PDA

View Full Version : WoC Sorcerer Wargear help

Snoza
29-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Hey Guys

Im not sure if this is were this is meant to go, Here are some ideas for a Sorcerer Lord, but i cant seem to find out which is better, and also feel free to post up any Suggestions as well. (points arent a Worry)

Sorcerer Lord:

Book of Secrets, Collar of Khorne, Spell Familar, Armour of Morrslieb
Barded Chaos Steed or Chaos Dragon, Mark of Tzeentch.

Sorcerer Lord:

Infernal Puppet, Book of Secrets, The Bronze Armour of Zhrakk, Power Stone.
Chaos Dragon or Barded Chaos Steed. Mark of Tzeentch.

Please let me know what you think:

Snoza

Killer
29-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Hmmm... Thats a tough one! I'm currently sitting with the same problem!

I Like putting mine on the Dragon and giving him as much defence as possible... I found the "father of blades" to be quite a usefull weapon, as its ability works on ranged as well as melee attacks...

The Golden Eye of T also works well vs cannon shots and other shooting! effectively giving your Dragon a 5+ WS and Lord a 3+ WS vs shooting...

The book of secrets is, IMO, better used on a Sorcerer or (if you REALLY want to), a Chosen Champion. Your Lord is a very good spellcaster already and knows enough spells already!

The Collar of Khorne is very good on a Tzeentch Sorcerer Lord! Good thinking!

Instead of the bronze armour, rather give him the enchanted shield, if he is going to ride on the Dragon of course...

The Armour of Damn is always a winner for the Sorcerer Lord! makes him quite hard to kill!

Well, hope this helps! If I think of anything I let you know!...

beergod
29-04-2009, 12:24 PM
I would go with a Dragon and Mark of Nurgle, Nurgle spells tend to be better, plus it makes it harder to hit you with shooting. As for the puppet does some else in your army carry the Black Tongue? It works best in that combo. Armour of Damnation, Spell Familiar, Favor of the Gods, Conjoined Homunculus or Diabolic Splendor.

It's harder to hit you so it makes the Armour that much more useful

Killer
29-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Indeed! I agree!

I use the Nurgle Sorcerer Lord on the Dragon, but the Tzeentch Lord is also very cool! I actually used him first...

Snoza
04-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys you have raised somethings i will indeed have to think about :)

(this is unrelated to the Topic of this thread, i just didnt want to start a knew one for this)

I just thought of something, for my unit of Knights and i wanted some opinions

5 Knights of Chaos
Full Command.
Ensorcselled weapons
Shields, Banner of Rage
Mark of Nurgle

Chaos Lord
Daemonic Steed, Mark of Nurgle
Chaos Runesword, Armour of Damnation
Shield, Diabolic Spendor.

Exalted Champion
Daemonic Steed, Army Standard,
Banner of the Gods,Shield. mark of Tzeentch

Thats the Unit and its totalled at 1060pts

let me know what you think.

Snoza

Killer
04-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Its cool.

I would drop the Knight's Champ... Its not worth all that points for just one attack! And if you run your knights alone, its give a way to enemy characters to get out of too much combat!

And besides, you have two heroes who fight much better than him! And with Chaos you won't be able to challenge with the unit champ while there is a character in there... so there is no real use for him...

And were back to that whole "All-your-eggs-in-one-basket" debate again... See, against Skaven you would just steamroll right through him... if you don't take too much casualties from the Warp Lightning and Jezzail/Rattling fire... And he'll just swamp you(if he makes all his leadership tests...

What I'm trying to say is, if you use this unit designed to take out a specific army, it will be devestating! But as a "Take-on-all-comers" list it won't always work...

So what are your intentions with this unit?

Nitram
04-05-2009, 04:50 PM
I'd avoid putting socerers on dragons. It's the classic example in WFB of trying to do two things and failing at both. Either stick with being a caster and staying outta combat or go all close combat. I like the MoT/Disk combo for socerers and take bloodcurdling scream (great for killing a few knights) so you can cause casualties in 2 phases.
If its magic your after i'd always take the sorcerer over a daemon prince too.(DP's just arent worth it)
i also never take champions in my knight units, total waste of points. Moreover the blasted standard on a BSB in a unit of knights with a MoT is a great way to take some hits from shooting, and you should still be able to take the Banner of Rage for the knights. I used this combo yesterday and murdered a 25 man block of Ork boys and a troll with only 1 casualty (from troll vomit! lame) in 1 round.

Snoza
05-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Killer, the unit was basically to take on everything (with the exception to Blood Knights,unless i get the charge).

The Unit, is also a test at the moment, cause its worth a fair few points so it is going back to the all you eggs in one basket, but i think it is worth it, to have a unit of Chaos Knights with Terror, Stubborn, Frenzy, and Mark of Nurgle, (-1 to hit, and -1to WS) and not to mention a Lord. so thats something i wanted to try.

But the one downside to this, is a really well place cannonball or something similar, there goes the unit.

And with the Sorcerer, i am planning on Getting another Dragon and putting one on Dragon, but also making it so that i can swap it for a Lord.

Snoza

Killer
05-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Fair enough! I realized that this is something that you wanted to try.

I'm not so worried about a cannon ball as I am that all your hitters are in one unit! So half of your army will only be able to take on 1 unit at a time- and they can be baited!

If you really do want to go down this route, I would suggest giving them the blasted standard... You don't want to lose halve of the unit before you get into combat!

Snoz, I'm not trying to talk you out of doing this... I don't even think that it is neccesarily a bad idea! This is just my prediction of what will happen, in my experience...

So definitly try this and let me know what happens!

PS- Do you agree on dropping the Knights' unit Champ?

Snoza
06-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Killer,

I know that this unit will only be able to take one 1 unit at a time (which wont be good, but can work in my favour sometimes), if i was to use this unit i would also have Marauder Horsemen to cover the rest of the Army points (ill post up an army list when i get a chance),

Also i do agree with dropping the unit Champ.

I will let you know how it works, when next time i get to have a game.

Snoza

Killer
06-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Excellent!

Good luck with that! I hope it works!

Good Hunting, friend!

jthdotcom
13-06-2009, 07:58 PM
I quite often play with an all cavalry Warriors list, and in my opinion, although the extra attack is good, it won't be a good idea to have a 1000+ points unit frenzied, if I was playing you with my chaos list, you'd be drawn out to charge some hounds, they'd flee, you're stuck in the middle with 10 knights in the front, and 10 marauder horse in each flank, on starting res, i'm beating you by 3 points, not taking into account wounds. bearing in mind my lord and BSB would be in with 8 more knights, you're likely to be running, and with three nits to chase with, 2 of which re-roll for the distance, you'd most likely be run down. I know not everyone you play will have even a similar list to mine, but similar things will happen whatever army you play against. I don't think its worth the risk for that many points, I know from experience LOL!