You can paint the areas of darker colors with black over the white primer
Cons:
Very thin in cold temperatures, producing pools of paint and covering detail
Missing an area shines like a beacon

Brother_Bobo
08-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Black all the way
Red and Yellow foundation paints cover black really well
and if you need to paint white just start with codex grey or dheneb stone and paint white over it

Skringly
09-03-2009, 11:12 PM
I use that faily light Camo Green so it has to be white for me!

Silver
10-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Poll, perhaps? With the option enabled to see which member/voter favors which spray? ;)

Drackonis
10-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Personally I use black, because it makes painting my Black Templars so much easier.

But, I have seen people use both black and white undercoat. They start of with black and then do a couple light coats of white, so they get the pre-shading of the black undercoat with the lighter colours of the white, and the contrast between the white and the black makes it a lot easier to see details.

Kind of like how some people will wash/dry brush their models to bring out the detail to make painting easier.

Nomad
10-03-2009, 05:52 AM
I use either, and both occaisionally, depending on what model I am doing and what effect I am painting.

I always kinda liked white, probably because the old Smelly Primer was an off-white and so every model was undercoated white. Black does make alot of things easier.

Billthebloody
10-03-2009, 08:24 AM
I alway use black simply for the reason that areas that are hard to reach well with the brush or areas you've missed blend in as shade when black has been used whereas if you use white you'd better make damn sure you've painted every bit of the mini or the error is glaring.

darknight
10-03-2009, 09:24 AM
black is mostly used as said it gives a degree of shading, especially if youre going to use a drybush, white yes is better and easier for bright colours, grey can be used as a middle of the road colour as well, personally i use all 3, depending on what i want my finished colours to be

nozza
10-03-2009, 09:40 AM
when I first started painting I used white, minis turned out shocking and had to all go in the dip but that might have somthing to do with my painting to, but know black all the way:)

Nomad
10-03-2009, 10:00 AM
If using white, remember, many thin coats, never one thick one...

v1pera
10-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Poll, perhaps? With the option enabled to see which member/voter favors which spray? ;)

Good idea :) Added

Marticus
10-03-2009, 12:03 PM
always have used white.... but then i started painting in the bright days :) so force of habit i guess, and of course i mainly paint elves.. so going to white from black not soo good

Vulpus Rex
10-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Painting my marines ultramarines blue, then a blue wash, black gives a better basecoat. I do have one unit of very bright assault marines who were undercoated white though.

Arkaedin
10-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Depends on what I'm doing. Usually black, but that's because it's easier for me to paint my marines. If i want a high-quality model (with flesh tones, usually) I'll go white because blending is a lot smoother and a lot more vivid. But it always depends on the model and what I want the end result to be.

Fear the Psyker
10-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Black - It's more forgiving than white when you miss an armpit. Also, I tend to favor darker colors, so there's no great reason to use white.