PDA

View Full Version : 'Dipping' guide

arceus1018
26-07-2009, 02:27 AM
Alright, my friend's dad emailed me this website for a 'dipping' painting technique, mainly used for 'nids or large horde armies (that want a glossy finish to it). Seems pretty interesting and easy to do....the results really want me to join those glibbery beasts now. It can be found on the following link:
http://www.librarium-online.com/painting/a-quick-guide-to-dipping-your-minis-885.html

It should help many of you 'nid players out there since painting hordes armies is annoying. Hope this helps!

Your local Astro annoyance,
Arceus

Vulpus Rex
26-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Hmm, so that's what this dipping is. Thanks Arcaeus

Hephesto
26-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Nice guide indeed, good find Arceus! I still think it is cheating though ;)

grimdisco
26-07-2009, 12:34 PM
2 things I dont like about dipping.
1 its way to easy.
2 if you are not careful you can end up with blobs instead of feet (gravity pulls the stain down)

But that is a good find and a good resource for people to use.

arceus1018
26-07-2009, 12:35 PM
It's either cheat or sit at your painting table for hours on end :D

luther
26-07-2009, 02:19 PM
well i like it i have alot to paint and not enough time i may try this with some csm!!!!!

Consadine
26-07-2009, 02:49 PM
2 if you are not careful you can end up with blobs instead of feet (gravity pulls the stain down)

I've read that people who use this method attach their models to a wooden dowel somehow to get the model in the stain without their fingers getting the treatment. Then you hold it at a 45 degree angle to the ground and give it a spin. This'll help get excess stain off the model.

Edit: Applying the stain with a brush helps to cut down on excess stain.

Skringly
26-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I've never had the guts to dump a model into a tin of a syrup like mixture.

kharn the betrayer
26-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Very nice guide, I do somthing similar to this but on a lessor scale...

***********Custard Cream for you**********

Scoppio
26-07-2009, 05:02 PM
awesome technique. the ONLY problem is that you cannot repaint you mini if you want, thinner melts the plastic so you cannot remove the varnish :(

Birdie
03-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I've tried 'Army Painter - Quickshade' it's gives very good results, here's a video tutorial for it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw1b56j_gSI

Pherion
03-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Mod's feel free to string me up for threadomancy, but.....

Can anyone confirm that the varnish can not be removed? Will simple green work? Has anyone tried? It's just I'm considering using dipping on my skaven, and I want to make sure that if something screws up - it can be fixed.

Edit: Same questions for Army Painter Quickshade - it's formulated slightly differently than standard varnish.

LutherMax
04-01-2011, 07:32 PM
I think ChrisSpaceWolves uses Army Painter Dip – try dropping him a PM?

Asrian
29-01-2011, 06:52 AM
No idea on the removal process, but I've been thinking of using a dip method for my skaven and my night goblin armies as both consist of over 200 troops and neither are painted thus far. At least make it quicker to knock out the rank and file troops which means I can spend more time converting/painting leaders and specialty items in the army. :D