PDA

View Full Version : Inventing Your Own LOTR Army

Carrelio
13-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Inventing my own LOTR army... yep you heard me right.

Alright everyone, because the title of the thread probably got everyone saying, ďLord of the Rings already has great armies! Go to hell!Ē let me explain. My issue is not that I canít find an army I like, I like all of them. The trouble comes in the fact that I simply canít handle the decisions of picking which ones I like more than others, and each has its own reasons for me liking or disliking it.

For example, I love the Rohan models, but Iím not a big fan of their fluff. I really like the uniqueness of Angmar, but find it hard to create a cohesive force. I love WargsÖ but Iím not big on goblins of any type, so the whole fluff bit throws me for a loop yet again!

I simply canít find an army that is a perfect fit for me.

So I got thinking. I like Rohan, itís just some of their heroes and fluff that I have problems with. So what if I built a new army around the forces of Rohan, creating my own heroes and my own fluff. It would be challenge to say the least. I donít even know how to play LOTRís so making a character to fit the fluff I make for him will be nearly impossible. But, I figure if I can just keep things simple to start, using Rohan stats under a different name and then slowly transitioning as I get to know the game better, I might stand a chance.

My only real issue here is the mechanics behind this. People love their LOTR very much, and tend to be a bit protective of it, so Iím wondering if I would get angry responses. The best way to test the water, in my opinion, was to ask here first. So what do you think? Building a new fluffy army for LOTR to be used in a War of the Ring game!

Hephesto
13-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Well Tolkien's stuff is full of 'unused' stuff, so you good just go with a force not yet used in the mini game. As said it will be a challenge, but a very interesting one ;)

Carrelio
13-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Yes... the key would appear to be fitting in a random army to a world that is full to the brim already.

Trygon
13-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Chaos Marines in LotR!

Carrelio
13-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Exactly Trygon my friend. You see... I was thinking that upon the witchkings defeat, the energy release created a rift in the time space continuem trhough which warp spawn first appeared. With a link connecting the worlds, it was only a matter of time before the raw pwers of chaos made their way to the LOTR universe, and inevitably... brought some chaos space marines to enforce their power.

But really... I was thinking more along the lines of a neutral faction of nomadic men, focusing mainly around mobile troops such as horsemen.

suicidal0
13-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Birdmen using charr-grilled chicken pies as weapons and cheese armour with a fish sheild and riding Killer Apples!

or just chuck norris who would be powerfull enough to have single-handedly won the battle of pelennor feilds

Teh_Frm4terer
14-06-2009, 11:41 AM
I'd say do it. I made a Black Numenorean Army based around the time when the Dark Marshall had just been turned to Sauron's will, taking with him many Numenoreans.

I used the existing stats for the Dark Marshall, Morgul Riders, and Black Numenorean Warriors, but created my own for all the other choices, such as the Numenorean Marshalls, Captains, Brutes (Easterling-ish statline) and even some Characters, like the dreaded Master-Slaver Dra'Stuhl, or Furlung, Shaper of the North.

Best advice I can give is:

1) Make your force around an existing army from somewhere in the Tolkien universe, even if it is only a mention. This helps you make your force more 'valid' in the canon and on the tabletop.

2) When coming up with stats or ideas for a unit, think of a unit already in the game that resembles yours. If the similarities are pretty close, you should consider just "counting" your units as these pre-existing ones, to avoid confusion. Alternatively, take the already existing statline and change it slightly to better represent your unit, remembering to raise the points cost if you change it enough. Which bring me to...

3) When in doubt, make your unit more expensive. If a rule seems like it could be unbalanced, scrap it. When a unit seems like it might be overpowered, weaken it. This is important. Better your army be slightly underpowered than slightly overpowered. If, after a few games, you still have a clear disadvantage with a rule or unit, that's when you tweak it. But only slightly. In the next game, you may find that the -1 point cost has balanced your unit, or making that special rule 6" longer has balanced your character.

So yeah. They are the steps I use. They've worked for me so far (over several game systems too :p )...

darknight
14-06-2009, 11:48 AM
haha i read this bit and it said i dont like the horses and i thought know what you mean i hate painting horses...then a blink and it was heroes,lol. sorry...
na make your own, its personal then and a lot of fun, bits from them all eh

LAZtheinfamous
14-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Well, actually, I believe that the LotR universe is really well detailed by Tolkien. The Books of Unfinished Tales are excellent histories and could even have a reference to something akin to what you want to build. This project would be a vast undertaking and research (might as well make it a paper, get some credit for it). Hmm. Maybe that should be next year's big box purchase...

Carrelio
14-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Well... in true wargamer fashion, I have neglected studying for exams to read up on some LOTR fluff... and it's brutal... wikipedia is just link after link! There is no end to it! And no way of keeping it all straight!

But as for a force, I decided I'd start from the very beginning and see where I got to. So...

I'm thinking an offshoot of the second house of man... havn't got all that far in the reading yet. So I don't know when exactly the group would split off and become nomadicish. Any ideas?

Teh_Frm4terer
15-06-2009, 12:27 AM
You could just make them an offshoot of the nomadic men who came just before Melkor's return. They came from the North-East(?) I think. Near the start of the Silmarillion, it describes them. Their fate after Beleriand got pwned is unexplained. You could just say they survived by fleeing past The Shire into Dunland.

Carrelio
14-07-2009, 03:18 AM
I've been reading Children of Hurin as I really like the second house of man, and I've decided that the best way to go about building an army to the theme of the second house of man is to pick a hero from said house, Turin fit nicely! Now, Turin did quite a bit of adventuring... which makes for a hard choice to be had here... the toss up is between his gang of outlaws or his army of elves... the new elf models would be sweet, but rangers of the north would make equally good bandits. Thoughts?

Hephesto
14-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Why not combine both of them, hooded armored elves or rangers with elf bits would look stunning.

Carrelio
10-08-2009, 02:20 AM
Well good news everyone! I decided to go with the elves over the rangers simply because the point value for the money was so much better with elves! Now my next problem is a colour scheme... all I have to go on is Turin's picture on the cover of Children of Hurin... and really... I don't want my elves in brown cloaks. Does anyone know the colours of the Elven houses from way back then at the dawn of time?

Honsou
10-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Greens and browns, basically.

The Vulture
10-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Well if you like Angmar so much. Why dont you recreate the Barbarians of Carn Dum? I once considered using Rohan models to make them, but instead went Fallen Realms.