PDA

View Full Version : Need tutoriul for GS

arceus1018
24-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Hmm....I've got a pack of Green stuff from my local hobby store the other day to sculpt a cape, goggles and amplets for my guard models....I thought it was going to be an easy task but I'm very wrong. I tried sculpting a cape but the GS is just too sticky and keeps sticking to my molding knife, the GS is also flimsy and is hard to keep in shape to dry and it's just plain tricky to use. I know I need experience to do this kind of thing but I'm just wondering if there is a tutorial or guide on sculpting GS. Many many thanks in advance.

Your local Astro annoyance,
Arceus

Captain Castus
24-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Lots of water... Or a 'water-based lubricant' (;)) will stop it sticking...

I'm sure there are plenty of GS tutorials around on the web... Have a dig...

CC

e.g. http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=75772&page=1&pp=15

Consadine
24-07-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm just starting with the stuff too, but nothing as ambitious as what you're looking at (I'm having enough fun trying to fill gaps and make a smooth surface with GS).

Water works, sorta. As CC said, a water-based lubricant will work too (in fact, it works better), but make sure you're using something water-based so when you're done GSing, you can clean the stuff off you model and GS!

I've found that GS holds it shape better if you let it cure for a while (~20-30 minutes). First mix the GS, then shape it to roughly what you want it to eventually be. Nothing too precise. Let it cure for a bit, then work the details as best you can.

Now we just have to wait until Trygon and/or LAZ show up :p

arceus1018
25-07-2009, 06:28 AM
ooo thanks for the find CC, I'll try that one out ASAP :D. And I'm almost getting the hang of it, the thing still flops over when I mold it and try to stick it on though.

The Xenocide
30-07-2009, 10:36 AM
I wear latex gloves when using GS to help prevent fingerprints appearing on the GS along with a fair bit of water. Alternatively you can just wait until the GS has dried and then scrape the fingerprints off with a sharp knife, as long as it isn't too fragile.

With capes/cloaks it helps to get the GS into the right shape before putting it on the model so you don't have to worry too much about it folding over when you're trying to shape it.

I'm not an expert, but I hope this helps ;)

The X

LAZtheinfamous
30-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Someone say my name?

Ok, all the advise already given is sound, so I'll not repeat it. However, my main piece of advice is to pratice the simple stuff. Cubes, boxes, cones, rhombuses (or is it rhombi). tubes, balls, etc. Cause the simple shapes make up the world.

Arkaedin
31-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Here's a collaborative post all us From The Warp members helped work on:
http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2009/07/working-with-greenstuff-how-to.html

Ron has a funky layout but the post is on the left hand side of the page. Some great tips in there, they should definitely help!

Also, here is an awesome Dakka tutorial that might help:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/242387.page

tarantulus
01-08-2009, 11:58 PM
I've nothing to add, but I certainly would reiterate the point of letting it cure if you're struggling to get it to hold form. after mixing, just leave it for a bit before working with it. also becareful of your mix, too much "yellow" in your mix makes it soft, too much "blue" and it dries too quickly to be useful.

Skringly
02-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Oooh this will be very useful!