PDA

View Full Version : Nail polish remover!

Lascannon O_O!
05-05-2009, 07:41 PM
So I'm using nail polish remover to strip some of my earlier models (I put on too much black spray paint) and I noticed that submerging them fully makes the plastic all bendy.
Is this going to ruin my models or will they be ok?

General_Chaos
05-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I never had an issue, but I don't submerge them either. I use an old toothbrush

Kishvier
05-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Do you know if it works on metal models?

Lascannon O_O!
05-05-2009, 11:31 PM
It doesn't seem to be able to remove the basecoat and the plastic is getting really bendy...
If it helps kish, it seems to be able to remove everything but the basecoat.

Kishvier
05-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Alright, thanks mate.

Lascannon O_O!
08-05-2009, 11:26 PM
I used a bit too much nail polish remover on a model with too much base paint on, and it's starting to crack and look a lot like a plague marine.
Sweet.

Commissar_Cain
08-05-2009, 11:41 PM
K, Weve had several threads about stripping models, and nail polish remover will definitely ruin your plastics... SIMPLE GREEN is the best thing you can use.

Consadine
08-05-2009, 11:52 PM
K, Weve had several threads about stripping models, and nail polish remover will definitely ruin your plastics... SIMPLE GREEN is the best thing you can use.

He speaks the truth. Nail Polish Remover won't ruin metal minis, look out for plastic bits on them, tho. Makes for a good "I'm meeeeeeeeeeelting!" effect, tho.

Lascannon O_O!
09-05-2009, 12:12 AM
It only really melts them if you submerge them for an hour or more though.

LAZtheinfamous
09-05-2009, 12:14 AM
And yet again, I propose. (http://www.astronomican.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8682&highlight=removing+paint)

Commissar_Cain
09-05-2009, 02:06 AM
It only really melts them if you submerge them for an hour or more though.

Aye, until it gets past the paint, then it destroys the plastic...

Scoppio
09-05-2009, 04:41 AM
why not caustic soda?

Nail polish remover is acetona! you cant even use it on plastic that is not specially resistant agains it! It will ruin any plastic that it touchs!

gold-plated lasgun
09-05-2009, 12:45 PM
I use acetone free nail polish remover and a tooth brush.Works perfectly.

Lascannon O_O!
09-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Well, I now have 3 nurgle marines all because of nail polish remover!
Awesome.

Cyricist
13-05-2009, 02:54 PM
I've got quite a bit of experience with nail polish remover and removeing paint. Indeed, if you dip it, or brush it without leaving the marine in the substance, you only remove paint and damage to the plastic of the marine is minimal. Leave it in the mix (submerged) can have horrible melta effects on the marine and, unless you want to make a nice nurgle marine as stated above, is to be avoided at all time.

A cheap alternative may be vinegar. I got a tip that leaving it in vinegar overnight MAY release the paint and leave the plastic marine intact.

For all metal models anything goes. aceton, non aceton, break fluid... No melta accidents lest there be plastic bits.

spec10
13-05-2009, 03:23 PM
The best solution seems to be Simple Green, but I live in germany, so that's a bit hard to get. Nevertheless I found a good solution for me - Brake Fluid. It works like a charm and you can leave your plastic miniatures in there for months without doing any damage - i really tried that to see if the rumours were true :D.

Nail Polish Remover is a quick and dirty solution for small emergencies, but for anything else I wouldn't use it. Brake Fluid works easy. You leave the miniature in the fluid for a few hours (over night is a good choice for impatient ppl like me ;)) and then clean it with a toothbrush. If you waited long enough, the paint comes off without the need for any pressure on the brush.

Lascannon O_O!
15-05-2009, 10:44 PM
And now I'm up to seven Nurgle marines!
:D
The awesome thing is that they aren't chaos models, but loyalist space marines.
Makes them look cool.