PDA

View Full Version : Costcutting Guide

Honsou
14-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Most of us know, we've chosen a hobby that can at times become extravagantly expensive, leading to the need to improvise, and so on. I've seen a number of questions about it, and have decided to put together a guide to give people some options and suggestions as to how to cut their costs.

I will be posting that in due course (hopefully some time this week, but it's early stages). HOWEVER, I am limited in my ability to complete this guide on a global scale- I will deal mainly with the UK and the General application of the principles. That is why I am posting now: If anyone wishes to help me out by sending me a PM with their thoughts, tips, suggestions, etc for any area of the globe, then that would be appreciated.

You will naturally be credited appropriately, and some rep will also be forthcoming as a reward. So please, if you have any suggestions that I can write up and add: don't hesitate to bounce a PM poste haste!

Thanks in advance!

-Honsou

grimdisco
14-07-2009, 09:47 PM
I'll do what I can to help.
This is one of the better ideas I have seen here in along time.
Rep for stepping up and helping all of us out.

Scoppio
15-07-2009, 12:16 AM
using Bolters for EVERYTHING! This is how I do... Bolters for combibolters (I use other bolters to do the special weapon "combi"), bolters as meltaguns, bolters as multimelta, bolters as plasmaguns, bolters as bolt pistols... EVERYTHING

Nomad
15-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Buy stuff from craft stores. Basing materials, wire for modelling, decorative bits, paint brushes etc are all much cheaper if brought from craft or modelling shops...

Skringly
15-07-2009, 04:37 PM
You can find basing materials on the roadside for real savings.

Honsou
15-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Ok, first off let me say thank you to all the people who have PMed me ideas, and those that have submitted them here. Please keep in mind that there is still time to send my your thoughts- they are most welcome, and will help me make this guide as comprehensive as possible, so that we can help the community as a whole.

That said, let me refine what I'm thinking of for submissions to me- of course your ideas are VERY welcome, but I am also interesting in shop names, suppliers, etc across the globe (please don't forget a little extra info as to why, and to mention WHERE in the world they apply- I don't want to have to play Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego!). The ideas is to be able to provide a relatively comprehensive list of places to look out for that members of this community have found useful in cutting costs, so that readers will have some options to try out.

So please, keep sending me PMs with everything you can think of!

Skringly
15-07-2009, 07:50 PM
On the internet there is a Online shop called Wayland (http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/) Games. They do several wargames and 20% off most of them. And they have sales and do pre-orders on new releases.

matdragon
15-07-2009, 08:33 PM
*cough* who told you that ??? :D :D :D :D :D

Starky
15-07-2009, 09:24 PM
In britain hobby craft is not a bad for basic stuff, it can be a tad pricy at times but it is good for a high range of products and so you can find some cheap ones that will be of good quality.

Starly

tarantulus
16-07-2009, 06:18 AM
it may seem obvious, but ebay is great for bargains.. as long as you're careful about how much you bid.

don't bid your maximum all at once, but start low and increment every time you're outbid

Gaius Julius
16-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Total Wargamer o'course, the online shop owned by the Founder and God of Astro, Adders!:p

cheers

GJ

Captain Castus
16-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Just got this in an email... Will be of particular interest to you overseas types...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

Summer's finally here at Maelstrom Games, www.maelstromgames.co.uk,
and thanks to our move and everything else that's going on we're
feeling a little bit crazy! Thus, we're giving you all a 17% - yes,
seventeen percent - off UK recommended retail price voucher to use on
our webstore only (not eBay) that runs for the next ten days!

YOUR SUMMER MADNESS VOUCHER
----------------------------------------------------------
Your 17% off UK RRP discount voucher ends on Monday 27th of July 2009
at midnight (GMT) and it's a great chance to get yourself all those
miniatures and hobby items you've needed for a while but couldn't
afford! It will work on all the items within our webstore (NOT on our
eBay store) except for Flames of War items, which stay at our usual
10% off. It will work on pre-orders and, crucially, you'll still earn
Moneyback - although tiered discounts are disabled when using a
voucher of course.

Your voucher code is: SUMMER-MADNESS

To use this voucher simply register on the webstore,
www.maelstromgames.co.uk (if you haven't already), copy and paste the
code into the appropriate field in your basket when you have selected
the items you want, press 'REDEEM', and the webstore will do the
rest. You are not limited to one purchase and, indeed, we would ask
you to recommend us to your friends with this voucher!

Remember though that this voucher is intended for the webstore only -
it does not apply to any of our auctions or shop inventory items on
eBay.

Happy Ordering!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CC

luther
16-07-2009, 04:36 PM
also you could buy assault on black reach and ebay the stuff you dont need for example it cost 50 but to buy the space marine stuff on its own would cost about 78 now if you sell the ork stuff and get say 20 thats quit a big save and the models are great

Honsou
16-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Thank you for everyone's continued input, keep it coming!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
17-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Battleforces!

Example:

Imperial guard platoon costs 39 in total for a command squad and 2 infantry platoons. Add a sentinel and a heavy weapon team for 11 extra and that is a bargin. I've also found more bitz to be more inspiration.

Randy Johnson
17-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Battleforces!
Even better, Army boxes. Especially this one (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1020048&prodId=prod50018a).

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
17-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Yes! So true!

Actually big boxes choke full of models is always good. REGARDLESS of what they are. :D

luther
17-07-2009, 07:44 PM
thats epic advice now where did i put that 600 it was here a minute ago "looks at the dog" oops:rolleyes:

Bearhardt
18-07-2009, 09:57 AM
All these sites look really fantastic but as a yankee I fear my savings would be lost amongst shipping costs. Are there any discount shops like Total Wargamer that are US based?

Honsou
18-07-2009, 03:44 PM
All these sites look really fantastic but as a yankee I fear my savings would be lost amongst shipping costs. Are there any discount shops like Total Wargamer that are US based?

I am currently working on finding that out- and that's the reason of this thread. So let me take this opportunity to mention again my aim: Please, everyone, I am still trying to compile global info on this sort of stuff, keep it coming.

I mean that I intend to have some general geographical areas, and mention specifics and specific shops that people would recomend. For example, in the UK, Duryard is EXCELLENT for this sort of cheap hobby stuff (it's a DIY shop, but stocks useful things at a good price). Do people know of these shops in the US, in Canada, in China, Russia or ANYWHERE else.

Send me a PM, they are always welcome.

Bearheardt- sorry that I can't help you right now, but hopefully in a week or two I will be able to give you lots of info to help :)

Randy Johnson
18-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Surprisingly, I actually don't know of any US-based third-party sites like that. If you're interested, I'm not sure if this is a lot better, but I know a few Canadian sites with good pricing and a few other perks. Here are two that I've heard particularly good things about (including a few good comments from gamers at my local GW): MiniWarGaming (http://www.miniwargaming.com) and TheGameShop (http://www.thegameshop.ca/Warhammer_40k_s/25.htm)

Nomad
18-07-2009, 06:15 PM

Use Maelstrom Games. They provide free shipping anywhere in the world, except for nominal shipping on some of the books and codex. Reliable, safe and easy, they provide vouchers such as the one CC put up on the last page on a regular basis, the rest of the time most stuff is 10% of English price.

Utilising what would otherwise be rubbish is a good plan. I use sprue bits as paint stirers for example. The cheapest pallet in the world comes from the boxed sets, simply cut the top from the plastic insert and you have a pallet that has an area for standard paint, an area for wet pallet and a little bit of water for thinning paints:

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq257/TeefKikka/IMG_8877.jpg
My Pallet

Stuart_Kinnaird
18-07-2009, 06:53 PM
I had been contemplating getting a carry case and the GW ones are very expensive, so I looked about and got a FELDHERR one just went onto google and looked up british shops selling them and compared prices, a bag for 108 figers and a tank part 38 pounds, great value.

Also for buildings use cardboard, make the shape mix one third sand, pva glue and black paint and cover it with this I buy no secenery from anywhere just make it all myself, fro anything and everything you can find I made a ageies defence line for about 20p worth of paint the other day.

Again e-bay look for stuff with a few thing you may only want one or two, if you get it simply undercoat anything you don't like and sell indivdiually.

Also use proxies, do simple space marine army in black or silver and have a few chaos and normal marine characters and you can have two armies for one.

Nomad
18-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Proxies are a great idea for testing new armies you are contemplating before forking out for something you are not sure of. I have a friend who has played for months with Empire figure representing his Nid's until he builds up his army. After a while, you don't even really notice, your mind adjusts to what the models are meant to represent. Not long ago I pointed at one unit and asked what they represented. i got a strange look as he replied Genestealer. Funnilly enough, the models were Genestealers, the only Nids on the table, and I hadn't even really noticed...

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
18-07-2009, 08:10 PM
I remember being told a story of proxies, some guy started moving his models and said "Don't Roll My genestealers!" :D

But yes proxying is good. say a gretchin and an ork big shoota boy could easily be a heavy weapon team as a bloodaxe mercenary. Same with nobz for ogryns and why not just use a Space Marine to represent Iron Hand Straken?

Honsou
20-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Keep it coming guys, keep it coming! The article/tutorial is slowly beginning to take shape, but I still need alot of infomation based on the experiences of our members, particularly about tips where to shop and so on. There's only so much I can do with internet research and my own knowledge!

Aeth
20-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Got my case from here: http://www.krmulticase.co.uk/ you can fully customise what trys you want to have and the prices are good.

Honsou
22-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Ok, I've now begun writing the actually guide; thanks to all those who have sent me stuff. It is not yet too late, you can still PM me information that you think is relevant, particularly if you have good tips on what shops to use in any country or part of the world!

Captain Castus
10-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Where's the guide then? :p

CC

Honsou
10-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Where's the guide then? :p

CC

It will be forthcoming- I'm afraid the work I've done on it is on my laptop (currently in for repairs). Once I have that back, should hopefully not be too long, I will finish it up and post it!

Don't worry, haven't forgotten xD

Brother_Bobo
10-08-2009, 11:59 AM
http://megaminis.co.uk has some pretty good savings on boxed sets and codexes not too many metal minis but you can bundle items together and get even better savings!

Eodred
15-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Do Not Buy From Woot3 I ordered the Dwarf army box from them in April I think it was, they had to make up the kit (which isn't a problem) but they have only sent half the bloody box! :mad:

These are the ones I use: I usually check the price on each of these and whether they've got it in stock, before I spend any money.
Maelstrom Games (http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php) Not the fastest delivery, but good sevice.
Total wargamer (http://www.totalwargamer.co.uk/) Adders store, with the astro discount usually the cheapest
Gamers Warehouse (http://www.gwonline.biz/) Not Games Workshop despite the address, a discount place
WarGameStore (http://www.wargamestore.co.uk/) Very good delivery/service. Got some oop dwarf miners, rangers and bloodletters from them :D

Heresy Miniatures (http://www.heresyminiatures.com/tools.htm) for tools and non gw minis, though I've not bought any minis from them yet, the postage is incredibly quick, ordered some tools on a monday (after 12noon, standard delivery) and they arrived on the tuesday! With a free sweet and a free dwarf head, and I will be buying dwarfs from them when I have the money, very nicely sculpted it was.

Hasslefree minis (http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/index.php) For non GW minis. Very nicely sculpted/cast, good service and a free sweet :D

bitzbox (http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/) for bits ironically enough ;) There is another bits store in the uk that I know off used to be called battlewagonbitz but I had a problem with them, so I use these people instead.

I'm in the UK so you know for postage.

Hope this is of use,

Cheers
E

Honsou
17-08-2009, 12:12 PM
It's all definitely going in, since the guide is coming along...slowly xD

Ziggy Tempest
17-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I can recommend Wayland Games personally as I ordered my orks from them, good fast service. And a nice price.

PegLegBill
17-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I like Wayland Games. Very fast delivery.

Ossai
17-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Total Wargamer is what I use.

Inquisitor023
18-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Total wargamer (http://www.totalwargamer.co.uk/) Adders store, with the astro discount usually the cheapest
Adders gives us a discount for being a member of Astro?

Honsou
18-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Can you elaborate on that, I've not come across this before- would be useful to include in both this guide and another I am working on.

Eodred
18-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Yeah he does, give me a few mins and I'll try and find the original thread.

Cheers
E

Eodred
18-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Here you go: The original thread (http://astronomican.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5495)

The voucher still applies, or did the last time I bought anything there a couple of months ago. May not be such a good idea to post the actual code if you find it, just have it as a pm only thing so that only members can use it.

Cheers
E

PegLegBill
18-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Can someone PM me the code?

Thanks

Scoppio
18-08-2009, 09:51 PM
PM adders :D

Eodred
18-08-2009, 10:02 PM
He hasn't been on for a long time and I cant remember the code :(

E

Honsou
19-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Try Bran instead, he's the closest thing we have to the god-adders around here :P

DarthXander
19-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I'd advise looking at eBay for a lot of things as you can make some killer savings both on BNIB sets and part built/full built kits.

If you aren't too fussy and you don't mind the odd bit of paint stripping its all good.

I'd also say that you can save a lot of money by just stopping and thinking about the way you intend to build a unit.

For example many GW minis are still cast in metal and consequently are far more expensive and hugely reduce your modelling options.
By having a think and a look at various sets, you could probably model yourself some original minis with very little effort from plastic kits and still save money.
For example;
SM Veterans - rather than buying the metal kit buy Black Templars/Dark Angels and do a bit of filing
Vampire Counts Black Knights - don't buy metal blisters just combine plastic grave guard and tomb kings cavalry

It also wise to plan how you will construct your minis to get the most from the parts. For example when I was building my Cadian Infantry Company I was able to make the most of my Heavy Weapons teams by using plain guardsmen from the normal infantry sets as Heavy Weapons teams. For example all my missle launcher teams are on standard 35mm bases and with troops from the basic box rather than using up the guys from the Heavy Weapons teams. I go as far as saying that provided you have enough plain cadian troops around you could make three heavy weapons teams from a single kit.