PDA

View Full Version : Necron metal models

Randy Johnson
12-04-2009, 11:13 PM
This is the one part about Warhammer that I detest so passionately. My first two Necron Immortals took me about 2 and a half hours to get the arms in - a mere 4 arms - and these next two are giving me just as much trouble.

It seems that all of the metal models for Necrons are flawed in so many ways. I had to make significant changes to my Necron Lord in order to get everything to go together properly, but in the end it finally worked out. Is the problem just cause they're so old and out of date?

Below, is the Necron Immortal model that I am currently working with. The arms are impossible to get in! >_<

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/phil123321/NecronArms.jpg

Orkgasm
13-04-2009, 12:30 AM
I concur, Phil...
I just finished my first Immortal today...in the assembly process I was so "gun ho", I paid no heed to the fact there were other bits in the blister...I just put him together. And a pain it was...
Metal minis are always a bit of a challenge...I use an accelerator for the glue (which helps out quite a bit), the down side being that you have little time to adjust for any errors, and there is commonly a crystalline build up of the glue. Over all, I find an accelerant helps a lot with the metal minis (you're not going to have to hold a joint for fifteen minutes to get it to set..)...you just have to be sure to get it right the first time...
And I agree...the bits aren't aligned properly...I'm not really looking forward to the next one...:mad:

However, I am used to futzing with Orks...so it's not too bad... ;)

Randy Johnson
13-04-2009, 01:42 AM
How much does this accelerator cost?

I would personally rather have the risk of making a mistake in it setting, than it NEVER setting at all. Seriously, this super glue is so weak for some reason.

Too bad Necrons aren't getting an update in a while, they really need to fix the models. I need 1 more Immortal to finish my first squad, after which I'm probably going to work on something else for a loooong while...

Carrelio
13-04-2009, 01:47 AM
Try using your glue on a couple other models first, if it seems to be working less potently than usual, than perhaps yours has gone the same way as mine did, where the bit that makes it go hard when exposed to air has sepperated from the glue part (your basic catalyst theory from science class I'd assume...). Maybe it's time for new glue?

Randy Johnson
13-04-2009, 01:51 AM
Funny thing about that is that I bought a brand new thing of glue yesterday along with these 2 immortals. Was having the same problem with my friend's glue that I was using (which had been opened a few days back and used quite a bit already).

On a side note, I finished science class as soon as it stopped being compulsory, and I don't really remember anything from it. Really don't enjoy any of that stuff.

Orkgasm
13-04-2009, 01:56 AM
How much does this accelerator cost?

What I use (http://www.gf9.com/store/index.php?cPath=62)...$6.99US, but the stuff works like a charm...especially with their glue.....;)
As well, they have a great assortment of hobby supplies...

Randy Johnson
13-04-2009, 02:06 AM
Hmm... is this stuff exclusively available online? I don't really have anything to use to pay with online at the moment (yeah, it's a real detriment, but oh well, not much I can do about it)... I totally thought you were talking about something made by GW or Citadel.

Anyway, after giving up once and trying again, I've managed to get 1 gun arm in so far... I think... hope... Been holding it in my hand (and only typing with the other) for quite some time now! (EDIT: It's in!)

Orkgasm
13-04-2009, 02:22 AM
No, it's not exclusively available online...I pick it up at my local store, I was just providing a linky to the company...

Randy Johnson
13-04-2009, 02:27 AM
Ah, ok, my bad.

Well, anyway. I seem to be having a slightly better time now. Gave the glue a nice powerful shake, seems to be working a bit more efficiently now.

Deathboon
13-04-2009, 03:12 AM
wow, that is excessivly expensive. Go to a hobby shop that sells model cars and trains i used to get accelorator that came with an eyedropper style applicator for under $2.00, and crazy glue for under 3. They work exceptionally well together. Alternatively you can just lick the model on one side, and glue the other, then put them together. Saliva works as a catalyst aswell, just not as quickly.

Orkgasm
13-04-2009, 04:18 AM
Agreed, Death...just offering up an option...
Back when....I used to shave off wee bits of skin, place it in the bond, and use that as a catalyst...though, that wasn't a technique I was going to encourage....:D

Deathboon
13-04-2009, 05:37 AM
Outch, Reminds me of the time i was painting Blood letters and got a nose bleed all over the models. Oddly that has happened every time i paint anything Khorne related (and i'm not normally prone to them). Consequently i Avoid Khorne stuff these days.

Drackonis
13-04-2009, 03:39 PM
You can also use a bit of Green Stuff to stick the parts together, this has the added bonus of filling in gaps as well!

It has been a while since I put a metal model togther, but I'm pretty sure it works fine.

ChrisSpaceWolves
14-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Here is the stuff I use. People sell it as their own all over the country. I use it on ALL my models. I have found that the GW super glue doesn't get that Crystalline buildup that has been talked about.

Insta set (http://www.google.com/products?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=Insta+set+Ca+accelerator&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=LrzkSYSwDZPpnQeq64m0CQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title)

Shagon Drark
24-04-2009, 12:07 AM
some of the best acceleraant out ther is called zip kicker. its about 5.50

Shagon Drark
24-04-2009, 12:09 AM
i hate immortals......

therefore i shall kill you and take your power. lol