PDA

View Full Version : 40k board

Kiefer13
20-07-2006, 03:56 AM
hey all. My dad has just gotten into the hobby after me introducing it too him. ( he especially likes making the models and terrian). He has a spare room in his flat and is going to turn it into a gasming room. We plan to have 2 boards (a fantasy and a 40k).

The fantasy one is going to be an empire castle and an orc castle at opposite ends of a desert. I havn\'t really thought of anything for da 40k one. My dad wants it to have a river or somthing cause he wants have a go at making some boats for the orks and imperials.

Can you guys think of anything we could do that has plenty of water in it yet still has some character instead of just open sea?

Captain Toenail
20-07-2006, 03:57 AM
A flooded volcano, perhaps?

Kiefer13
20-07-2006, 03:58 AM
would the boats not melt? The orks one would be made out of wood and that\'s not the most lava resistant matetriel...

Starks333
20-07-2006, 04:00 AM
only thign i cant think of that has lots of river-ish things and is realistic is an irrigated farmland(which is perfect for fantasy battles!)

Starks

Captain Toenail
20-07-2006, 04:01 AM
I meant water! You could have a huge lake of blood with a throne of skulls in the middle...

DavicusPrime
20-07-2006, 04:02 AM
Depends on if you want the board to be modular or fixed.

One thing I\'ve seen is a beach, about a foot of ocean, 6\" of beach that fades into regular terrain.

Thing is that if you make a fixed terrain table, you will get stuck with that terrain. Perhaps you guys could make modular terrain.

You could make a modular river/lake that could include bridges to fight over or an island in the lake.

I\'m sure you folks will come up with something.

Have fun.

-DavicusPrime

Kiefer13
20-07-2006, 04:02 AM
sounds more like your type of board tonail. You collecting lost and the damned and all. :P

Mabye an industrial city with canals filled with toxic sludge?

Captain Toenail
20-07-2006, 04:03 AM
Cool! Bridges and islands. If you did that you could make it lava.

Kiefer13
20-07-2006, 04:04 AM
yeah, well we have plenty of room so we can have 2 6/8x4 tables. God I though I would have to wait for my own house to get a gaming room...

DavicusPrime
20-07-2006, 04:05 AM
Captain Toenail wrote:

I meant water! You could have a huge lake of blood with a throne of skulls in the middle...

Ooh. Like Crater Lake in Oregon, USA. The mountain blew it\'s top and the resulting crater filled with rainwater.

You could do the same thing but claim it\'s an old impact crater from a crashed ship or meteor... A wrecked ship under the water would be a cool effect.

-DavicusPrime

Kiefer13
20-07-2006, 04:08 AM
sounds cool. My dad works in a metalworking place for a job so I didn\'t expect him to be so good at fiddly stuff like painting.) but he\'s right at home with the terrian.

Skrall
20-07-2006, 04:09 AM
Ahh, on a none 40k topic, anyone seen this new trailer for age of reckoning (Wh pc game)? I\'m gonna model the DE vs HE.

hawke

Captain Toenail
20-07-2006, 04:12 AM
Anyway, speaking of terrain. Could you make mushroom shaped platforms at varying heights which the models could jump from one to the other or get knocked over the edge?

Kiefer13
20-07-2006, 04:13 AM
A bit off-topic, Hawke. Your gonna have to shoot yourself in the face now. :laugh:

Captain Toenail
20-07-2006, 04:17 AM
Several times, just to make sure!

Kiefer13
20-07-2006, 04:19 AM
with a bolter, no wait a fleshborer! Enjoy you\'re late night snack of flesh-eating beatles!

Skrall
20-07-2006, 04:26 AM
Just one more off topic and i can lock.

come on snake eyes

Hawke

Kiefer13
20-07-2006, 04:28 AM
...soo back on topic that big lake crater idea and my industrial city sound good. I\'ll have to think about it though. Feel free to continue to contribute ideas.

#mutters under breath about hawke posting the first off-topic post#

DavicusPrime
20-07-2006, 04:45 AM
A Large Collection pond within an industrial sector would be very interesting...

-DavicusPrime

Kiefer13
21-07-2006, 03:21 AM
I still dunno what I\'m going to do. I think I\'ll have lots of 2x2 squares with differnt terrian on them that could slot into a 8x4 table tro create different battlefields.

I\'ll put up some pics when i\'m done but it\'le be a while, gotta build all that terrain :blink:

Post edited by: kiefer13, at: 2006/07/21 04:21

DavicusPrime
21-07-2006, 03:34 AM
I still dunno what I\'m going to do. I think I\'ll have lots of 2x2 squares with differnt terrian on them that could slot into a 8x4 table tro create different battlefields.

I think this is an excellent idea. Having a board that can change between games is the best.

I personally like a plain board with a selection of terrain pieces that can be positioned anywhere on the board. The only thing that would change would be the color of the board to depict different battle fields.

I have a 4\' x 5\'11\" table with raised sides (due to a mistake we made while building the board we lost an inch on the long end if you were wondering why 5\'11\"). The board is covered with green felt that we use for wilderness battlefields. But the raised edge will allow us to drop different boards into it, painted up for different terrain types. Plus it keep us from losing dice. :)

-DavicusPrime

Captain Toenail
21-07-2006, 04:00 AM
What about a vast trench network?

Kiefer13
21-07-2006, 04:16 AM
Well I could make the squares quite deep and could cut trenches into a few of them, that would be cool for an iimperial battleline with lots of bunkers and craters.

DavicusPrime
21-07-2006, 04:34 AM
For that you could make larger tiles that fully incorporate your trenches. Otherwise you\'d have to make sure all the connecting trenches line up with all the other trench tiles or you couldn\'t really use them interchangably.

Any clue what material you\'d be using for your tiles?

I think I\'d try Insulation foam backed with hardboard personally.

-DavicusPrime

Indra
21-07-2006, 04:42 AM
Wow hard topic. 40k boards can be really diverse. Divide up your thoughts.

Planet? What planet will it be on? A desert? Industrial? Agro? Feral? Ice?

Inhabitants? will it be colonised? New colony? Established colony? Megalopolis?

Will it be war torn or still untouched? Buildings can be partially ruined, intact, or utterly demolished.

Think of all these things and work along a flat expanse of board, and then if you decide to, do a big themed piece such as your flooded volcanoe/crater etc.

Thats my tip.

Skrall
21-07-2006, 05:49 AM
Or do what the smart folk do and go \"I want a warzone like mustafar!\"

Hawke

Kiefer13
22-07-2006, 01:21 AM
I know what you mean Indra and it\'s too hard to decide, that\'s why i\'m going with the tiles thing so I can have differnt stuff if I feel like it. If the table holds 8 squares (2x2 squares so 8x4 table). I can have say 20-40 differnent squares eventually that can swap to completly different things like city, desert etc. It\'ll take moths and moths to make all that terrian but it will be worth it in the end and it will be fun to make anyways. :)