PDA

View Full Version : LotR Tale of Gamers?

Hephesto
30-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Good day everybody! Due to interest for Tale of Gamers initiatives in the who plays with LotR minis-thread I've decided to post up this thread to check who would actually be interested in a Tale of Gamers - LotR style.

This is not a garantee we'll be able to get it going, but knowing that enough people would participate will most likely get things rolling. Personally I'll have to check if I can find the time to participate. Though the forces of the White Hand have been marching on the world of Men again in the back of my mind ;) I would be more than happy to put together a working plan and help coordinate any initiative that would come from this.

So would you take part in an Astro Tale of Gamers initiative focused on LotR?

And equally important would you prefer it to be LotR Skirmish or the new War of the Rings? Personally I'm leaning towards the War of the Ring as it is better suited for a 6 month Tale of Gamers. The downside is however that people will need to buy an extra rulebook and buy or make formation movement trays. So what does everybody think?

People interested so far (updated every 1-2 days)
- The Warsmith (Skirmish)
- Japehlio (WotR)
- Fire Harte
- Marticus
- Red Corsairs

The Warsmith
30-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Id be interested. Always wanted to make an isengard force. Would rpefer skirmish however, as we can still make large armies, then include WotR in our journal if we want to.

japehlio
30-03-2009, 06:12 PM
im up for it, more so for war of the ring because i tried LotR an didnt like it that much, but WotR i find to be much better... also id need to buy a rulebook either way, so meh!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
31-03-2009, 02:55 PM
I would be interested in this also Heoh, but there would need to be a way to balance those doing skirmish/battalions which is the only real difficulty.

The Warsmith
31-03-2009, 05:58 PM
As I suggested in the fantasy thread, why not let each member state how much they will paint/model per month, so they can keep up with their own finances/life instead of possibly being forced out by needing more than they can afford/do.

Really want to do it now though :)

Hephesto
31-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Noted, for both version I was already leaning towards a relatively 'do it your own way'-approach save for the first few units if you're starting a new army. But this makes a lott of sense as you'll be aiming at a playable army anyway so those leaders and standard footsloggers will make it into the list anyway.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
31-03-2009, 07:04 PM
If you did it that way then maybe points on the scale of work you have done each month?

EXAPLE:

0-10 points for painting
0-10 points for assembly
0-10 points for other bits and bobs

Basically gives more flow and freedom to the project.

The Warsmith
01-04-2009, 09:36 PM
So what armies would people be doing and why?

I like Isengard since the Uruks are truly a brutally strong legion of monstrous soldiers.

Marticus
03-04-2009, 10:52 AM
i could potentially be interested... depending on stuff... yeah i said stuff :) hmmmm skirmish would be easier for me though then up to wotr later maybe// just skirmish is cheaper :)

Red Corsairs
03-04-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm definitely interested in this! Missed out on joining the Tale of X gamers on One Ring so it'd be great to have one I could participate in here. Depending on when it starts as to what system I'd be doing it for, if quite close, Skirmish. If it's late May or after I'll be able to do it WotR (more time, more money for models :)).

Either way, it'll be Mordor I'll be working on.

Hephesto
03-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Good to hear we have some interested people, just got the new book (and some other bits and bobs) in the mail today. So I'll get a-reading from tomorrow in between thesis work of course ;) Not quite sure anymore which army I'd go with, there's just to much col stuff in there. Most likely I'll do Isengard due to having so much of their stuff on hand. But Mordor and the Fallen Realms are also very appealing, especially since I've acquired about a dozen blisters of Mahud stuff.

Carrelio
03-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Hmmm... I wouldn't have the money or the time to do both this one and the 'Tale of Inumerable Unfinished Gamers' over in the fantasy section... I'd have to pick... and it's pretty hard to decide between the two... I will see if it's in the cards ( no one I know plays, so I'm less interested... but I just like hobbying!)

Hephesto
04-04-2009, 12:57 AM
After some digging I've found another possible way to go:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/lotr/da.jpg

Together with some knights, command sections and Imrahil I'd have around 780 points.....though I could say the same for Moria, Mordor and Isengard...aaarggh, the agony of choice!

japehlio
04-04-2009, 03:52 AM
GULP!!! um, potential OW!!! lol anyway, i recently bought some corsairs and some easterlings, would you reckon i should hold off on the painting/asembling atm in case of a TO8G???

Hephesto
04-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Still have to work out a system and find people to help run the thing, so I'd hold of for a week or so. JUst so I cna mke certain that if we go ahead with it there's enough interest and support ;)

Red Corsairs
04-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I'd be happy to help out if you want. I'm buying some new Orcs myself tomorrow anyway :)

japehlio
04-04-2009, 01:04 PM
if helping out and taking part aren't mutually exclusive, i'll be happy to lend a hand...

The Warsmith
04-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Same here. Id prefer if we could do this sooner rather than later, as im currently on holiday for two weeks, before massive exam period which will create serious down time.

Hephesto
04-04-2009, 02:37 PM
I'll do my best to work something out this weekend, rather swamped with papers and thesis stuff though. So no promises I'm afraid, I'll try though ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
04-04-2009, 03:15 PM
I can't really afford to do LoTR right now but being a watcher and a helping hand etc is no problem by me. I'll also help you out with a rules system if you like.

The Warsmith
04-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Hmm, well we can base it on the 40K one easy enough. Implementing the idea of each member doing as much as they wish could need work however. Also, would we be doing Wotr of skirmish? (or both?)

Hephesto
05-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Been working my way through the new War of the Ring rulebook in between work and studying, figured I'd give some basic info on starting an army for this game.

Getting started is quite simple and doesn't even require you to get a ton of new stuff, if you have a favorite hero and some minis you're already set.

1. To start you need to pick an armylist from which you will be drawing your forces.
For the good guys this means Gondor & Arnor, the Kingdom of Rohan, the Elven Kingdoms, the Dwarven Holds or the Forgotten Kingdoms. The forces of Evil get to pick from Mordor, Isengard, the Misty Mountains, the Fallen Realms and Angmar.

2. Pick your hero.
Your force will need a single general figure, this is important as in some scenarios the object will be to kill the opposing general or keep your own one alive. There are two ways to go about picking this character. First you can go with one of the epic heroes like Aragorn, Boromir, Gothmog, the Wichtking etc. These are the big guys from the books and films, they are usually quite expensive but are not tied to remaining with a single formation. The second option is to take a legendary formation, this is pretty much a small regiment centered around one of the lesser characters like Gorbag, Shagrat etc.

3. Get the rest of the army going.
All entries in the army lists have a label about their rarity and you're only allowed to have so much rare stuff. You always have to start out with 1 common formation, this also intitles you to take 1 rare formation. If you want 2 rare formation you will also have to take an extra common choice and so forth. At the same time there's no limit to the amount of common choices you can take. It slips my memory for a second here, but I also remember reading that you can take as many legendary formations as you want.

Each entry in the book also indicates whether they are single minis (epic characters), infantry blocks, cavalry blocks or monsters. Blocks also get a minimum and a maximum number of companies you can take for that single formation. Simply put each formation consists of a number of companies, each company is representes by either the 8-men infantry movement base or the 2-rider calvary movement base. The size of an entire formation varies greatly over races and units from only as single one (usually rare formations like berzerkers) to 1-3/4 (elite and legendary formations) to full blown armies of 1-9 companies (orcs, goblins and more common troops). The same is true for cavalry, though in general they start from 2 companies.

4. Bonusses and allies.
As your army grows you will be allowed to take certain bonusses, the so-called fates and fortunes. Each comes at a price and ranges from cursed statues that will influence enemy movement, dwarvenbane swords, the gaze of Sauron etc. You are also allowed to take allies from other armylist that have the same allegiance as your force (good or evil). You may spend 25% of your points on allies, this is also when the rarity comes into play again. Rarity is calculated over an entire army, not over segments of it. So your perfectly allowed to spend 75% of your points on cheap Mordor common units like Orcs and Mordor Uruks and use the remaining 25% on rare formation from the Fallen Realms list.

All in all this is looking like a mighty fine game, but gaming and hobby wise. In fact the only downside I've found to far is that certain formation are a bit expensive to get as their figures are pewter, but let's face it we spend way too much cash on this hobby anyway. What's an extra 3 Dunlending Huskarl blisters in the end ;)

Hephesto
10-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Lord of the Rings Tale of Gamers rule suggestions.

As this postís title implies these are the first suggestions for a rule system for a LotR-themed Tale of Gamers. WHFB fans need not worry as Iím also putting together some guidelines for them as well! I'll do my very best to try and get ideas online for WHFB as well as LotR skirmish in the next couple of days. Have to find my WHFB core rulebook first though ;)

The rules below have a point system, but a Tale of Gamers is naturally purely meant to be fun and an extra stimulus to build a complete force. Much like in the 40K variant the points are there as a pad on the back for all the hard work and perhaps even to start a bit of competition between participants to keep up with one another . As requested Iíve included a rule system for both LotR skirmish and the new War of the Ring gaming systems.

War of the Ring

Project starts

xx-xx-2009

Project ends

6 months later

War of the Ring information

1. To start you need to pick an army list from which you will be drawing your forces.
For the good guys this means Gondor & Arnor, the Kingdom of Rohan, the Elven Kingdoms, the Dwarven Holds or the Forgotten Kingdoms. The forces of Evil get to pick from Mordor, Isengard, the Misty Mountains, the Fallen Realms and Angmar.

2. Pick your hero.
Your force will need a single general figure, this is important as in some scenarios the object will be to kill the opposing general or keep your own one alive. There are two ways to go about picking this character. First you can go with one of the epic heroes like Aragorn, Boromir, Gothmog, the Wichtking etc. These are the big guys from the books and films; they are usually quite expensive but are not tied to remaining with a single formation. The second option is to take a legendary formation, this is pretty much a small regiment centered on one of the lesser characters like Gorbag, Shagrat etc.

3. Getting the rest of the army going.
All entries in the army lists have a label about their rarity and you're only allowed to have so much rare stuff. You always have to start out with 1 common formation, this also entitles you to take 1 rare formation. If you want 2 rare formations you will also have to take an extra common choice and so forth. At the same time there's no limit to the amount of common choices you can take. Finally you can take as many legendary Formations as you want.

Each entry in the book also indicates whether they are single minis (epic characters), infantry blocks, cavalry blocks or monsters. Blocks also get a minimum and a maximum number of companies you can take for that single formation. Simply put each formation consists of a number of companies, each company is represented by either the 8-men infantry movement base or the 2-rider cavalry movement base called Companies. The size of an entire formation varies greatly over races and units from only as single one (usually rare formations like berserkers) to 1-3/4 (elite and legendary formations) to full blown armies of 1-9 companies (orcs, goblins and more common troops). The same is true for cavalry, though in general they start from 2 companies.

4. Bonuses and allies.
As your army grows you will be allowed to take certain bonuses, the so-called fates and fortunes. Each comes at a price and ranges from cursed statues that will influence enemy movement, dwarvenbane swords, the gaze of Sauron etc. You are also allowed to take allies from other army list that have the same allegiance as your force (good or evil). You may spend 25% of your points on allies, this is also when the rarity comes into play again. Rarity is calculated over an entire army, not over segments of it. So youíre perfectly allowed to spend 75% of your points on cheap Mordor common units like Orcs and Mordor Uruks and use the remaining 25% on rare formation from the Fallen Realms list.

Work schedule

Here you will find the goals you are encouraged to complete in each month of this project, naturally you are certainly allowed to do more. But I think this will keep you busy enough ;)

Month 1 - Getting Started

In your first month you will need to pick you main army list and your (initial) leader. Naturally as your army grows so will your ability to field numerous and more powerful heroes. So this guy doesnít have to remain your leader to the very end, but we need to start somewhere. At the end of each month you are also expected to write a short report detailing your progress of the last month, your thoughts and ideas for the coming month(s) and whatever else you want to put in there.

Things to be completed for +5 points:
- Monthly report posted in the last week of the month.
- 1 painted and based leader, this can be an Epic Hero or a Legendary Formation.
- 1 painted and based Common Formation (minimum of 2 infantry Companies or 3 cavalry Companies).

Month 2 - Gather your forces

It is time to add some more troops in order to get this army started, this entails marshalling some more core troops as well as some veterans! By adding some command units like a banner bearer, captain or shaman you should have a pretty decent starting army in no time at all.

- 1 painted and based Rare Formation of your choice.
- 1 painted and based Common Formation (minimum of 2 infantry Companies or 3 cavalry Companies). These can be used to expand upon your Common Formation of your first month, so they do not have to be an entirely new formation. Though I would advice upon taking at the very least 2 Common Formations.

Month 3 - The army grows

From here on things are entirely up to you, which is most likely a good thing as the different army lists are quite diverse. With the stuff from the first two months you will have a solid core upon which to expand, as such the Ďrulesí to gain each monthís points are pretty undefined.

- 2 painted and based Formations of your choice.
- Though a minimum of 3 Companies should be added (Monsters and Epic Heroes count as 1 Company).

Month 4 - Battle is here

Around this point you should have enough stuff to play a decent game, if you have opponents that is of course. So with some luck the first battle reports with these new armies will be hitting the forum this month, as a little extra encouragement your first battle report will be worth double bonus points this month.

- Though a minimum of 3 Companies should be added (Monsters and Epic Heroes count as 1 Company).

Bonus points for month 4:
- In this month the first battle report from each participant will with double points, so add 4 instead of 2 bonus points to your total score.

Month 5 - The battle rages on as allies join the fray

The Lord of the Rings, and in particular the War of the Ring, is not a tale focused on a single battle or people. Itís all out war all over the world and Man and Orc, with great alliances being forged will dark betrayal seeks to end ties of blood as old as the One Ring. None can hope to stand again the tide alone and be it by blood, trust or fear allies will have to be sought out.

Adding a Formation or two from another allied army list can really help give your force some more character. This is especially true if you have taken a certain battle from Tolkienís magical world as the theme for your army! But as said earlier, this is your army. So I will not penalize those who prefer to still to a single army list, thereís just a little bonus this month for those who broaden their horizon.

Bonus points for month 5:
- For each Formation (Common, Rare, Monster or Hero) taken from another allied army list you receive an additional +1 point, up to a +4 bonus.

Month 6 - Finishing up

Though with the War of the Ring there is no such thing as an end, we will be closing off the Tale of Gamers at the end of this month. So it is time to put together those last extra couple of units as well a thorough look back at your endeavors of the last months!

Bonuses:

- 5+ converted characters in a 2+ compagny Formation = +1 point

- Scenic movement bases, which either really fits with its parent Formation or has been elaborately converted + 1 point per Formation

- Scenery project added to your army = +1 per object (building, wood etc.)

- Battlereport +2 points

LotR Skirmish

Coming in a day or two!

Carrelio
10-04-2009, 11:32 PM
I think I'd like to make an Angmar force! Lead by the Witch King! I havn't quite got past there yet... but I like Angmar's story, so I shall go with them! But I'm still not sure if I can afford this... lol

japehlio
11-04-2009, 04:20 PM
well i bought a load of stuff on the launch day (grab bags hee hee) so i pretty much have my full army now, going with the fallen realms list, and have a load of easterlings :)!!!

Carrelio
11-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Quick very noobish question (I've never played LOTR) what is a common formation composed of? If I bought a box of 24 orcs, would that make a common formation, or would it make 3 common formations of 8 (the boxes seem to be divided into 8's)?

Hephesto
11-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Depends a bit on how you want to equip them. But a standard box of Mordor Orcs comes with 8 archers, so that makes 2 formations. 2 normal Orc infantry and 1 Orc infantry with bows.

In addition I'll get something similar together for LotR skirmish tomorrow ;)

Eodred
21-04-2009, 01:13 AM
When were you planning on starting this Heph?

If it's June onwards I should be able to do an Elf army (beautiful new minis).

Cheers
E

Hephesto
21-04-2009, 01:25 AM
It's on the to do list...which keeps getting longer every day. Shouldn't be too long.....really ;)

Eodred
21-04-2009, 01:32 AM
:D

The 40K version will be finished first then?

That'll be good.

Cheers
E

Oh and Heph, if the to do list gets long enough to need a snorkel, burn it and start again ;)

Carrelio
21-04-2009, 03:34 AM
I think I've got it!!! Carrelio knows his army! But I have a question before I rush off and buy a bunch of stuff in excitement... are ghosty soldiers good? I have a horrible sneeking suspition that they might be really bad at combat and such...

In case anyone is wondering, I'm making an undead Angmar army... so there will be alot of ghosty units... and I don't want it to suck... so I figured I'd ask if ghost like dead marsh specters are any good.

Hephesto
21-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Alrighty I'll get this thing sorted over the next 2-3 days. At the same time I'd like to see some official sign-ups detailing if you want to join the skirmish of war of the rin variant and which army you'll be playing ;)

Eodred
21-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Do you mean getting the rules sorted in the next few days or starting the log?

The timing will decide whether I can take part or not, though judging by how much I've got done with the Templars, I don't spose anybody's interested in whether I take part or not. :o

Ahwell.

Cheers
E

japehlio
21-04-2009, 10:48 AM
@ Carrelio, yes!rather than rolling to hit vs the defence of the target, they roll to hit vs the courage. so all the armour in the world wont save you!

Hephesto
21-04-2009, 11:10 AM
My plan would be to sort out the rules by the end of the week, get feedback and sign-ups. And then get it rolling on the first, which is just 10 days away.

Eodred
21-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Ahwell.

I wont be able to take part, but should be a good read :)

Cheers
E

Carrelio
21-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Hmmm... interesting...

Hephesto
21-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Should have stuff up this thursday, just went through 1300 posts of funny pics so I'm a bit beat ;)

Carrelio
21-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Take your time... I'm broke... lol... can't get started for a few weeks till the money tree has a chance to grow back a bit.

The Warsmith
22-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Ive got GCSE exams within 3 weeks, until about the 18th of June, so unless I can join late or it doesnt start till then, then im out.

Hephesto
26-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Alrighty sounds like everybody is quite busy with important stuff. So perhaps it is better to start this one of the first of July?

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
26-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Alrighty chaps the time draws near to start this. However I have discussed with heph an alternative so all systems can be used and we will hopefully discuss fleshing out the specifics at a later date next week.

If anybody sees this in the little corner it is in who would be interested in participating in this Tale of x Gamer Project? It will be open to all members new and old.

Carrelio
27-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Maybe for the skirmish... I can't afford war of the ring... the cash is low!

japehlio
27-06-2009, 03:17 AM
im in for WOTR, have a 2000 point easterling force.

however :(, a little bit has been painted...

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
27-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Don't worry here's the thing:

THIS PROJECT WILL BE DESIGNED SO ANY GAME SYSTEM (that's any from 40k to Man O War) CAN BE USED

it's also an attempt at a bigger audience.

Hephesto
01-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Indeed so, will be discussing some stuff and rules with FH somewhere this/coming week so we can get a new Tale started!

The Warsmith
04-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Just checked this. I am interested to see where this could go...

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
12-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Sorry to you al guys, I've not been able to access the internet and I've not been able to get Heph on msn (which still works).

Vulpus Rex
12-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Is the "any system" project still going ahead then. If so you might want to change the title of this thread to get some more interest.

Ossai
12-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I should be able to join in August, If it is any system, that would be great, if not then I will be happy to do a LOTR force too.

Hephesto
12-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Trying to figure out a system that would work for all mainstream GW games, once I do I'll start up a new thread! Looks like a similar scoring system per game would work, just need to outline different goal systems. Difference is size is a considerable factor as well. Normal 40K and LotR don't take a lott of minis to get something going, War of the Ring and WHFB generally required a lot more work and bigger units. No worries, I'll figure something out asap!

Vulpus Rex
12-07-2009, 08:37 PM
I feel a WFB Chaos force coming on :) or a 40k Tau force :rolleyes:

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
17-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Heph my comp will be going in for repair tomorrow so when I get it back I'll discuss my ideas on a generic one so you ain't alone doing it.

Hephesto
19-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Ace, your support is much appreciated!