PDA

View Full Version : Pewter Models

lupusumbra
02-07-2006, 11:44 PM
So I had a \"great idea\" . I thought that pewter models came apart too easily when glued together. So if any one else has an idea on keeping them together I\'ll take it. But I thought that soldering a model together would work, as I proceded to melt about a quarter of an inch of a wraith. So any other ideas or am I gonna spend sometime practising before i start on things like leman russ and cypher to solder them together.

*I had to rewrite most of that mate, the spelling made it hard to get what you were asking. Try to read back before you post and sort things like spelling out if you are rushing a post.

Thanks

Indra*

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/07/03 02:05

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/07/03 02:20

Indra
03-07-2006, 01:07 AM
In answer to your question, pinning the model is the only sure way to get a more secure fixture. So invest in a pin vice and drill and you\'re off.

Sometimes a little Green stuff in filling gaps will be necessary and will strengthen the join, but it really needs a pin as it normally wont hold on its own.

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/07/03 02:20

mark
03-07-2006, 01:29 AM
do you know where to get a cheap pin vice/drill the gw one is a rip off

Indra
03-07-2006, 01:34 AM
Actually I found the GW one to be really good value, but failing that any model shop ought to at least know where to go to get one.

:)

lupusumbra
03-07-2006, 02:36 AM
even with things pinned, i still manage to break the puter modles, thats why im looking.

grinkohof
03-07-2006, 02:43 AM
i would not advise getting the gamesworkshop drill, it is too expensive. you should get a small electrical drill, its about the same price and it makes pinning a whole lot easier.

Indra
03-07-2006, 06:24 AM
Quicker, yes.

Safer? No. One slip and its a world of hurt. Trust me, I slipped one time, and I will always use my GW drill, even if it takes forever, I aint skewerng myself again.

Are you pinning deeply enough Lup? Failing that double pinning, although, I have to wonder and ask... how do you come to break them? I mean pinning is good enough to withstand gaming rigours certainly, so either they are being transported poorly or you play tennis with them instead of tennis balls.

How do they break? I think advice on that topic may serve you better.

Indrafurya

lupusumbra
03-07-2006, 06:58 AM
not so much with the tennis thing, but mymodles spent a year and a half in a closet geting barried, uncovered, rebarried ect. so thats the kind of abuse that my modles get, that and havinga 2 year old will do that to anything. So i think im pinning deep enough, but that mightbe the problum. But melting a modle is fun, just got to not do it to offten.

mark
03-07-2006, 08:13 PM
ill still keep looking for a drill (im not paying 8 quid) i think ill stay away from an eletric drill though,

why not try pinning and putting a tiny little piece of GS each side before you stick them together, it gives the super glue something to hold onto, or instead of GS file down with a really ruff file to make a key this also gives the glue something to hold onto.

i dont hav a 2 year old around the place but i have ac at which likes to steal my marines and knocking all my componants off my desk onto the floour :angry:

lupusumbra
03-07-2006, 11:43 PM
well a cat a two year old and a wife that likes to barie modles all amount to a modle war zone, nothing is safe.

DavicusPrime
03-07-2006, 11:57 PM
I\'m thinking that you are simply asking the models to survive in an enviroment that they cannot.

Sounds like you need to pack your mini\'s into an actual case, store bought or homemade, that will keep weight off your little toys.

I have 2 youngins with a third on the way, a cat that sees all small objects as chew toys and my own self inflicted messiness to contend with. My primary defense is a soft sided carry case with foam trays for my painted mini\'s.

Before I bought that, though I had a shelf in a child proof cabinet and a series of shoe boxes that my wife graciously allowed me for the sake of protecting my mini\'s... that\'s where I keep all my works in progress now.

-DavicusPrime

lupusumbra
04-07-2006, 01:01 AM
thanks for the abvice. I havea real case, but even in a good case they take a lot of abuse when the kid and the dog and wife get a hold of it.

Indra
04-07-2006, 02:21 AM
He he, I have two... look:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/RonJonesLP/Ryan%20Scott%20Jones/Cutepicsofthekids004.jpg

My eldest is two and a half, and I can trust her with my Hive Tyrants, because from very young she learned not to be rough with the mini\'s and now she\'s always very careful.

Ahh, bless.

DavicusPrime
04-07-2006, 03:22 AM
I\'ve been working on mine too... Common phrase: \"Those are Daddy\'s toys. Please put them down, honey.\"

My daughter has only damaged one model and it was while I was first assembling it. If she was going to break it that was the best possible time.

Other than that I recently found some razorwire coils, I had just made the night before, stretched out and unwound. My fault for leaving them out.

-DavicusPrime

Indra
04-07-2006, 04:45 AM
I found that the thing with my kids was that they were allowed to look gently at the models, and then they were allowed to put them down gently, rather than taking them her, so that she felt like she was a part of it, and from there she just treats them really well.

Funny thing is, the only time she ever broke one was when she got into my carry case and she was ever so gently looking at them (There was no one in the room at the time, so for her to be so careful is testament to itself...) and carefully replacing them as well as her dexterity would allow, and only when she closed the carry case did she close it on a Tyranid warriors body breaking him from the base at the ankle.

I was so imoressed with her care and attention at two years old that I had not the heart to tell her off, she was only appreciating (that\'s the right word for sure) my \'monsters- RRAARRGH!\'

Bless.

:)

lupusumbra
05-07-2006, 08:56 PM
so nothing a little tlc can\'t fix.
When all else fails try love and attenchen.
Thanks guy