PDA

View Full Version : 1001 Vampire Counts

Belladonna
06-04-2009, 02:45 AM
Okay... so this is the first army list I ever made, and it massacred my friends goblin army.

Core

Skeleton Warriors (25)
Champion, Standard Bearer, Musician
Spears, Banner of the Dead Leigon
268 pts

Zombie Horde (30)
120 pts

Dire Wolves (5)
Doom Wolf
50 pts

Special

Grave Gaurd (15)
Champion, Standard Bearer
Royal Standard of Strigos
203 pts

Heroes

Vampire
Level 2 Wizard
Dark Acolyte, Helm of Commandment
160 pts

Vampire
Level 1 Wizard, General
Tomb Blade, Flayed Hauberk, Infinite Hatred, Supernatural Horror
200 pts

Total: 1001 Points

So what do you think, also how do you think it would do against Ogres?

~Belladonna

Killer
06-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Well, I'm not a VC player, but I do play against them alot!

I think it's a good list! But I also think that vs Ogres you're gonna need a fast and heavy hitter! Like black knights with a vampire with the Lifedrinker (Ithink its called, the sword that gives you wounds back when you cuase wounds with it) and lances! Or a few wraiths with a banshee and great weapons might also work very well!

Its a lot of pts, I know, but vs Ogres I think one of these units will fare much better that the grave guard! So you'd might want to considder replacing them with one of the above mentioned units!

And further, if you cut of his magic, you'll find it much easier! They're a little bit like VC in that account- they rely heavily on their magic!

And also they rely on getting the charge for the impact hits! So Vanhels wil skrew him completely!

But anyway there you have my 2cents. Hope it helped!

Happy hunting!

Belladonna
06-04-2009, 03:35 PM
i think I might have gone with knights or something like that, except, I only just recently started playing and don't really have the models to do that, I wish though. However, I'm getting used to the 1000 pts matches before moving on, because I know I could easily turn this into a 1500 pts list. Especially it I add the Varghulf.

Killer
06-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Vargulf is indeed a good add! Very usefull!

But I would definitly start my expantion with either some nights or Wraiths with a banshee!

I say go for the Knights first! You get more bang for your buck! Especially if you buy Empire knights and convert them! They look great if you just replace the heads and shields with the Graveguard bits!

Belladonna
06-04-2009, 05:58 PM
That would work, I recently bought another vampire and two necromancersn (one mounted the other on foot), I also have 2 corpse carts and a black coach. But I have serious issues with horses at the moment. Also I have more grave gaurd on the way, because technically I only have 10 of them (yay for skeleton substitutes)

Killer
06-04-2009, 06:45 PM
The corpscarts with the loadstone quite are usefull, but IMO the Black coach isn't worth it's points.

Yep, Hooray for more graveguard!

What's the issue with the horsies?

Belladonna
06-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Well for one, I don't have any, and the one that came with the mounted necromancer was a horse, but it was draped, you know like you couldn't see legs on it just skirt-y bits. and that sort of ticked me off....

I want my vampire count horses to be BONEY

Killer
06-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Hmmm... I see! That is a bit of a conundrum!

Suppose you'll have to buy real black knights in that case... As far as I know they're quite bony, no bits...

japehlio
06-04-2009, 09:25 PM
one option is to buy both the empire knight box, and the tomb king knight box and combine the two, making sure you avoid any TK iconography.

@ Killer, black coach is excellent against armies that dont have cannons. in every game i've played, i only lost it once (to a jammy empire great cannon shot that missed the varghulf and hit the coach.

one tactic i find that works well (in 2000 pt games) is this:
deploy the varghulf, knights and black coach on the one flank, that way you have 3 INDIVIDUAL hard hitting units, and (realistically) your opponent cant stop them all!

only exception to this (not mentioned in your list) are blood knights. DO NOT put them on a flank. Put em slap in the middle of your battleline, screened by dogs (maybe) and pick the biggest/nastiest/smelliest/opponents-favourite unit and say "im having them..." BK are not flankers...

and i agree with you, necromancers look poo. (and are, but anyway) A nice simple way to get/make better looking ones is to use the empire wizard box (comes with bits to make 2 on foot) that you can convert and add dead bits to easily!

Linky (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod20018&rootCatGameStyle=)

hope that helps, cant wait to see what you put out there!

oh TY for te dragon rep btw

Killer
06-04-2009, 10:04 PM
@ Killer, black coach is excellent against armies that dont have cannons. in every game i've played, i only lost it once (to a jammy empire great cannon shot that missed the varghulf and hit the coach.

Like I said I'm no expert on the VC's, but I've seen my friend's BC crumble becuase of combat resolution a few times. To tell the truth, the thing scares the hell outa me, but I just thouhgt that in a 1000pt army you can do better with the pts. Something that can take on some static CR...

But anyway @ Belladonna: Like I said, that's just my two cents- Japelio is the real expert on this field!

@ Japelio: I bow to your supperiority in this matter, my friend! ;)

japehlio
06-04-2009, 10:55 PM
i wouldnt call it superiority mate! (blushes) but in my best/deepest/evil and centuries-old voice--- Mwuhahaha

well actually yes and no, the Black coach IS expensive, especially in smaller games, but see when it has absorbed a few dice, (remember it affects ANY wizard within 6", and the dice in your opponents power pool too...) it can be invaluable.

Eg:

position the black coach for a front charge, and charge.
Outcome A: raise a unit of Zombies (you will get at least 5 anyway) in the targets flank, vanhels the zombies into combat on the flank.(for this purpose, ALWAYS take the book of Arkhan) This will break the rank bonus of the enemy unit (vital to tip CR in your favour). the ensuing impact hits, attacks etc should be more than enough to win the combat, and since you cause terror, they auto-flee, and your 3d6 persuit should chase em down.
Now, outcome B:If the enemy unit flee's, raise a unit of zombies BEHIND them. here, you can either 1: Vanhels them into combat with the fleeing unit, automatically destroying the unit (you are at least unit strength 5) or 2: wait. if the enemy unit continues to flee, they run into your zombies, and are cut down. if they rally, next turn charge em in both the front and rear and enjoy!

Killer
06-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I now about the BC's charging abilities, believe me! I read thet bit over and over in dispair to think of what I can do against that thing! See- one of the Chaos' big draw backs is the lack of static CR and vs ethereal units, well, you know!...

But that what you said is truely genius... EVIL, but genius! I thought that the flaw in that tactic was that it is so easy to dispell... untill i remembered that it is spamable!

So that is why I'll step back and let you have this'un, mate!

japehlio
06-04-2009, 11:39 PM
mark of slaneesh can work well, and like all chariots it isnt half as tough if charged (even by, say marauder horsemen).

another thing about my tactic there is that the spells dont have a huge range, so a vamp is vital for the close support and casting of said spells...

Carrelio
07-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Going back to the comment about the knights on page one, they are very useful, but they are the most expensive models in all of games workshop (money wise, not so much points) so, what you'd be best doing is buying some chaos knights and doing a bit of converting. Much more cost effective, and the new chaos knights are really nice models to begin with.

SquallEvoker
07-04-2009, 03:02 AM
Black Coach = Chariot. Characters can be mounted on chariots. I see no issue with a caster being withing raise dead range.

japehlio
07-04-2009, 04:55 AM
sorry but nope, character can be mounted on chariot if ALLOWED to, which vampires are not allowed to do. The only thing like that with VC is a necromancer on corpse cart, which is specified in te unit entry.
Fluff wise, a black coach contains the body of a very weak vampire, as (s)he recovers their strength by absorbing magical energy, their vehicle gets stronger. But they wouldnt permit a thrall to drive it, as it would leave them exposed in their weakened state...

Killer
07-04-2009, 05:12 AM
Yep, Japelio is right! You better listen to him on this matter!...

... (Don't worry, he got me too)!... ;) :D

Belladonna
07-04-2009, 11:20 AM
So where would it say if you could mount a character on a chariot, because I thought it would be a good idea to put one there.

Killer
07-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Well it is stated in the character's profile, there in the armylist where it says what equipment and magical items they may take...

japehlio
07-04-2009, 02:42 PM
example being the necromancers entry, where it states that he may take a corpse cart as a mount (though it isnt REALLY a chariot, but still...)

SquallEvoker
07-04-2009, 07:43 PM
I realized that thought after posting, and was late for class almost, so I had no time to edit. Blargh.