PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys do it?

ChrisSpaceWolves
14-04-2009, 05:46 PM
I was just getting ready to paint my Be'lakor model, and got to thinking, wow I actually have a process for painting my Miniatures.

First I assemble, make sure my mold lines are gone... yadda yadda yadda....

Second I prime, usually I put 3-4 light coats on so as not to pool any in my models fine details.

Third, I sit and stare at the model.... sometimes for 20-30 minutes and let the model tell me what colors it wants to be. I wander over to the GW site and see how they did their paint, but ultimatly I paint what the model tells me to paint.

Does anyone else have a process like this where they let the models talk to them, or am I just wierd?

Hephesto
14-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Not that weird at all, inspiration can come from a million different places! And at times a mini does indeed speak to you. I usually have that kind of stuff during assembly and converting, things just seem to drop in place every now and then ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
14-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Pretty much your process chris.

I ususally know what general colour I want, but it's usually new for every squad/monster/vehicle but remains simillar.

Dante
14-04-2009, 07:59 PM
i get and ideer then paint some of it, then get a new ideer and start painting that... and so on... aka my models do not look that good :)

grimdisco
15-04-2009, 01:20 AM
\As for me. Hephesto is really close to my possess.

Carrelio
15-04-2009, 01:47 AM
It depends, basic troops, I just love seeing assembled, so I rush through assembling them and then stop and say, "damn! Now how am I going to paint this?!"
For important models though, I prime, paint, then assemble! so there is never a speck out of place!
Along those lines... I was reading the Tau codex last night... specifically looking at the broadside... and it's not very well painted! The 'armpits' are hardly painted at all, it's all covered in brush strokes with the primer showing through... I would have expected more from the guys at games workshop!

Eodred
15-04-2009, 03:05 AM
Usually I have a colour scheme in mind before I start assembly; usually influenced by GW minis, more recently I've taken inspiration from online, places like CMON and here and fluff. I usually stick nigh on religiously to the fluff.

I usually clean the parts separately, then assemble, then re-clean any bits I've missed or thought I'd got. Basecoat, with a spray if I've got one, by hand if I haven't, black. First layer of flat colour for all of it. Grumble when I find a mould line I've missed. Clean that, redo that area. Apply first highlight. Apply wash. Apply second highlight. Grumble when I find another mould line, usually clean it and redo that bit. Third highlight. Decide whether or not it needs a wash or highlight or neither. Final highlight. Decide I'm happy with a mini, look it over and swear when I find another mould line.

That's usually how it goes.

Cheers
E

LAZtheinfamous
15-04-2009, 03:48 AM
Clean model, throw in bits box.

Remember that I need model X, remove from bits box.

Assemble.

Assemble the rest of the squad.

Prime the whole army. Yes, I mean that. I rarely prime unless I am priming at least 10 models. That's cause it is a waste of paint to prime less.

Then I assembly line paint the squad. Left arm, left arm, left arm, left arm, left arm, left arm, left arm, left arm, left arm. Right arm, right arm, right arm, right arm, right arm, right arm, right arm, right arm, right arm...etc.

Once the whole squad is complete, I'll go over each model and pic out the little details that are unique to each model.

Characters and such are another story entirely...

Orkgasm
15-04-2009, 06:57 AM
I have two processes, my Orks (which is as as unpredictable as they..), and my 'Crons (rather sterile in comparison..)

Orks....
-Build and clean model(s)...primer...mostly...
-Become possessed with a great idea, and begin work on a particular mini...
-Buy more kit, and in the throughs being exited about it, begin building and cleaning the new stuff...
-Look back at the original mini I started, have a new idea, and repaint certain parts...sometimes adding bits...
-"Oooo...I picked up some plasticard!"...and have an idea, now working on something else...
-Bits arrive for some other planned project, and excitedly begin work on that...
-Realize that I need to finish the mini that I originally started, however, these new bits would do so much better for it...
-Looks better...but I've done the "tiger print" before...I'm going to see if I can do "leopard print"....
-I could do better on that base...
-Ahhh...you know what would be cool?...begins work on some other conversion...
-Looks back...that fella needs a skull on his base....
-Hey, this Tau head would be awesome on the banner pole of that guy...

It never ends!

Necrons...
-Build and clean model(s)...
-Primer
-Establish how I'm going to vary my scheme (based on the Xbox 360, I still think it funny), for each unit...by painting one of each...
-Get new kit, leave it in the packaging, until I get to the unit (one of each already assembled, ready for the scheme variant..)..
-Repeat scheme on the rest of each unit, mixing up the basing, sometimes adding crystals...
-On to the next mini...

Characters are a bit more of an enhanced version of the two...

Randy Johnson
15-04-2009, 08:48 PM
At the beginning of my Necron army, it took me a few days to figure out what on Earth I was going to do...

The first day was completely taken up by assembly.

The second day involved me staring at the Warrior model and going between that and the book at a friend's house for over an hour. After a really long while, my friends got really pissed off at me having wasted so much time, so I just completely began to paint on impulse. I then quickly began to form an image in my head of how my army might look, and after trying it on the first model, I decided to stick with that.

All in all, I am WAY too indecisive for this hobby... So yeah, I can totally relate to your process. :|

troy_tempest
16-04-2009, 04:52 PM
I usually do alot of painting before assembly. I used to get really annoyed in the old days with assembled space marines being hard to paint especially crests and bolters/hands. Colour scheme for new Tau army, 10 years later: I was obsessing over the Christmas holidays, with diagrams in powerpoint etc. Settled on a colour which GW don't have so I mixed Gaunt purple and one of the more sober reds. Its weird because my army looks pretty much exactly as I planned... well apart from the kroot who I can't find the motivation to paint. Blast their awkwarness! But they are fine models I must admit.

For me the main thing is patience, and also lots and lots of time....