PDA

View Full Version : Angmar, Lord of the Rings

Carrelio
11-04-2009, 03:59 AM
In preparation for the Tale of 8 Lord of the Rings Gamers, I am in search of information on what would make up the composition of an army of Angmar, I'm having some trouble in seeing (from a fluff perspective) how... almost any of the suggested models that games workshops provides would fit into the Angmar force.

So, how exactly is this a question? I'm sure some of you must be asking this... as even I would be a little confused. I would like to know if...
1) anyone knows of a good place (besides wikipedia) to learn a bit about Angmar's fluffy history?
2) if anyone knows what the Angmar army would have actually looked like (was it mainly men... cause that's how the fluff would have it depicted... in which case... I can't even make that army using the games workshop suggested porducts)?

The next few questions are less directed specifically at Angmar and more about Lord of the Rings in general...
3) is it alright to have a mixed force from a bunch of different armies (say, Mordor and Angmar) as long as the fluff of bad guys vs good guys still holds true?
4) (I saw a battle report the other day, where an army was lead by a 'monster') does this mean that some of the rarer monsters can cross over to become army generals, or was this just a fun and fluffy thing to do?

Thanks for the help, more questions possibly to come.

japehlio
11-04-2009, 04:37 AM
well, for #3: you can spend up to 25% of your armies total point value on allies from other lists of the same good/evil orientation, ie in a 2000pt angmar force, you can spend 500 points and take the (very VERY nasty) ringwraith formation from the mordor list.

#4: your army general can be one of two things; an epic hero (gandalf/nazgul/etc) or it can be a lesser hero, often with a bodyguard or a single monster, called a "legendary Formation" . ringwraith on fell beast, Bardur, shagrat + lads, sharku's hunters are all legendary formations and can be your leader...

hope that helps!

Carrelio
11-04-2009, 04:39 AM
Very usefull thanks :)

Hephesto
11-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Info on Angmar from GW is kind of mixed, with everything from ghosts, specter, Ghulvahar to indeed evil men in the ranks. Although if memory serves right they weren't actually from Angmar, but from the fallen kingdom of Carn Dum. They were in fact in WD 305, at before GW went insane in the LotR section of the website (same goes for those cool Harad tribes and regions of Mordor).

Tolkien wiki (http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Angmar) should help quite a bit as well!

Carrelio
11-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Hmmm... Games Workshop seems to have really warped this Angmar army list... alot... I don't even see where the army of the dead fits into any of that. Looks to me like the only really fitting choice they put in were the orcs, who actually do live there. Maybe I'll get some orcs... and convert them to have fur cloaks...

But it really appears as though Angmar doesn't actually have a place in Lord of the Rings as Games Workshop has created it up till now. The are really just a blend of everything that the game has, without any heroes to lead them.

Hephesto
11-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Angmar was quite important, it destroyed the kingdom of Arnor and with it almost the lineage of kings.

Carrelio
11-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Alright, I'm almost at my descision. It is clear I will need orcs. Now it's just a matter of figuring out who should lead them... I really like Gulavhar, but I don't know how well he'd fit into an army of orcs... I think that job would be better suited to a troll or an armoured knight sort of thing (Witch King?)...
At the same time, I really like Gulavhar, but he really feels like the sort of creature you'd see leading an army of the damned full of spectres and ghostys and the like...
So hard to decide!
Maybe I'll just keep it simple, start off with a couple boxes of orcs and see where I go from there.

Hephesto
11-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Angmar does indeed have a bit of a shortage of heroes from its own list! Don't forget you can use the Witch-King, the Tainted and the Dwimmerlairk as if they were part of the Angmar armylist. The manin weakness for a pure Angmar force (from my perspective anyway) is its lack of ranged fire (only Orc bowmen) and some difficult to use units like the Shade.

As such an alliance with Mordor would be very suitable. There are quite a few nice units that would fit with the army and enchance its fighting abilities. Stuff like a Siege Bow, some Castellans and equally important the more hardy Morannon Orcs!

It should be a blast to make your ghost legion, just combining the new Army of the Dead plastic kit with mordor weapons and spare orc/goblin heads should produce a stunning and evil enough looking force! Same goes for cavalry, two random boxes of northern riders (wargs, rohan, gondor) combined with more spare stuff will make for some very cool cavalry. In addition you may just want to take the 'easy' route and take some inspiration from the old WD Angmar list and use spectral Wargs for Ghostly Riders.