PDA

View Full Version : thickness of board

marneuscalgar9
28-06-2006, 11:25 PM
right guys gotta rush cos again im doing this in school

proplem me and my mates planned our board during maths but the only thing were stuck on is what thickness of the polystyrene do we use

any tips would be great cheers

jonboy

DavicusPrime
29-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Need more info...

What kind of construction: Plywood with foam on top? Foam alone? ?

How deep do you want to be able to go if/when you carve terrain features into it? Just some trenches or water features: 1\" will do. Anything else and you ought to go to 2\". this asumes you have more than just the foam... Carving into it would require some backing material to strengthen it (hardboard/MDF/masonite maybe?)

Whatcha plannin?

-DavicusPrime

Indra
01-07-2006, 06:27 AM
If its just a gaming board then MDF in 2 foot by four foot sheets from B&Q (UK) at a fiver a board you gan chip a little in each and bingo, any size table you like.

Its easy this way and cheap too. I bought some hinges and made my table foldable for storage. 4x4 size is ideal in my house. You can go bigger, its your table. Go for at least 9mm MDF if you go that way, although 15mm is the strongest you\'ll ever need, but its heavy.

Avoid polystyrene, its costs more and also breaks more easily, so unless you plan to take UBER care of the game board, avoid it. Saying that, it is light and carveable, so if you brace it as Davicus suggests it\'ll last a lot longer (5mm MDF is ideal)

Duct tape is good to brace the sides of any table. Definately duct tape the edges, and heat the tape with a hair dryer to shape the tape and heat the glue to give a better bond. It\'ll last forever.

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/07/01 06:29