PDA

View Full Version : Trying (and failing) at building the Monolith

Randy Johnson
21-04-2009, 12:06 AM
It's no wonder that I hate the assembly process of a very large percentage of the models, but now I'm just lost beyond redemption. I put the wall of the monolith on before I put the gun in, and now I can't get the gun in place at all.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/phil123321/NecronMonolith.jpg

I feel really inept. I always make stupid mistakes like these.

Not sure what to do with this now, I've tried shoving the gun in, but I figured that wouldn't work. I could try tearing the wall down, but I have no idea what it would take to do that... Yeah, looks like I'm in a pickle.

Skringly
21-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Cut thr ball socket down a little so it fits in. You would most likely have to glue it in place but its better than no gun. Thats what I would do, rather than risk ripping the thing apart.

Hephesto
21-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Not quite sure, but you should be ok if you pull the walls apart carefully. There's no way you'll get that ball into the socket any other way.

Randy Johnson
21-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Pulling the walls apart is what I was thinking of, the only problem is... How do I actually do that? I mean this is some pretty damn powerful glue (I'm using super glue, not plastic glue, in case anyone needs clarification).

The Commodore
21-04-2009, 12:28 AM
With your hobby knife, very gently cut down the seam of the join. Keep doing that until you can prise it open enough to get the ball in. If you are careful and gentle, this method should have no lasting effects on the complete build.

Hope that helps, and let us know how you got on.

Hephesto
21-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Well usually you should be able to pry them apart is there won't be super glue everywhere. Just try it out gently, if it budges keep going. If not, stop, drop....no wait, you'll be stuck with having to cut up the weaponball of you can at least attach half of it to the socket. Best of luck mate!

Carrelio
21-04-2009, 01:19 AM
Use science! I just wanted to say that... but yah... brute force... a little ignorance... all damage can be repaired with a little green stuff and some glue.

Randy Johnson
21-04-2009, 02:46 AM
I've managed to the guns in by slowly prying one half of the wall off at a time, so as to not remove the entire wall from the structure.

I have now encountered an even more difficult problem: gluing it back together properly. The wall isn't sticking back together... Oh well, I've had this problem so many times before. All it takes is a lot of time... and I can always pretend that I have nothing better to do.

Captain Castus
21-04-2009, 08:19 AM
LOL...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/davidcutter/Other%20Stuff/NecronMonolithFAIL.jpg

Sorry... Couldn't resist! :D

We all do things like this occasionally... I get really angry!!

Looks like you have it kinda sorted though...

I known you can get superglue solvent to 'unglue' things (For future reference)... I don't know what effect it would have on plastic though... Might melt it...

CC

Randy Johnson
21-04-2009, 12:16 PM
I hope I don't see that picture all over the internet in the near future... :o

The Commodore
21-04-2009, 01:13 PM
I think it might find its way into the "Funny 40K thread, but other than that you should be safe.:D

ChrisSpaceWolves
21-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Wow CC that was Brutal in the most eloquent way that an Astartes could be! I like it however.

You'll eventually get the glue to stick again. I'd try some accelerant to make the process speed up a bit.

mr me
25-04-2009, 08:21 PM
THE SOLUTION IS OBVIOS TERN IT ORK

Skringly
26-04-2009, 01:13 AM
I think it might find its way into the "Funny 40K thread, but other than that you should be safe.:D

Yes...safe...:cool:

Carrelio
26-04-2009, 02:15 AM
Wait... so it did make it into the funnny 40k pics right?

grimdisco
26-04-2009, 04:04 AM
Wait... so it did make it into the funnny 40k pics right?

I dont know about that.

But solvent will work as long as you dont use to much. But clean the joint where the glue was down to the plastic. If you dont you may have trouble getting the glue to stick.

Randy Johnson
27-04-2009, 01:55 AM
In case anyone's wondering, I fixed everything up and finished assembling a long time ago. Haven't gotten around to doing any work on it yet, probably won't for a while (I don't anticipate I'll be needing to anyway, which is good, cause I don't have all that much patience to devote to it :o)