PDA

View Full Version : Hero choices...decisions...

Icehaus.logan
21-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Hey yall, what do you think about these two hero options vs dwarves...

Exalted Hero:
Mark of Khorne
Aethersword
Shield
Bloodcurdling Roar
Juggernaut of Khorne

or

Exalted Hero:
Mark of Nurgle
Armor of Morslieb
Talisman of Protection
Shield
Bloodcurdling Roar
Juggernaut of Khorne

Killer
21-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Firstly, fighting vs dwarves, the MoN will work great, cause anything with weapon skill 4 and lower will only hit you on a 5+! That's pretty much more than half his army! Combined with the Armour of Damnation, this guy get very hard to kill! Just put him on a Daemonic mount and you have one tough cookie!

But then again, I love the juggernaut, and a Hero with MoK with the Axe of Khorne and shield on a Juggy has a 0+ AS! Makes and excellent Hero killer! Most dwarves won't be able to get around that save! Don't forget to give him the "Favour of the Gods!"
Give this guy the Runesword and shield, and he'll be an ok hero killer, but he'll do a lot more damage to rank and file models!...

... Tough choice! But that is more or less the route i'd go...

beergod
21-04-2009, 01:04 PM
on the first one I'd go with Axe of Khorne with fav of the gods. +1s and KB is too good to pass up

Icehaus.logan
21-04-2009, 03:41 PM
All of those sound like great options but i dunno, his armor saves are still there and thats his major advantage. If I could get around that i'd slaughter his troops. That axe of khorne is pretty cool, +1 S and killing blow? wow! it would definitely be easy to hit and wound but i just dont want to be counting on rolling 6's cuz it probably wont happen that often. And if it doesnt happen he still gets his armor save. Thanks for your opinions ya'll

Icehaus.logan
21-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Plus the Aethersword Ignores armor saves completely so it'd be almost like an automatic wound that you cant save. I think that might be too good to pass up.

Kodiak_Jones
21-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Well, there are differnet types of dwarfs. What kind of dwarves does you opponent play?

Are they lots of thunders with no armor saves or lots of Ironbreakers with awesome saves?

If you building a list to beat a specific army, let us know what type of army you will be facing and we can give you some better insight.

Icehaus.logan
23-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Ok here's what ive settled on...

Since he's dwarves he's probably going to be using a couple of bolt throwers and lots of artillery, he'll most likely target my general before he can get into close combat. So This is what i gave my hero:

Exalted Hero:
Mark of Khorne
Armor of Morslieb
Talisman of Prot.
Shield
Bloodcurdling Roar
Juggernaut of Khorne

So he's not going to be the greatest in close combat (if he ever makes it there) but he'll be seriously hard to kill. Armor of morslieb gives a 4+ ward save against all non magical attacks, stacked with a talisman of Protection thats a total of a 3+ ward save against anything physical. So he's a got 0+ armor save and a 3+ ward save.

I know he will target this guy with bolt throwers before he can get into close combat. I know he's got 2 of them with strength 7 and 8 which reduces my armor save -4 and -5 respectively so I cant count on my armor at all. So i thought by giving him a ward save it'll make him more effective at surviving until close combat.

What do ya'll think?

Your Conscience
23-04-2009, 09:45 AM
You cant stack ward saves and therefore you can only take one type of ward save for your character so take the best on that u want. Also i think it wouls be helpful to know which unit he is coming on and what they have got as well

Kodiak_Jones
23-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I know he will target this guy with bolt throwers before he can get into close combat. I know he's got 2 of them with strength 7 and 8 which reduces my armor save -4 and -5 respectively so I cant count on my armor at all.

Regardless of STR the Bolt Throwers ignore armor save completely. Just an FYI

But if you put him in a unit of Knights or Maurader Horsemen so he can soak up some hits and help him get to close combat.

Nitram
23-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Exalted Hero:
Mark of Nurgle
Armor of Morslieb
Talisman of Protection
Shield
Bloodcurdling Roar
Juggernaut of Khorne

You cant have a Mark of Nurgle guy on a Juggernaut, he has to have a Khorne Mark.

Killer
23-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Yep! that's the down side!

but unfortunatly wars saves don't stack- you may have as many ward saves as you like, but you can only ever use the best applicable one!

But I see you havn't tooled up your Lord as much as your can... I'd suggest you do! At least jsut give him the sword of might for more killyness, or give him a halberd and the crown of everlasting! That will give him some more staying power at least!...

Icehaus.logan
24-04-2009, 12:15 AM
He's not a lord, he's a hero. It's for my 1500 pt army I was telling you about.

Thanks for straightening that out ya'll, had no idea ward save didnt stack. Ill just give him an Aethersword and stick him in a unit of knights and hope he doesnt die. Thats the best I can think of anyway.

Killer
24-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Well, like I always say- the best way to sort these things out is to playtest them! What usually works for one player wouldn't neccesarily work for you!

So try that combo and see how it works and let us know!

Good hunting!

Killer
24-04-2009, 08:52 AM
He's not a lord, he's a hero. It's for my 1500 pt army I was telling you about.

Ah sorry mate- difficult to keep track if your looking at 3 or 4 simmilar threads. And in my defence I havent been quite feeling as crisp as usual. But don't worry- its only temporary...(hopefully!)

Anyway, my point still stands that its better to max out your Lord/Hero- even though its not applicable to this particular case! :p :D

Good luck with that! Let us know how it works for you!