PDA

View Full Version : Monolith conversion

Randy Johnson
12-06-2009, 04:00 AM
I'm looking to do a monolith conversion into a Doomsday Monolith which I plan on using for Apocalypse games. I have almost certainly decided to go with the multi-monolith setup for my army that I have been thinking of for a while, which means that going into high points games, I will be taking my monoliths as one squadron, because the Gauss Obliterator is just awesome.

Apocalypse for my Necron army is still out of my reach, mainly because of money, and not having enough of it to dedicate to massive army expansion. That isn't to say that I won't get around to it, it will just take a while. That being said, it wouldn't hurt to get started on thinking of how to do it.

I can't find any good pictures of what I'm looking for, but if any of you have seen the Monolith squadron formation (I forget what it's called) in the latest Apocalypse book, you will know what I'm looking for. It's basically a Monolith with tall extensions that rise well above the height of the regular monolith. I'm looking into what would be the best way of converting a monolith for this. I'm looking for, first and more importantly, cost-effectiveness; second, ease of conversion, so that I don't spend many hours stressing over my incompetent ass with a huge monolith. :o

Any ideas?

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
12-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Just stick a hello kitty head on and you're done. :)

Skringly
12-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Oh Noes, not Hello Kitty! It's already claimed so much!

lt pivole
12-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Replace the flux arcs with shootas, give it a demolisher cannon, a hat and a thick oak darawbridge. and a boiler room and tender. No. I have no idea.

Ossai
12-06-2009, 10:28 PM
may it now claim our sanity...

...HELLO KITTY IS HERESY. Those who succumb shall be excecuted by the order of the Inquisition.

grimdisco
13-06-2009, 03:54 AM
LOL!!!

Well I would start with poster board. Make the size and shape you want it to be for each part.
Use tape to mock assemble it. Once you have a good working mock up.
Use the poster board as a traceable pattern for plastic card.

You can even go as far as to buy Clear green rods to add to it.

That would be my approach.

Randy Johnson
15-06-2009, 12:32 PM
I've heard this plastic card stuff can do some pretty neat things. How cheap is it, for example, in comparison to green stuff, or even playdoh (I'm dead serious about that last one)?

And sorry, no Hello Kitty Monolith. Although to be fair I wouldn't mind doing it for the sole reason that it is considered heresy by the Imperium and would therefore get extremely funny/strange reactions from Imperial opponents (or just about anyone, probably)!

grimdisco
15-06-2009, 01:17 PM
The most cost effective way to buy plastic card is to go to Wall-mart and buy for sale signs.
they are about a buck or so for a good sized sheet.

Wolf Lord Mattian Wolfbane
15-06-2009, 01:57 PM
will they not come with big red lettering saying FOR SALE though

Captain Castus
15-06-2009, 02:00 PM
will they not come with big red lettering saying FOR SALE though

Only a problem if you try and stick to the 'plain grey' colour scheme... :p As far too many seem too... ;)

CC

15-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Technically its plain silver

Randy Johnson
15-06-2009, 11:04 PM
I can always paint over it right?

(Don't answer that; rhetorical question)

16-06-2009, 12:18 PM
no you cant paint over it its against the rules
page 76 in the 5th Edition Rulebook "At no point should models with for sale signs on be painted over ever, failure to adheed to this warnong could result in you being banned from the hobby"

see go and check it

Randy Johnson
17-06-2009, 02:15 AM
I'd be a bit more intimidated by it if whoever wrote the rule took the time to spell everything properly. :p

17-06-2009, 10:39 AM
yeah FAIL on my part there