PDA

View Full Version : Trolls and More Trolls

Wraithlord
06-04-2009, 01:39 AM
Recently, I won a contest at my local GW, and I got a great big bag 'o bitz. I mean really big. One of the big components was enough assorted parts to convert/build a whole bunch of Mordor Trolls. So, my question is: is this list viable (This is a SGB list, not WotR):

Heroes:
Mordor Troll Chieftian 140pts

Shelob 90pts.

Warriors:

Mordor Troll 100pts

Mordor Troll 100pts

Mordor Troll 100pts

Mordor Troll 100pts

Mordor Troll 100pts

Total: 1010

So, would I be able to effectively play this list?

Carrelio
06-04-2009, 01:46 AM
Sounds like the Troll list for warhammer's chaos mortals. Completely usable in warhammer... I don't know anything about lord of the rings though.

Red Corsairs
06-04-2009, 06:38 AM
There's absolutely nothing that states that you aren't allowed to do that. I've considered it myself before aswell actually as I've always imagined it being a formidable force, you'll just have to get used to it before you can play it right each time. Thoug you'll need your opponents permission for the 10 points over 1000 in a 1000 point game :)

Wraithlord
06-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Yeah, the people I play probably wont stop me from the ten points over, but I literally have to be 10 over or 30 under. I'm not wondering whether this is a legal list, I'm wondering would it have a chance to win.

Hephesto
06-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Very scary list, without good fighting heroes most opponents will struggle greatly against this force. There's just so many of them and 3 chieftain have a lott of might and stuff to throw around. You also have a decent ranged force (throwing rocks, dead gondorians and the odd annoying mordor orc) as well as a fast moving gribbly in the form of Shelob. Be careful with her though, she's a tad unpredictable. Don't have the Legions of Middle Earth lists handy, but can't this force ally with Dol Goldur? If so you could always take a spider queen instead of her.

Wraithlord
06-04-2009, 10:56 PM
I can throw soldiers? Where is that in the rules? Also, I don't have the Arnor/Dol Guldur book. I have the bite-sized rulebook that came in the moria box.

Hephesto
07-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Sorry, I was just been a bit creative with the throwing of rocks. Throwing dead Gondorians just fitting with Mordor trolls....in my head anyway ;)

Also judging from your list it would fit in perfectly with the Black Gate themed list from the Legions of Midle Earth book. Which also sadly mean you can't ally with Dol Guldur, which also means the Spider Queens are of limit. Which is a shame as for 75 point you get a very decent fighting creature which can produce several swarms of little spiders.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
07-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Watch out for concentrated ranged fire. That's how I always nail trolls.

Wraithlord
07-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Watch out for concentrated ranged fire. That's how I always nail trolls.

Under the new rules, nobody has THAT much ranged fire. (By new rules I mean the legions book)

BTW, does anyone with legions know if this list is compliant?

Hephesto
08-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Looks like it is. The Trolls and Captains would be drawn from the Black Gate list, with Shelob as an ally from the Cirith Ungol list. Which works perfectly as each allied contingent needs at the very least a hero to lead it and Shelob is classified as an evil hero. Note though that only the chieftains may be your leaders, Shelob is not the boss type it would seem (Legions book even states that you can have an entire army with just troll :D).

You have 0 ranged weapons (throwing stuff doesn't count) and 3+ minis, so looks like you're set!

Wraithlord
08-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Alrighty, thanks Heph!