PDA

View Full Version : Some advice please

Faileas
11-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Hello All, I've decide to try my hand at some terrain building however in my normally fashion i've decide to jump in with both feet (actually more curled up in a bomb type of manner) and build a ambitious project, ive started collecting some items, but need help on where to get the best (and cheapest) items from.

Need things like wood, Foam, flock and other generic crafty stuff, does anyone know some websites to order from? (uk)

Captain Castus
11-07-2009, 04:46 PM
The best site I've found for lots of things in one place is Barrule (http://www.barrule.com/workshop/products.html)...

They aren't cheap but they're good...

As for cheap stuff... Basically, if there's a generic/non-hobby alternative availble from a DIY store or Builder's merchant then use it... It's bound to be cheaper...

High density foam can be expensive... Unless you know somewhere you can get 'cut offs' for free... I'm lucky in that I work in a Cancer Centre where the radiotherapy department uses high density foam in the mould room... ;)

CC

Aeth
11-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Flock you can get from the model shop on ferensway, I think they do plasticard as well.

Faileas
11-07-2009, 06:41 PM
aye but it ant cheap in that shop, its pretty over priced on most of it :(

Cheers CC will check there later

darknight
12-07-2009, 02:29 PM
OK flock/lichen/small bush like stuff...go look in the woods round and on trees, real lichen is the stuff they sell you in bags and is free to collector.
household items,.....you would be surprised at how useful these things are, old plastic lids from water softener and yoghurt pots, painted up with a bit of imagination and converted will make just about anything, blue/pink foam, can be found a lot of the time on building sites, i have got loads in the past just by going in and asking if i could take some scraps, which in some cases can be very large pieces.
an example is my lgs has the only custom made board for inquisitor in the country, it was taken to a number of game shows and won a prize, looking carefully at it you will see bits of old computers..fans, pcbs, pots, lids, bits of an air con system, and plastic plumbing pipes...
oh well hope it helps a bit :)

grimdisco
12-07-2009, 03:21 PM
The only thing that can be added to darknight's post is, go to your local Wal-mart stile store and buy for sale signs (cheep way to get plastic card.)

Honsou
13-07-2009, 01:07 AM
I've found that, when modeling, the thing to remember is that you are free to be as creative as you can be. This means that if it exists, you can use it- as has been said, collecting stuff in the woods is free, as is grabbing a few handfuls of gravel from a construction site, or a gravel road (it does nicely to replace those expensive little bags of pebbles!).

My favorite sources are skips, and DIY shops (Duryard, etc)- you can use almost every object you come across in some way, if you're inventive enough.

The main thing to keep costs down is stay the hell away from GW and modeling shops- they'll sell you loads of stuff, but at a high price considering that with a little effort you can make your own great bitz for terrain (and indeed any other) sort of modeling.

Another place to look is the models themselves- if there is anything left, then keep it in a bitz box, keep the sprues, any surplus parts you think you might be able to reuse. For example, the sprue frames? I keep them and either use cut parts of them for various things, or sometimes I melt them down and use the plastic to mould new bitz I need.

Also worth trying is visiting various DIY shops, local small scale construction contractors, stuff like that- these sort of people, if they are friendly enough and small scale enough often have bits and bobs they have no use for and will trash otherwise. Well, why not try talking them into keeping their trash till the end of the week (or whenever suits them), and you pop by just before they chuck it out and have a rumage? I have that sort of deal with several nearby handy-work type firms, and I've found a wealth of useful things- including wood chippings, wood bits, etc that would cost me dear if I bought them new.

Finally, the internet- ebay, amazon, FIP, and many other sites exist through which people sell their stuff. This often included 40k/hobby/modeling/etc related stuff, or just stuff that you could use. They tend to be fairly cheap, as well. It's perfectly possible to find a collection of badly painted, badly assembled (or even good quality ones, just depends) models or terrain work that you can strip and disassemble for spare parts...

That about covers everything I can think of, off the top of my head. The moral of the story is: be inventive, recycle and keep your eyes open for a bargain or something useful.

Skringly
13-07-2009, 04:35 AM
Is it me, or is styrofoam really hard to get hold of in the UK?

Honsou
13-07-2009, 04:55 AM
Is it me, or is styrofoam really hard to get hold of in the UK?

Not necessarily, I think it's more that there are fewer full range DIY stores than in other places. Try checking all in your area out- in my area I know of 3 that usually have it, as well as some other more exotic materials that are great for terrain modeling. If you're having trouble, try looking on the internet for building materiel- you might get lucky and find one, or find some good info.

It occurs to me that, at least where I live, the two model railway shops stock limited amounts of it. You might try that, you never know.

for the emperor
13-07-2009, 04:45 PM
what about hobbycraft ? they also do gw stuff as well as general arty stuff.

Honsou
13-07-2009, 05:01 PM
what about hobbycraft ? they also do gw stuff as well as general arty stuff.

One option yes, but often the fact that they are selling GW sourced materials means the prices can be a little... extravagant, at times. By avoiding GW sources, and other such like places, you can substantially cut costs. Use things that aren't necessarily intended for 40k, or hobby modeling in general, and you're often better off.

That said: general arty stuff is the way to go, art shops, DIY shops and the like are the prime source of some of the most useful things you'll ever find!