PDA

View Full Version : Starting with moria

Old Toby
24-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Hey, i'm just starting out with lotr (most of my friends play it and i'd like to join in) and i really like the look of the moria goblins. They have some cool rules (wall climbing etc.) and some awesome models, especially the monsters!!! I was just wondering what sort of stuff to buy for my first army, and what would be a good points value to start fighting my friends at. Thanks in advance!

Marticus
24-07-2009, 03:25 PM
wel welcome on in to the fold :) mmm goblins! so war of the ring or the stategy game? that makes a diff. what points do your friends play at? though cave trolls are great and drummers too, also in the bigger games the balrogs lethal

Old Toby
24-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Strategy battle game. They don't really have a fixed points value, whatever they feel like playing. I just wanted to know what would be a decent size to start out with

Hephesto
24-07-2009, 03:30 PM
First of welcome to Astro mate, hope you'll have tons of fun here! Moria it is, a very nice force indeed. The big question that comes first for many people seems to be get a Balrog or not. The plastic kit is a pure gem and it definitely is the hardest hitting critter you can get for Moria. But it will also greatly influence the rest of your force as it costs a whole lott of points and is bound to attract almost all ranged attacks your enemy will have.

Now I'm not saying you need to get the Balrog of course, the 'normal' Goblin horde has tons of good stuff. Quick question, from which list are you working? This as some of them have unique characters and access to stuff like Wargs and Spiders.

The normal formula that does wonders for Goblins is tons of normal Goblins supported by cheap captains, a shaman, a drum from the deep and a few cave trolls. Save for the cave trolls, bigger stuff and Durburz you'll have to go for the strength in numbers approach. A single goblin can't even put a dent in an Elf, 10 on the other hand ;)

Marticus
24-07-2009, 03:30 PM
500 or 600 points is a good starting point, i think most of the tourneys used to be around that, means you can some big hitters and plenty o gobbos too

Old Toby
24-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Quick question, from which list are you working? This as some of them have unique characters and access to stuff like Wargs and Spiders.

After having a quick look in my mates 'legions of middle earth' I think that the moria list looks the coolest, possibly allied with the monsters for some fiery balrog action *evil cackle*

Hephesto
24-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Yet another question, pesky guy aren't I ;) Do you also have the Khazad-Dum book, this as it was released after Legions of Middle-Earth. Legions, the first print anyway, is notorious for having a minimum of 2-3 mistakes per page and armylist. So I'd check it against the lists from Khazad-Dum to make certain you're getting everything out of it you can. If you want I can check them when I get home in a couple of hours, updated my Legions book with the lengthy errata and the new supplements (Khazad-Dum, Harad and Morder).

Old Toby
24-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Yet another question, pesky guy aren't I ;) Do you also have the Khazad-Dum book, this as it was released after Legions of Middle-Earth. Legions, the first print anyway, is notorious for having a minimum of 2-3 mistakes per page and armylist.

I only have the rulebook and legions, which i'm borrowing. I'll have to ask around and see if i can find someone with Khazad-Dum so i can check up on the lists. thanks for the advice!!

Hephesto
24-07-2009, 04:00 PM
It's a very nice book and there's tons of extra cool stuff in there. Including two Goblin characters, the dragon rules, updated armylists, prowlers and more!

Old Toby
24-07-2009, 04:20 PM
So if i buy the Khazad dum book, what sort of miniatures would you recomend i buy first?

Hephesto
24-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Well a box of goblins and a captain blister will make for an excellent start. Regardless of how you may go you'll need some goblins and a few cheap heroes, so you have some stuff to build and paint while you decide what to take next. Other good gaming buys are the shaman and drums, though both could be converted quite easily of course ;)