PDA

View Full Version : Armory Spray Primer Blows

zaneman
18-05-2009, 06:11 AM
I ordered some of this with my minis, and tried it out, and it covered my minis in a gritty sandy texture, I called the place i ordered from and they said to shake it more, I did and I got the same effect, this ruined a combat squad and termie squad for me don't buy armory!

Captain Castus
18-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Was it very warm or cold where you sprayed? That's the usual reason for this happening...

CC

zaneman
18-05-2009, 11:04 AM
The weather was warm

Deathboon
18-05-2009, 11:27 AM
I never ever use GW sprays, they have always given me terrible results. Try using Break fluid to strip them, its the most common method for stripping plastics.

The Only Spray Primers i ever use are Color Choice, I think its the Wal-Mart store brand. They always go on thin and smooth with no loss of detail.

darknight
18-05-2009, 11:30 AM
yea, dunno where your based, but in uk, just go to halfords and get cheaper car primer, black.white.grey, whatever you need

Aeth
18-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Never had a problem with the GW stuff, but I am intrigued by the idea of using car primer.

darknight
18-05-2009, 10:07 PM
its the same stuff, just a cellulose spray from any diy shop, but i said car as a rule, ive used it from the very beginning of making minis

Fear the Psyker
18-05-2009, 11:02 PM
I had the same problem with Armory primers and quickly switched to GW and now Duplicolor car primer. Both of those were far superior to Armory.

Kishvier
18-05-2009, 11:08 PM
I never ever use GW sprays, they have always given me terrible results. Try using Break fluid to strip them, its the most common method for stripping plastics.

The Only Spray Primers i ever use are Color Choice, I think its the Wal-Mart store brand. They always go on thin and smooth with no loss of detail.

Well Armoury primer isn't GW so...

Deathboon
19-05-2009, 03:14 AM
Well Armoury primer isn't GW so...

Ah, well I've never heared of it before, but in anycase, I've had that same problem every time I've tried to use GW sprays, so i no longer do. Although it has been over 8 years since i tried them, so they may have gotten better.

Alcander
19-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Ah, well I've never heared of it before, but in anycase, I've had that same problem every time I've tried to use GW sprays, so i no longer do. Although it has been over 8 years since i tried them, so they may have gotten better.

Which primer do you buy? You're going to want Chaos Black (or Skull white). Basically, whatever color, just make sure you're not buying the Roughcoat primer. Also, the GW primers have been er, upgraded (?) recently, so if you used them a while back and had the issue, it's no longer the case. But that was a long time ago they fixed them, so yeah...

Deathboon
19-05-2009, 03:37 AM
It was Chaos Black, and my first squad of Chaos marines. they were so crustified by the paint that not even Old Man Nurgle would recognize them. Thank the dark powers for pewters and acetone!

Alcander
19-05-2009, 04:38 AM
It was Chaos Black, and my first squad of Chaos marines. they were so crustified by the paint that not even Old Man Nurgle would recognize them. Thank the dark powers for pewters and acetone!

How long ago was this?

The Vulture
19-05-2009, 07:01 AM
How long ago was this?

He mentioned it a few posts ago..."over 8 years ago"

They have greatly improved since then....I only use GW Primer Spray now....they used to suck....not anymore!

Arkaedin
19-05-2009, 07:41 PM
I exclusively use Armory Primer. Never had a problem. Are you spraying correctly? IE) short burst around 9" away from the models being sprayed? The short bursts and distance is key to getting good results. I've seen many... people... hold down the nozzle as close as they can get to the model. And then they complain that the primer sucks....

Alcander
19-05-2009, 08:06 PM
He mentioned it a few posts ago..."over 8 years ago"

They have greatly improved since then....I only use GW Primer Spray now....they used to suck....not anymore!

Ah, didn't catch that. thank you.

Skringly
19-05-2009, 08:26 PM
To be perfectly honst I've never seen or heard of Armoury before.

darknight
19-05-2009, 10:14 PM
armour are the people that do the dip as well, army painter, (i think thats right)

kharn the betrayer
20-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I would have to say that in all honesty the GW primers are the best I have used. Recenty they have improved the formulae and it covers everything nicely.

There I bet some of you expected grumpy old me to slag off GW....

See I can be nice when the Meds are working....

Alcander
20-05-2009, 09:15 PM
I would have to say that in all honesty the GW primers are the best I have used. Recenty they have improved the formulae and it covers everything nicely.

There I bet some of you expected grumpy old me to slag off GW....

See I can be nice when the Meds are working....

And when you remember to take them... >.> *hides*

Vulpus Rex
20-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Don't worry he had a double dose today :D...... but tomorrow :eek:

SquallEvoker
21-05-2009, 12:05 AM
I tend to use Krylon Fusion spray paint as a primer. It works wonders, goes on thin, covers everything nicely, doesn't clump unless you abuse it, and best of all, it is comes in gloss, semi-gloss, or regular. I swear by it.

Kishvier
21-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Krylon is what I use, cheap and nice coat.

grimdisco
22-05-2009, 11:45 PM
I just use Krylon primer and there flat colors are great as primer too.
Pluss there clear spray paint has (or had its been a long time sense I looked into it) a warranty. not to yellow

KaizerVonAwesome
27-05-2009, 08:33 PM
I used Armory once.

Only once.

Get where I'm going with this? (Hint: It sucks.)

marcus-ascendant
29-05-2009, 12:16 AM
i use $3 KRYLON flat and matte spray. i can get three cans for the price of one GW can, and it works the bloody well same.

Skringly
30-05-2009, 02:06 AM
"What by all thats Holy is KRYLON! STOP SAYING KRYLON!"

"KRYLON..."
"AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

The Vulture
30-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Hmmm...I might just have to try out this Krylon that you guys are raving about...

Captain Castus
30-05-2009, 07:25 AM
I think Krylon in the UK is just as expensive as GW spray... Because it's US based... :(

The only other one I've tried is Vallejo Grey Primer on vehicles which has worked a treat...

CC

LAZtheinfamous
30-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Well, to be honest, I used to use the Armory sprays in the late 90's/early 2000's, and did not experience any problems with it. Then I switched to generic car grey primer (worked a treat). Howevever, nowadays, I only use the GW Chaos Black primer. There's a few reasons for this. (Yet another Infamous List)

1. If I don't paint an area, the black remains black and doesn't fade.
2. Color matching, just a shade off of true black drives me nuts.
3. The smell. In the winter I spray prime in the Warhammer room in the basement. Other spray primers have a really spray painty smell, which stinks up the whole house, which angers my wife, who then in turn threatens my toys. Open the windows, close the doors, still the same effect- my wife with a hammer. The GW spray primer doesn't smell spray painty (kinda sweetish actually), and no angry wife (well, not as angry, she just says "Were you priming again? Stop doing that! AND get that stupid tank thingy off of my china closet!")

Though as a side note, I miss the days when you could get a prime can of the various GW colors, like Ultramarines Blue, Blood Red, and Dark Angels Green. Those were great for a quick basecoat.

marcus-ascendant
30-05-2009, 04:47 PM
"my wife with a hammer"

pictures please! :)

KaizerVonAwesome
30-05-2009, 07:29 PM
"What by all thats Holy is KRYLON! STOP SAYING KRYLON!"
"KRYLON..."
"AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

KRYLON KRYLON AND KRYLON.

You take your krylons like a man or else!

marcus-ascendant
31-05-2009, 12:17 AM
i second that notion!