PDA

View Full Version : Dual action airbrush Practice exercise

ChrisSpaceWolves
22-04-2009, 05:18 AM
For anyone that is just starting out Airbrushing here is a simple control exercise that you can do to get used to the controls. When I was 16 I worked for a guy doing T-shirts and this was how He taught me.

Start with a thin line or a light application of paint, and work your line to a fat line in the middle of the shape and then end with a tapered line. ENd product should look very much like the last shape I drew on my pen tab.

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m339/ChrisMBianchi/AirbrushPractice.gif

darknight
22-04-2009, 09:20 AM
the other standard thing to do, is on a dual, you should have (on good ones) a rear finger screw to make it essentially a single action by not letting the needle retract too far, thus until you learn finger control you can set it to do fine lines etc

Captain Castus
22-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Cheers guys... Good advice!

I may well be editing my 'learning to aribrush' thread in to an article for a future issue of the Astro Mag... So any further tit-bits would be most welcome!

CC

darknight
22-04-2009, 09:36 AM
well, a classic technique not used much now always was the same as when i learnt to use a graphic tablet properly.
its hand eye co-ordination.
for airbrushing, put on a latex glove, put hand to paper and keep spraying a thin line around your open hand and fingers.
sounds silly but, it will and does help your mind work out the scaling and sizes. keep trying it about 5-6 times a day until you get a consistent line in about a week, you will find your airbrushing gets a lot better, also go for a compressor with pulse control, most have now, if not fit in an in line surpressor. it stops pulsing air at the needle.
i use iwata compressor and airbrushes that all have these on them.