PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Advice

Deathboon
15-05-2009, 02:35 PM
My son just had his 7th birthday, and has been begging for an army of his own. So i bought a black reach box, snagged out the orks, added a tactical squad, and a pair of razorbacks. I asked him how he wanted them painted, or if their was a chapter he liked, and he said he wanted to play Salamanders.

I've just finished painting his first squad, and Razorback, and Putting on the salamanders decals (which i've never used before) I noticed the damned things wont sit flush on the shoulder pads. Does anyone have an advise on how to solve this issue?

Consadine
15-05-2009, 02:43 PM
How are you putting the transfers on?

Deathboon
15-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Soaking them in warm water, and sliding them on with a paint brush, which is fine for the vehicles, but the top edge of the shoulder transfers wants to stick up.

Consadine
15-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Hm.... I'll have to experiment when I'm home later today, but...

Have you tried putting the top end on first/sliding the top off first? Or perhaps using a very wet brush? The sides might be too close together and need pulling apart.

I've done minimal work with transfers, so my advice is sketchy at best.

Captain Castus
15-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Putting decals on small curved surfaces like this is a real pain...

There are a few things you can do to help them sit down properly...

1) Apply gloss or satin varnish to the area
2) Cut away as much of the excess 'clear' decal from around the image as possible (i.e. make it as small as possible)
3) With some shapes cutting nicks into the decal can also help it 'curve'
4) Use warm water to help the decal soften or use a decal softener
5) Use a decal fixer rather than water to apply the decal

After they're applied I 'paint' them slightly (to make them look less decal-like), then put on another layer of varnish... You can dullcote the mini to lose the shine if you don't like it...

Hope that helps...

IMO GW make there SM shoulder decals too big!! :(

CC

Deathboon
15-05-2009, 02:58 PM
4) Use warm water to help the decal soften or use a decal softener
5) Use a decal fixer rather than water to apply the decal
Softener, Fixer? what are these mystical things of which you speak?

Captain Castus
15-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Stuff like...

this (http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/revell-30ml-decal-soft-decal-softener-39693-p-15958.html)

and

this (http://www.airfix.com/humbrol-paints-and-accessories/accessories/application-products/ac6133-28ml-decalfix-bottle-28ml-application-products/)

I use the second one which is supposed to work as both... It gives pretty good results... Better than water anyway!

Scale modellers are the guys to get master tips on decals from...

CC

Marticus
15-05-2009, 03:14 PM
i just really wet the area, and use a wet brush and sort of brush it down thendab it with a bit o tissue, not had any problems i admit

Tharal
21-05-2009, 11:41 AM
iv had the same problem whem my ultrmarines , never can get those things right :(

darknight
21-05-2009, 12:20 PM
no wories, cut the decal as cc says in an arc, make sure the area its aplied to is wet as well, slide on, voila, i also use a small amount of satin varnish, like one drop in the water it helps "glue" the transfer down

Skringly
21-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I find making a little nick in the bottom or top or both in the transfer help a great deal.