PDA

View Full Version : Anybody actually built a Bunker?

DavicusPrime
20-07-2006, 01:57 AM
I\'m in need of designs and building techniques. Got any?

I have some ideas but most suck. Building anything other than the standard box/rectangle requires lots of odd angles that make construction annoying.

-DavicusPrime

Captain Toenail
20-07-2006, 01:58 AM
I have built a really flimsy cardboard pillbox! All I needed was some cardboard, scissors and glue.

DavicusPrime
20-07-2006, 02:49 AM
What I\'ve got in mind right now is an elonggated Octagon with firing slits all the way around. The current design is a double thick foamcard wall with the roof being removable.

The roof will also incorporate a fortified firing position.

The roof will be made from foamcore with an insulation foam battlement.

I haven\'t decided on the size of the bunker... assuming it\'s designed for Imperials, it should only need to hold 10 men. But since the Orks that I often fight have larger units I might make it bigger to make it reasonable for them to cram in there.

I just want to see what other folks have done and if they\'ve come up with any ideas I can loot.

-DavicusPrime

Captain Toenail
20-07-2006, 03:20 AM
Cool! Where do you get foamboard? I\'ve tried lots of shops already.

DarthXander
20-07-2006, 03:31 AM
Sounds a good idea!

If you make the walls from two sheets of foamboard make the inner firing slit smaller than the outer giving the structure more depth.

Like the sound of the position on top!

As for angles remember that exterior angles of any shape add up to 360 so 360/8 is 45. So subtracting 45 from 180 the interior angles of the octagon will be 135 degrees each or if you are difficult that 3/4 of a radian

Have fun!

DavicusPrime
20-07-2006, 03:39 AM
DarthXander wrote:

Sounds a good idea!

If you make the walls from two sheets of foamboard make the inner firing slit smaller than the outer giving the structure more depth.

Like the sound of the position on top!

As for angles remember that exterior angles of any shape add up to 360 so 360/8 is 45. So subtracting 45 from 180 the interior angles of the octagon will be 135 degrees each or if you are difficult that 3/4 of a radian

Have fun!

This is where I\'m dreading the design work... I\'m going to have to break out my drafting gear. Perhaps i just need to make a form tool that I can use to ensure that I have the angles right when I\'m glueing them. Once the glue dries, everything should be cool.

My plan is to make the inner slit smaller than the outer just as you suggested. I also want to fill in the gap with modelling clay to create an angle around the slots.

Once I\'ve got this thing designed and then have the basic structure made I\'ll get pictures up for all to see.

-DavicusPrime

DarthXander
20-07-2006, 03:49 AM
Sounds good! Have a go in card first or paper 2 see how it goes as a bit of a draft and then keep that protractor handy!

DavicusPrime
20-07-2006, 03:56 AM
Captain Toenail wrote:

Cool! Where do you get foamboard? I\'ve tried lots of shops already.

Primary Terrain Materials:

Foamboard/Foamcore/foamcard = thin foam sheets sandwiched between poster board. I get mine at craft/art shops.

Insulation foam = 1\" or 2\" thick Pink or blue foam sheets. I get mine at DIY/building supply shops. Not everyone seems to carry it.

Masonite/Hardboard/MDF = 1/8\" or 1/4\" thick sheets. I use it to base all my terrain. Get it from the same place I get my insulation foam.

These are all in the US. So if you aren\'t a yank like me things might be harder to find. For about $12 US I got enough material to make 3 hills, 3 rock outcroppings, bases for three forests, 6 tank traps, bases for 6 razorwire pieces and the only thing I\'m running out of is the 2\' x 4\' sheet of 1/8\" Hardboard I use for bases. I haven\'t yet used half the insulation foam or foamboard.

-DavicusPrime

Captain Toenail
20-07-2006, 03:59 AM
Hmmm. Things are more expensive here in Scotland. I have already tried some art shops but they didn\'t have any. I was going to build Chaos themed tunnels but went off the idea because I couldn\'t find the materials.

Kiefer13
20-07-2006, 04:01 AM
oh yeah, I remember that, with the chaos chapel in the middle and the blood pits? That was a cool idea.

Indra
21-07-2006, 04:34 AM
I made a Tyranid bunker!

Look:

Front View
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/RonJonesLP/40K-%20Tyranids/TyranidBunkerFront.jpg
Rear View: Note the cave entry
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/RonJonesLP/40K-%20Tyranids/TyranidBunkerRear.jpg
The Lid removed
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/RonJonesLP/40K-%20Tyranids/TyranidBunkerLid.jpg
The Model Minus Lid
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/RonJonesLP/40K-%20Tyranids/TyranidBunkerInterior.jpg

Yes, a nid bunker. MY fluff demanded it. And I wanted a bunker.

:)

DavicusPrime
21-07-2006, 04:36 AM
What materials did you use, Indra?

-DavicusPrime

Indra
21-07-2006, 04:43 AM
Pink foam, foam board and some slate. thats it. Cheap and easy.

:)

Oh and some thin card too.