PDA

View Full Version : Green stuff

Lascannon O_O!
09-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Im useless with it.I only use it for filling in any unsightly gaps on my models so my question is this - What are the basics of using green stuff?
For me its just too difficult to work with really.

Hephesto
09-03-2009, 11:17 PM
For me there are three things that are vital for any kind of GS work:

- Keep things (place you're applying the GS and your tools) wet, helps prevent too much sticky situations.

- Take it slow and if you're not happy with the first attempt take it of and try again. Practise makes perfect and all ;)

- Apply it roughly in the direct place and shape and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. Things will slowly start to harden, making it slightly more resilient when sculpting. Which means you can get more detail in and the GS won't stick to your tools as much.

Vis Incognitus
09-03-2009, 11:49 PM
I certainly have to agree with Heph's points.

For me there are three things that are vital for any kind of GS work:
- Keep things (place you're applying the GS and your tools) wet, helps prevent too much sticky situations.

I'd have to say that one above anything else is the most important. If whatever you're using to sculpt the GS is sticking to it, you'll rarely be happy with the result.

- Take it slow

Also excellent advice. GS hardens gradually; you don't have to rush and as long as you're working it, you actually slow down the hardening process somewhat. I'd say it's also important not to expect miracles; you may need to do larger projects in stages so that you can get better details in the end.

-Vis

Lascannon O_O!
10-03-2009, 11:18 PM
I see...
Thanks for the help.

Lion El'Jonson
20-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Personally i have found Vaseline(petroleum jelly) a better medium to use to prevent GS sticking to the tools your using.
but that is my own opinion. go with what ever you find works best for you.

mcnutter
20-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Vaseline if you are sculpting, wipe the excess onto the back of your hand, and replenish on the tool as necessary, and baby oil if you are making moulds/castings with GS, just my two pence-worth.