a lott more control over how he improves. 6/11 of the time you get to pick a new skill which can be very useful and in the other 5/11 times you get one of two characteristic upgrades that are both quite useful.

Henchmen on the other hand have a relatively large chance to merely get a few I upgrades as they level. This is of course offset by them being grouped together and the ability for the lad's got talent moments!

darknight
01-08-2009, 08:52 AM
glad you mentioned this, as a newby to mord and fantasy my quick read through did sugest that they were able to spend points given to them, dont seem much point saying they got them if you cant eh?

Faileas
01-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Thats what I'd say DN, either that or they start with none/less...and thus can level as easy as the others..

8 advancements may be a lot so maybe cut their starting exp to 10 and give them a smaller amount of starting advancements?

darknight
01-08-2009, 09:22 AM
i mean i new to it but i cant see the point of saying something has this much experience but you cant use it, its effectively useless, i think your leader should be a bit arder than the rest

Marticus
01-08-2009, 10:18 AM
well hes got better stats.. so could consider the experience went on those, or his leadership to get to the top of the gang.

Faileas
01-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Aye but the captains stats arn't too much further behind them?

Marticus
01-08-2009, 10:41 AM
tis just the way of it dude :) i think giving them advances before anything has happened isnt so much fun, i like em to actually earn it in the rough city of mordheim, think of it as twhat they learn form when they get to mordheim, which is a whole differant adventure to what they used to

Aeth
01-08-2009, 09:17 PM
It does seem daft to have exp that you can't use, sounds like house rule time :)

LAZtheinfamous
03-08-2009, 04:17 AM
Well, the first campaign we played, we gave them experience advances for the starting experience. However, with certain warbands *cough*vampires*cough*, this leads to very hard captains. If you look at it though, if leadership is considered a skill, then almost all the experience that has been gotten at teh start attributes for the captain/heroes higher base skills from the lowest (usually a youngblood).

Though, if you want to give them the experience boosts from the starting experience, by all means go ahead, just be forwarned, it will create some monsters. Especially in the beginning stages, where there is not strength of numbers to take out maxed out characters. They will gain experience EVEN faster, because of the usual stipulation of +1 exp for each enemy taken out of action. It boggles the mind.