PDA

View Full Version : Model and Painting Question and Comment

Carrelio
27-02-2009, 01:57 AM
Hey guys!
I have made this thread for 2 reasons, first to make a comment and then a question... and maybe a second question about the comment.

The comment:
I recently recieved my prize for second place in the winter modeling contest. And what I notices was weird... the plastic on those models is hard and brittle in comparison to the Canadian stuff (which is alot like wax, and can even bend to some degree). The first question (which is actually the second question mentioned in that intro paragraph thing) is, will this make any difference in the durability of the models? They seem to be harder plastic but more brittle.

Secondly comes an actual question of great importance (the first one is basically solved because most of my fire warriors go in a case anyways, so breaking is only a small worry). My friend decided he doesn't like Tau (I don't know why he had any... as he plays Marines) and gave me all these miniatures he didn't want. The question comes in when I mention the primer used on the models... it actually looks like a high gloss varnish rather than primer... not wanting to waste primer priming primed models, I was wondering, should I trust paint to stick to this stuff or should I reprime it just to be safe?

Thanks in advance for the advice on the primer (and the comments on the brittle british mini's... but it's more about the primer!)

Commissar_Cain
27-02-2009, 02:09 AM
I noticed on the last batch of marines I bought, and on the black reach box, that GW is using a new kind of plastic, it looks very Dark Grey, as apposed to the previous pale grey version, and the flash is a little more difficult to scrape off because it flakes when you drag a blade across it, suggesting it is very brittle as well. I think this is a manufacturing decision gone awry.

As for priming, put a colored primer on it. Just a light coat in case it is primed with varnish, though that seems like a rather bad idea in the first place... Hope this helps

grimdisco
27-02-2009, 02:18 AM
As for the primer I would strip them, if it is a varnish primer may not stick. Just hope that it is not an enamel gloss. That stuff is wicked hard to do anything to or with.

Carrelio
27-02-2009, 02:29 AM
Alright, thanks for the primer advice guys :D