PDA

View Full Version : 1500 pt. Warriors of Chaos Army

Icehaus.logan
04-04-2009, 04:49 AM
Hey whats up ya'll? This is my first army list ever so all advice will be appreciated. My opponent is playing a dwarf army FYI so with that in mind here's the list.

Warriors of Choas - 1498 pts

12 Chaos Warriors

Full command
Great Weapons
Mark of Nurgle
Banner of Rage

Total: 299 pts

12 Chaos Warriors

Full command
Great weapons
Mark of Nurgle
Banner of Rage

Special Units:

10 chosen

Full Command
Great Weapon
Mark Of Nurgle
Sword of might
Banner of Rage

Total: 335 pts

10 Chaos Knights

Mark Of Nurgle
Lances
Full Command
Banner of rage

Total: 565 pts

Killer
04-04-2009, 10:11 AM
OK, well first off, welcome to our Astro home, Icehaus.... The best warhammer forums EVER! Stay long and post often!

*Hurmph*... Yes, anyway, there is a few problems with the army, but nothing that can't be fixed...

Firstly- each and every army MUST always have at least one character to act as the army's general! Now there are a few
things that make a general special, so I'd advise you to just quikly scope it out in the Warhammer Rulebook!

Now I take it you wanted to spare the points on characters to sqeeze in more troops, which is a good idea in a Chaos army,
so which character are you going to play as the general? Well, if you're not going to play tournaments, but almost always
against your friends dwarves, then I'd suggest to field a Lord. Now now, I know he is expensive, but, have you ever tried
to kill one of those things?! They're damn scary and very hard to kill! (and they look uber cool!:D)

Well, the warriors are cool, 'cept I think it's more economical to upgrade them with Halberds and shields! That way you have an 3+ armour save vs Shooting (which is what you're gonna need), and you have strength 5 in Melee and you won't strike last (Great Weapons always strike last, except in the round that YOU have charged!) in the consecutive rounds (which will always be there against Dwarfs!)

Now, the Chosen... I really don't think think that they are worth their point cost! Normal Nurgle warriors ACTUALLY fight better than them! Yeah I know they get that roll on the EOTG table, but that's really not so cool! I'd rather have a Lord for that pts!

Now we get to one of my favourate units in the game!... THE KNIGHTS! I'm not gonna ramble on too much about this- just beieve me!... They are much better if you play them in 2 units of 5! AND DON'T GIVE THEM LANCES! 'Nuff said!

MAGIC ITEMS: You may only take each magic item once per army!
Characters may only take each item once per army AND only one item from each catagory per character!

There you go... Now you've got some advice to make your amy better, so hurry up and post your next list- I can't wait to see!

Happy Hunting!

Marticus
04-04-2009, 11:02 AM
well killer is master of fantasy chaos what more can i say :)... he is indeed right sorcery is as good as useless against dwarves so i wouldnt bother with a wizard a tooled up killing lord sounds good

Jasfmpgh
04-04-2009, 05:17 PM
The dwarf weaponry is going to shread your expensive foot guys.. you need some Mauraders on horseback to race ahead and take out his cannons and bolt throwers.

I also agree with Killer, Chosen are too expensive and knights don't need rank bonus.

Killer
05-04-2009, 12:45 AM
@ Marticus: Ahh, thanks for the kind words- I'm flattered, but flattery will get you nowhere! ;) :D

@ Jason: That should work. If nothing else the Marauder Horsemen will at the very least draw fire for one or two rounds! I also found that the Blasted standard works quite well in conjunction with the Knights' 1+ AS... Its up to you really! If you have enough pts Maruader Horsemen with the Mark of Slaanesh and flails make very good and effective warmashine-hunters!

So like I said... Let's see that list of your's!...

Icehaus.logan
05-04-2009, 04:16 AM
Thanks alot killer much appreciated. I have a couple questions if you dont mind.

If Im playing a 1500 point army, I dont get a lord choice do I? I only get 3 max heros right? Did you mean hero? Im confused. Still new to all the rules and everything. And I thought the Knights only had a +2 armor save not a +1, how is that?

Working on the new list right now, will have it posted here in a little while.

Thanks alot guys, really. :)

(Edit)

Ok here's the new army list with one hero choice...

Total Points = 1477 pts.

Exalted Hero:
Halberd
Mark of Khorne
Aethersword
Bloodcurdling Roar
Juggernaut of Khorne

Total: 249 Pts

COre Units: 598 Pts

12 Chaos Warriors
Full command
Halberds
Shields
Mark of Nurgle
Banner of Rage

12 Chaos Warriors
Full command
Halberds
Shields
Mark of Nurgle
Banner of Rage

Special Units:

5 Chaos Knights
Mark Of Nurgle
Full Command
Banner of rage

5 Chaos Knights
Mark Of Nurgle
Full Command
Banner of rage

Total: 630

Jasfmpgh
05-04-2009, 05:28 AM
Knights gain a 1+ save from
Chaos armor +4
Shield +1 (+3)
Horse +1 (+2)
Barding +1 (+1)

Killer
05-04-2009, 11:15 AM
First of all... Oops!:o I forgot you were playing a 1500pt army when I wrote that! So you were absolutely right- you don't get a Lord choice under 2000pts.

So you've made the right Hero-choice and the list looks better already, but there are a few things though...

If a Character has a magical weapon, he may ONLY USE THAT weapon. So giving him a Halberd defeats the purpose...
I don't usually take the Aethersword, but vs Dwarves it might not be such a bad idea! Remember to give him a shield!!! Then he has a 0+ armour save!!! (becuase the Juggernaut gives the rider +3armour instead of the normal +1)

I've said this before, but here goes again:
MAGIC ITEMS: You may only take each magic item once per army!
Characters may only take each item once per army AND only one item from each catagory per character!
IOW you may only have one of each magical banner per army! I suggest putting your hero in the warrior squad with the Rage Banner.

Give your Nurgle Knights a Warbanner, and make the other sqaud Knights Khorne with the Blasted Standard! Don't give your Knights a Champion- its too many pts for just one attack and also gives your opponent the chance to get his Characters out of too much combat by challanging! What makes this worse is that Chaos MUST ALWAYS challenge! That works quite well for me!... You can use that pts for Marauder horsemen with mark of Slaanesh with flails! Quite useful little buggers those!...

But otherwise it looks good! Now it's just to decide which banner to give which unit!...

@ Jas: Excellent summary, mate!

Icehaus.logan
05-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me killer.

Ok here is the new army list with a couple of your revisions and a few of my own.

Exalted Hero:
Mark of Khorne
Aethersword
Shield
Bloodcurdling Roar
Juggernaut of Khorne

Total: 250 Pts

Core Units: 661 Pts

12 Chaos Warriors
Stb/Mus
Halberds
Shields
Mark of Nurgle
Banner of Rage

Total: 287 pts

12 Chaos Warriors
Champion/Musician
Halberds
Shields
Mark of Nurgle

Total: 252 pts

7 Marauder Horsemen
Mark of Slaanesh
Light Armor
Flails

Total: 122 Pts

Special Units:

5 Chaos Knights
Mark Of Nurgle
Stb/Mus
War Banner

Total: 285 pts

5 Chaos Knights
Mark Of Khorne
Stb/mus
Blasted Standard

Total: 300 pts

Ok first I gave my hero a shield and took away his halberd like you suggested. Then, i thought about the points cost of having champions in my units. So I took all champs out to save points except for my one unit of nurgle warriors with no standard ( ill get to that in a second). Then I gave the banners i would benefit most from to my chaos knights and one unit of warriors. However I didnt give a banner to my one unit of nurgle warriors because the only banners that were left cost too much and did too little. Since Dwarves are magic resistant it would have been useless to give them a banner of wrath. The others banners did little to nothing for a big point cost so i just went ahead and left them a champion with no standard bearer.

So, after all of this i had 126 points left. I decided to throw in 7 marauder horsemen with flails and the mark of slaanesh mostly for distractionary purposes, or artillery hunting. Whatever the case may be, that was some good thinking on your part. Those guys can be useful for something. Anything else you see lemme know.

Thanks.

Killer
05-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Now this looks much better! Surely a force to recon with!

About the standard in the second Warrior squad... You don't have to give a unit's standard bearer(stb) a magical standard in order to upgrade to one. In other words, your units always benefit from a +1 combat resolution just for having a stb! So always take a stb and a muso! Champions are more there for tactical use... But if you want to, you can always give that squad the Raptuous Standard- very useful- so go check that out!

The Horsemen is a very good add! But I would don't give them any armour, because you won't benefit much from a 6+ save! Rather play 6 and give them a stb and muso or just a muso- it helps for rallying!

But futher it looks very good! Now its just to playtest the list and build up some experience to see which units and combos suite your style of play! Pretty soon you'll be able to make totally different lists that also work well!

So good luck and good hunting!

Killer
05-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Oh.. I'm always open for more questions and quite enjoy discussions and debates about armylists and tactics! So feel free to ask!

And don't forget to post a battle report when ever you can! It always helps to discuss what happened, what went right and what went wrong (and why), with the other guys!