PDA

View Full Version : Astro Tale of 8 Gamers Award Ceremony

Silver
02-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls!

WELCOME to the Astro Tale of Eight Gamers Award Ceremony! *drum roll*. The participants of this contest were, in order of signing up:

HEPHESTO, with his Space Marines of the Relictors chapter, called the "Relictor Strike Team". THE DIM REAPER, promising us to paint a force of "Rogue" Daemon Hunters. EODRED, another Brother Captain of the Space Marines, commanding a force of the feared Black Templars. FIRE HARTE, in charge of the Apostles of Minthras supported by troops from other legions of Chaos Space Marines. KISHVIER, planning to collect the enigmatic Eldar "Warp Hawks". KHAINE, also having decided to field a force of the Imperium's finest: the Space Marines of the Crimson Fists chapter. NOMAD and his endeavor to commandeer a horde of terrifying Chaos Daemons. And finally SILVER and his ambitions to guide forces of the Tau Empire hailing from Bork'an with the Greater Good. Alas, not all managed to fulfill their promises. As we all know, unexpected things happen in real life and this always takes precedence. Comitting oneself to a project that was running for six months and being able to hold out for so long is indeed not easy. But I am rambling now, am I not? Let's head straightaway for the awards!

First off, let's welcome DIM THE REAPER onto the stage. Thank you for participating Dim, I would've loved to see pictures of the two squads of Stormtroopers/Kasrkin you had purchased and basecoated but alas, your log ended in January. Nevertheless, thanks for participating! *REP*

Next to step up the the stage is KHAINE! I like Pedro Kentor too and it was a cool idea of allying troops from another chapter (Dark Angels in your case) to your Crimson Fists company. Sadly you also quit before the end of January. You have posted pictures, though - problem is, their photobucket links are broken now. It would be great if you could fix them. Or simply snap new pictures with your - I'm assuming you finally got it - new camera! Thanks for taking part in this competition and *REP* awarded to you, too.

Okay next up is KISHI! No, not the small one, the big one! The cool one ;) Starting to collect the same army that got me into 40k - Eldar, with a lot of Harlequins planned. I like the picture of that one Harlequin you posted - if I had ever included Harlequins in my army I'd have also painted them with plain colors instead of patterns. Makes them look less ---. I also like that Dire Avenger. Unfortunately you had to change to Chaos Space Marines in mid January, but even so, you fervently churned out a scratch-built Daemon Prince (albeit a small one), Khorne Berserkers, Chaos Marines, Plague Marines and Bloodletters before kicking the bucket in March. Nevertheless, good work mate! *REP*

Next cometh EODRED! Black Templars, eh? Good choice! ;) By far you were the most ambitious. Creating truly awesome bases, significantly converting your models and making them truly unique and then that Dreadnought - amazing. Although you were building your army with extreme detail, outclassing all of us in that aspect, we didn't see any painting and unfortunately, this slowed down your progress and you quit sometime in April. But still - I'd love to see you continuing your fabulous work at leisure in future. *REP* duly awarded!

NOMAD, please step up to the stage. I was really pleased you started out your log with a thrilling piece of fiction for your Chaos Daemons - this rare piece surely stands out among the 1000s of other pieces of fan-fiction revolving around the same boring concept: space marines, space marines and more space marines ;). A pity you didn't get to finishing that list of possible purchases you wrote all the way to June. The few pics you had were good ones; I really like your vibrant color scheme. Sadly the last we heard of you was in May. Here's hoping you find time to continue working on your army! *REP* awarded!

It's now your turn, HEPHESTO! Everybody, please help welcome the man of a thousand models onto the stage! I remember seeing the pictures of your miniatures shelf and it haunts me to this day. And now, the Relictors (with whose help you won the White Dwarf model painting competition by the way) were your next project. You had many great ideas, not only about creating a chapter that was on the brink of turning renegade, but also ideas like including a squad of alien mercenaries to your force, being the Eldar Corsairs, thus delving into the pirate aspect of 40k, which I really liked and which needs more exploration (remember the old rogue trader days). Also converting greatly, you turned many new ideas into real models. Unfortunately, your creativity was bogged down by, I quote: "a huge pile of (social and economic) psychology books and papers". This meant you couldn't keep up with the monthly limits, but you never gave up and that itself is a huge accomplishment! *REP* truly earned!

*drum roll*

.....And finally ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the winner of the Tale of 8 Gamers competition. A person, who has a reputation of accomplishing a lot in very little time. A person, who is suspected of possessing an arcane time-altering device - as if he slowed time around him and worked normally while the rest of the world was progressing in bullet time. I present to you the number 1 builder, converter and painter of our competition:

Fire Harte!!!!

Seriously man - need I say more? You made us eat your dust with the speed and extreme fervor you put into churning out squad after squad of painted models, great conversions, thrilling battle reports with pictures and also posting up one piece of fiction, thus excelling at every aspect of the competition, finishing before everybody else and still having enough time to comment everywhere on Astro and managing school at the same time. Truly amazing! Like a freight train. An unstoppable Juggernaut. Congratulations and *REPUTATION* as soon as it becomes available for me to give you and Heph.

Once again, thank you ALL for participating in my competition and here's to hoping we can do this sometime again the the future!

Cheers all - now go celebrate!!!
-Silver

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/events/one_night_stand_07/gallery/crowd.jpg

Consadine
02-07-2009, 05:19 PM
An impressive feat in itself to finish such a competition.

Woo, go Fire Harte! :D

Nomad
02-07-2009, 05:24 PM
But wait just one moment whilst we Congratulate SILVER. Not only did you make this possible, you put up the only real competition Harte had. The Tau look great and your fiction was enjoyable. So congratulations to you!

Well done Harte for getting all the way through and for finishing 1st.

Gaius Julius
02-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Congratulations to Fire Harte, and well done to all participants for making such a great competition!

Silver, excellent job with this, I must say. Rep-worthy, some would argue...

;)

cheers

GJ

The Xenocide
02-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Musn't forget yourself Silver ;). You were the only other competitor who actually finished, which is a fantastic accomplishment, so well done! Congratulations to FH for winning, and thanks for organising it Silver, it was an awesome competition :D

The X

Nomad
02-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Rep-worthy, some would argue...

;)

cheers

GJ

I certainly would argue that...

Hephesto
02-07-2009, 06:34 PM
A great initiative indeed! Thanks very much for starting it up Silver, it really got some of us motivated to do stuff we'd otherwise never get around to. And Fire Harte, you really made all of look bad with your steady and very large stream of reinforcements!

For those interested my final update is coming one of these days..,..still waiting to get my camera back from a friend, who will not be borrowing it a second time ;) I'm honoured to have shared to stage with all you guys, it has beena great run! And I for one will finish this army even if it is the end of me.

In addition keep an eye out for a new Tale to surface in couple of week. Going to work out some details when Fire Harte gets back to start up a multi-system Tale of Astro Gamers!

fridge61
02-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Well can I say that I'm all that surprised at FH winning? No not really :p

Well done man for such an awesome army!

Kishvier
02-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Cheers, nice work Fire Harte!

Randy Johnson
02-07-2009, 11:17 PM
In addition keep an eye out for a new Tale to surface in couple of week. Going to work out some details when Fire Harte gets back to start up a multi-system Tale of Astro Gamers!
I would love to participate in the next one, although another couple of weeks seems like no downtime at all compared to the length of the competition itself. But, we'll see, right?

Anyway, I have to say, I really wish I had come here earlier so I could follow this from the start. I started following the logs near the end, and although I didn't comment, I did take note of many things. Much applause for everybody's efforts; such a competition must have required a mind boggling amount of sheer dedication. Congrats to everyone, and especially Fire Harte. :)

PS: Nice picture at the bottom of your post there Silver! Where was that taken (from)?

Gaius Julius
03-07-2009, 08:20 AM

This sounds interesting. I haven't been in the hobby for a few years (apart from on Astro), and me and my friend want to get back into it at some point...so this could work out quite nicely..

I might actually join in on this one! It could be interesting for you all to see the perspective of a returning gamer who hasn't painted a thing since they were like 13 years old:D

cheers

GJ

Hephesto
05-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Might get my camera back tonight, so fingers crossed for that final update ;)

Skringly
05-07-2009, 01:03 PM
WOOH! Can't wait!

Tallarn
05-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Fire Harte: Check your Signature - Congratulations on a well earned victory.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee62/tallarn_bucket/awards/contestwinnernew.png

Ossai
05-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Congratulations FH, also, I would love to join this tale, but I'm not too sure as I don't currently have any way of funding it.

Hephesto
05-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Fiddling with an old cellphone camera right now.....2 hours in 4 decent pics...hoorrah, I guess ;)

Nomad
05-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Hmmm, would love to stay the course on a new one. Gotta get a camera...

khaine
05-07-2009, 07:30 PM
First off, Congrats fire harte REP heading your way, I do have my army painted up and I shall post the pics up during the week (although it counts for nothing). I can only offer my apologies on dropping out in january as real life events left me with no choice, I must say I would be interested in another 40k tale of gamers but I also understand that I have had my chance and
someone else deserves a shot, on a final note.. Thank you silver for running this competition REP to you also...

cheers
K

Hephesto
05-07-2009, 07:47 PM
I'll be discussing ideas with FH for a new round once he gets his internet sorted. Or when I get bored of writing the method section of my thesis this week, whichever happends first :D

Randy Johnson
05-07-2009, 08:07 PM
I'll be discussing ideas with FH for a new round once he gets his internet sorted. Or when I get bored of writing the method section of my thesis this week, whichever happends first :D
I'd say that, knowing my experience with computers, the latter will probably happen a lot earlier.

Now, I've already voiced my interest in the next installment of these fabulous gimmicks, but I, like Ossai, may have a problem with funding such a campaign. That said, that is the only thing I foresee becoming a problem. Time and other "life" aspects are not issues. Psh, real life, who does that... :p

The Dim Reaper
05-07-2009, 08:18 PM
First of all I want to apologise for the complete lack of participation to this competition. I am very sorry that my own laziness and unempolyment caused me to bow out of both the cometition and the astronomican due to my embarrasment and its taken me this long to face up to ithttp://emoticons4u.com/sad/1431.gif

Anyway onwards and upwards. Silver you made one hell of a competition and I shall rep you for it. I look forward to seeing what you have next up your sleeve.

FH you won with both skill and style. I have serious respect for your chaotic warband. Rep to you too. :)

Cheers,

Dim