PDA

View Full Version : DIY Raptors

Fedicus
04-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Now with GW allowing the mail order of miscellaneous components it is now again possible to get the parts to make cut-price Raptor Chaos Marines.

If like me your Chaos Chapter is not an original Heresy Chapter it wont have bespoke 10,000 year old Raptor suits for new recruits.

To represent that for my chapter I converted Khorne Berzerkers as they already come wth weaponry and in action poses . I removed the Khorne emblems and remodelling their helmets with the removal of the fins, then stuck a standard marine jump pack on. Having parts from possessed marines I gave wings to one so he could either be a Lord or an Aspiring Champion.

That was 12 Raptors in plastic for approx. the same cost as 5 bespoke metal ones.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
04-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Anychance we can see the models mate?

TheGreatGreyMoose
04-04-2009, 02:13 PM
yeah i'd like to see them too!!! BRING ON THE PICCIES!!!!!!

Fedicus
08-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Well here are my very-very Work In Progress (hence the different colours of primers): Berserkers to Raptors.

http://www.astronomican.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=1914

To keep in with the renegade theme of the Chaos Chapter their Power Armour is modelled in various stages of customisation with mixtures of Chaos and Imperial; helmets, breastplates and pauldrons.

The Banished Ranger
08-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Nice! I was thinking of mixing and matching the imperial and chaos bits. And the way you pulled it off seems to work just fine! I don't know how good your GS skills are but try and add a leering face here or there to add more grim detail, Good job though. REP

TheGreatGreyMoose
08-04-2009, 01:32 PM
good stuff so far.... i await the finished article (and maybe a few close ups?)

Fedicus
09-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Well itís been 6 months and Iíve finally managed to pull my finger as well as my brushes out, as can be seen they are a simple colour scheme; basic black and white highlighted with a blue-grey, all metallics are boltgun metal washed with black ink.

http://www.astronomican.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=2894

Unfortunately some of the subtleties of the colour scheme are lost due to the lighting and in the resize, particularly in the Lords wings and helmets hence the inset heads.

Itís in the nature of this chapter The Reapers to have the minimum of armour decoration to emphasise the starkness of their appearance and their malevolence.

Run away the boogiemen are coming.

LAZtheinfamous
09-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Nice.

Honsou
09-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Nice indeed, would be good to see a few more close detail pics so as to better judge them.

Inquisitor Alex
09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Sharp stuff ! I like your "Reapers" concept (Is Skeletor their Primarch :) ? )
I second the motion for closer pics - looks like your flash got you a bit of glare on the white and burned out the detail. Try using a sheet of paper behind your models to "bounce" light, and the glare will go away.
Incoming REP for you when I get to see those skull helms up close :)

RagingEwok
11-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Haha good work! I'll have to send this to Agnos as he has a few old Assault Marines lying around and was looking to make them look more chaosy