PDA

View Full Version : Dullcote/Dull Coat, whatever.

scribe
26-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Just wanted to get your ideas on using dullcote/dull coat thingy ma jig. Obviously the straight forward question is should I be using it on my models once they're finished? I don't want my careful paintjob to get worn out by useage. Does it give a nice smooth finish to the model without devaluing the paintjob?

Thanks.

grimdisco
27-02-2009, 01:24 AM
yes it dos.

scribe
27-02-2009, 01:35 AM
yes it dos.

OK, cool, it doesn't effect metallics differently or anything? I am thinking of grabbing some because I hate the bases of my models getting scuffed or the paint fading where you pick them up. :)

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
27-02-2009, 01:44 AM
Bear in mind that dullcote is less durable than proper clearcoat or gloss varnish- for best results, spray first with the gloss, then with the matte. Same effect as straight dullcote, but exponentially greater durability.

LAZtheinfamous
27-02-2009, 04:05 AM
Personally, I use a matt clear coat spray, works pretty good.

Captain Castus
27-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Bear in mind that dullcote is less durable than proper clearcoat or gloss varnish- for best results, spray first with the gloss, then with the matte. Same effect as straight dullcote, but exponentially greater durability.

Definately what he said... Gloss/satin for protection... Then Dullcote (or similar... I've only used Dullcote) to take off the shine...

CC

darknight
27-02-2009, 09:23 AM
hey scibe, this is important, i use dullcoat for obviously you want a matt finish, nothing is more matt than dullcoat, in fact sometimes i have gone over with a satin as its really matt! but, i use the paint on one in the small pinky/purple bottle. you MUST use gloss/ardcoat first. this seals the mini and brings out the colours more, let that really dry overnight prefferably.
now with the brush on its really easy get a big brush load it well and very quickly slop all over the mini, dont hang about an area as it will pull off even thin gloss and paint, practise on anouther one first, the paint is like self leveling and drys really smooth however you put it on.
if youre using it in the spray, as i do in my airbrush, still i advise brushing on gloss not spraying for a thicker coat.

scribe
27-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Right, I am going to have to have a good look at this.

So if I get some gloss and some dull :) I should be looking to brush the gloss on one day, leave it for a night, then brush the dull on later but do both quickly? Is spraying them on not as good then? If I am brushing them on, would you suggest something like a tank brush?

All questions, I know. :)

I was checking out GW's site and looking at the satin purity seal spray. Could I use that for the first layer and then the dullcote for the second?

Captain Castus
27-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Purity seal's too thin to give really good protection... Although I've recently found it's useful for sealing acrylics quickly and easily before applying oil paint effects over the top... (for vehicles)

I use a painted on satin varnish (Humbrol) to give a good thick (relatively speaking) protective coat and then spray on Dullcote for a matt finish...

Note - If you spray Dullcote on too think it still leaves a 'satin' finish... You need to be really light with it if you want a 'dead' matt effect...

CC

p.s. @Darknight - Which paint-on matt varnish do you use and where do you get it from?

darknight
27-02-2009, 02:18 PM
you can brush the gloss on as normal, i prefer brushing as it gives a thicker coat and as i said will bring out he colours more, its just the dullcoat you need to be quicker with, not lightning but dont hang about just put it on then leave it, it is quite a strong smell, so use well ventilated and it evaporates fast, itl be dry really quick (but dont touch for a while) spraying is ok, i still brush on my gloss coat but i do spray dullcoat as well, which as cc says does leave it sometimes a bit satin.brush wise i use a gw large brush.
cc, i use testors dullcoat, which really is the best, oh i forgot to say make sure you shake the bottle well, as if you leave it you will notice it seperates, thats the paint stripper! so a good shake then use, air brushing i dilute, with testors mix as well.
well i get it from the states, sent by a friend, if ya want some pm me, its a 51ml bottle, last you a life time, forgot ecxact price but its about a tenner with the p+p