PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for using artists paints

crazzycanuck
18-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Hi All,

I should start that I did do a search for this before asking and couldn't find what I was looking for so if you know it's been asked please feel free to point me to the right thread.

Basically here is my dilemma, I have an ex-girlfriend that works at a local art supply store who is able to hook me up with artists paints at the staff price of $1.50 per 4oz tube of artists paint (Liquitex (http://www.liquitex.com/Products/paintbasicsstudent1.cfm).) That I'm hoping when thinned out will give me 10-15x what I get from a pot of Citadel or Vallejo paint.

Now I'm good at mixing paint to make a colour I mixed most of her paint when we were dating and still do at times now (hence the discount) so thatís not a problem. What I'm running into is that this paint is too thick to both spray and is really too thick to apply to a small Warhammer model. So does anyone know of a good method for thinning it out? I tried the method posted on the paint companyís website but it didn't work at all for me.

So I'm wondering if this community might have some suggestions that I can try would be most appreciated, I've gotten many good tips from the forum before so I'm hoping the Imperium sized vault of knowlege can help me out with this one.

grimdisco
18-07-2009, 02:08 AM
I just use watter for it.

If you want it to smooth out more put one drop of dish soap in a 20oz bottle of water and use that to thin down the paint.

You will get 7-19 times the amount of paint from Liquitex.

Hope this helps.

crazzycanuck
18-07-2009, 03:54 AM
I'll give that a try, what I've found so far is that it's easy to go from thick with some lumps to water thin I'll see if that helps out some. What would you suggest as a good ratio of water to paint?

grimdisco
18-07-2009, 06:11 AM
3 to 1 For most base coating.

If you have lumps get a painters filter that will remove any lumps.