PDA

View Full Version : Mud, mud, mud..

Wrathchild
27-05-2009, 03:07 AM
So I started painting my objective (A hatch to a super secret bunker in a muddy no-man's landish area), and well, oddly enough, scorched brown is just plain awful mud. Anyone have any tips for getting it to look properly mucky and generally disgusting looking?

LAZtheinfamous
27-05-2009, 03:39 AM
Hmm. Hobby helmet on and functioning!

1. Base coat of Snakebite leather.
2. Several layers of denub mud and gryphonne sepia.
3. Drybrush of scorched earth.

See how that looks!

Wrathchild
27-05-2009, 03:43 AM
Hmm, I believe I will need another stop to the hobby store for those.. Scorched brown will have to do till tomorrow! Thanks for the tip.

Captain Castus
27-05-2009, 06:48 AM
For proper muckiness weathering pigments are best by far... But that's just another trip to the store! :D

CC

Skrall
27-05-2009, 07:53 AM
try mixing it with vermin bron, and a couple of the other brown. devilian mud wash works great too. for the best mud effect though, try polfiller as the base for it. works wonders

skrall

Wolf Lord Mattian Wolfbane
03-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Devlan Mud, spelling people

Jokes aside the formentioned technique from LAZ should do it

Teh_Frm4terer
11-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Devlan Mud is the almost perfect. It will lead us to the Holy Land of the Emperor with its awesomeness...

That being said... I find that:

Scorched Brown -> Snakebite Leather -> Heavy Chestnut Ink (if you have it) -> 1:1 Water Effects/Devlan Mud

...works the best. The even mix of WE and Mud changes the effect from 'ultra-shiny' to 'gluggy-muddy-reflection'.

If you don't have WE, you could use Gloss Varnish, it's the same stuff.