PDA

View Full Version : Commission Example Piece...Ideas?

TheSovereign
27-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Well I\'m looking to start a commission painting service, and I\'m going to be advertising at a local hobby shop. I asked about it today, and they said they wanted an example model so they know they\'re not referring customers to some guy who can\'t paint. I haven\'t decided what to do -- I have a few spare models lying around, and I\'d rather not buy an expensive piece for something that I\'m giving away. I\'ve got a Space Marine Apothecary, some Imperial Guard, Death Cult Assassins, a Witch Hunter Crusader, and some other bits and bobs.

What do you think I should paint up and how to be the most exemplary of my work? I\'m thinking either something outlandish and over the top in terms of colour scheme to show off different techniques, or an established scheme like Ultramarines for players who want that sort of thing. What do you guys suggest?

Indra
27-06-2006, 02:25 PM
If you have the spares then something standard and also something more special. Show off your mass painting skills (Armies and such) and your character piece skill for the one offs.

If you can do a squad of Space Marines (I\'m thinking about taking your spares and adding one of those 3 man snap together box sets) and mounting it on a base, that\'ll show your standard skills off.

As for the one off? Not sure really, just pick a nice mini or invest in a good one for the sake of your advertising, like Calgar or something.

DarthXander
27-06-2006, 03:17 PM
I agree, do two examples, something to show your mass painting skills and something to show your individual model as unless the price is right I wouldnt spend as long on a squad as I would on a HQ choice!!

Those snap fit Space Marines or some IG would be good for the squad and then a more intricate model for the individual and then you could have two rates one for basic painting and one for exceptional painting!

Corvus
27-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Yup, above 2 answers are perfect... but I would say definatly buy an impressive model, if someone wants to see what you can really do they would be more impressed by say... a lord of change than a tactical marine or character heh

Teslatrooper
27-06-2006, 11:28 PM
I like the withchunter crusader, you can do some amazing designs in his shield and hood. he will make an impact if he is done properly. Cheers! :)