PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with drybrushing...

Killer
04-06-2009, 02:17 PM
I would really appreciate it if someone could tell, or even better, show me the correct tecnique for drybrushing!

Cause when I do it it just looks like a drunken goblin that tried to be spiteful and ruin my mini! :(

Vulpus Rex
04-06-2009, 02:22 PM
The basic idea is to have almost no paint on the brush so it only covers the raised areas of the model. One youtube tutorial here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D4HHssfkWI)isn't bad.

Captain Castus
04-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah... Virtually no paint on the brush is the key...

It should seem like you're wiping it all off or you get a horrible 'splurge' across the surface... (although on very textures surfaces 'overbrushing' with more paint on the brush can work very well! ;))

CC

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
04-06-2009, 02:51 PM
You may need a few coats of drybrush over a black surface.

Nomad
04-06-2009, 03:02 PM
1/ Don't thin your paint as much as normal, if at all.
2/ Cover about 1/2 - 2/3 of the bristles with paint.
3/ Wipe of excess paint on a tissue or piece of paper. I prefer a tissue as it will absorb any excess moisture from the brush as well as the excess paint.
4/ When you have just enough paint to leave a faint mark, that is about right.
5/ Hold your brush at right angles to the model and stroke it firmly, but not too hard, on the area you wish to colour.*
6/ It may not appear anything is actually going on, but if you repeat your strokes, a build up of the appropriate colour will begin to emerge. The more repetition, the more colour.

*For certain things you may just brush the area with the brush tip lightly.
Hope this helps

Be warned:- Drybrushing is harsh on the brush. Use an old brush or one that is expendable.

Killer
04-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys! I practiced it a bit and it looks better already!

I think the biggest problem I had was the wrong brush! But all the tips certainly helped!;)

I will update my WIP shortly to show you guys how its coming along!

Thanks again!

grimdisco
06-06-2009, 01:40 AM
If I could give all of Astro Rep I would.
I have never seen so many helpful people on one sight.