PDA

View Full Version : Need help applying transfers

Randy Johnson
20-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Call me incompetent if you will, but I really don't get the basic instructions that came inside my Battleforce box.

I noticed that there wasn't any tutorial here on Astro, out of the 5 million other modeling works... So I was wondering if anyone had a better document explaining it, or if even, they'd like to give an example themselves!

Ossai
20-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Well, I need to apply a transfer on one of my blood angels anyway, so I shall get a tutorial in the works for you.
I also need to apply one to my whirlwind so the Tut will be split into two sections, vehicles and infantry.

Tallarn
20-06-2009, 04:30 PM
dont use a cup - the transfers will sink. use a shallow plate and get hot water from your sink. As hot as the sink will allow it to get - no need to boil any water on the stove.

cut out the decal and place it in the shallow plate with the hot water until it seperates. use an x-acto knife (hobby knife) to get the transfer out of the water once it has seperated from the paper. now use a brush with water from the plate to gently move the decal from the knife blade and onto the mini in its desired position.

Once the decal is on the mini use a second dry brush to remove any excess water. allow to dry and if you want to, use some decal set solution - comes a little bottle that you can find in most hobby store paint racks. The decal set solution will help in smoothing out the decal on the mini, apply in thin coats up to about 3-5, or when you get the decal properly set and blended on the mini.

Captain Castus
20-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Everything Tallarn said...

Plus... Transfers apply better to a varnished surface... If you don't like the gloss you can always dullcote it afterwards...

CC

Skringly
20-06-2009, 05:49 PM
If your doing SM shoulder pads, putting a little knick in the top or bottom can help it from creasing on the edge.

Randy Johnson
23-06-2009, 02:39 PM
In case anyone is wondering, I'm asking mainly for my Necron Destroyers and the Monolith. Both have large amounts of flat space/smooth surface to work with, so I figure I'd ask since I'm going to start getting the former painted pretty soon.

Anyway, thanks for the advice already given. Ossai, you said you're in the process of making some sort of tutorial... I'm not gonna rush you or anything, but I'd love to see some pics whenever you can. It would be greatly appreciated. :)

Ossai
23-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Righto, I just need some light to take those pics, had forgotten all about this actually :O
Tomorrow should be good so I shall snap some piccys then :D

darknight
23-06-2009, 09:38 PM
in case your interested their is an applying transfers tutorial coming up in the astro mag :)

Skringly
24-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Yes, I'm looking forward to what they have to say in that.

Randy Johnson
25-06-2009, 11:18 PM
in case your interested their is an applying transfers tutorial coming up in the astro mag :)

And when would that be? Sometime in July, yes? Sorry, I'm a bit out of the loop : |

darknight
26-06-2009, 08:52 AM
ah no worries, yep early july (if on track :))

Randy Johnson
26-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Sounds good. I will probably have quite a few models to put transfers on by then (I've already finished the first few of those), so I will do them all at once.