PDA

View Full Version : Who'd of Guess It ? - Modelling glitches

Psykic_Scribe
10-04-2009, 04:59 PM
I am learning to expect the unexpected - the painful way ! I always trial fit the parts I am carving up and converting and always (being a good boy) trial fit before putting adhesive in - but ...

I have "just" (over several weeks) finished painting up some "standard" Berzerkers with all that gold trim (I hate gold - it never goes on evenly) with backpacks all pretty when - the standard backpacks don't fit the berzerker body!

It didn't take too much adjustment to get the fit - but I had spent ages painting those backpacks before I took a file to them !

I love the detail on the GW models and the new plastics are really neat. That's probably why I expected the parts on these older plastics to fit.

Anyone else got some fun examples to look out for ?

LAZtheinfamous
10-04-2009, 05:03 PM
The current metal and plastic hellhound. To get all the parts to fit, it took mad amounts of filing, and GS. Horribily model. Not going to get another unless plastic comes out.

grimdisco
11-04-2009, 05:52 AM
The Forge World Valerye It had so much flash I had to saw off a piece that was 3inches by 4onches by inch off the body of the mini before I could assemble it.

Starky
11-04-2009, 09:06 AM
I agree with LAZ, the hellhound is horrible to put together, it took me a weekend to get mine done.
Another model i have had trouble with is the SM dreadnought from forge world, so many bits of resin that just weren't needed.

Starky

Deathboon
02-05-2009, 07:23 PM
I avoid Forge World resin casts because they have zero quality control.

Arkaedin
03-05-2009, 03:48 AM
I avoid Forge World resin casts because they have zero quality control.

Well that's not why, it's because Resin casts are incredibly hard to perfect. If you've ever worked with it you'd know what I mean. Even with machines you will always have the inevitable air bubbles. If the resin is poured too slowly it will start to cure mid-pour resulting in a botched cast, if it's poured too quickly there will be so many air bubbles your mind will quite literally explode. However, even if you find the right balance it all depends on the temperature and humidty of the room plus how well the resin is mixed together. Also, you will get lots of air bubbles if the resin is mixed too slowly or too quickly and if the resin and the catalyst are not poured correctly.

If there was ever a way to permanantly get rid of resin cast imperfections, I'd say Armageddon was near :p