Rotting flesh
Bronzed flesh
Sunburst yellow
Snakebite leather
Terracotta
Codex grey
Boltgun metal
Mithril silver
Chaos black(And chaos black spray paint)
Skull white
And some 'ardcoat varnish

At the moment I'll be painting black legion chaos space marines and khorne daemons.
Any idea what paints I should get or should already have?

v1pera
22-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Well it all depends on your color scheme. You can always mix the paints you don't have

Edited to add: You should get some blue paints though

Hephesto
22-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Some kind of bone colour shoul also come in handy, bleached bone for example. Additionally I can greatly recommend graveyard earth, it is ideal for pouches, leather areas and even the sides of your bases.

Other colour would really depend on what you're planning to do with your colourschemes. Given you seem to focus on quite a bit of Khornate stuff a colour like brazen brass or tin bits could come in handy as well.

Lascannon O_O!
22-02-2009, 02:33 PM
I just remembered that I used to have enchanted blue.
Its probably lying around somewhere, but I'll look for it another time.
Also, ive been using snakebite leather for my pistol holders, is graveyard earth much better?
And what should I use for the rim of my black legions armour shining gold or brazen brass?
Im asking because when I use shining gold on my black legion it usually doesn't turn out the right shade of gold/brass.

v1pera
22-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Try burnished gold with maybe a little bit of tin bliz

TheGreatGreyMoose
22-02-2009, 03:12 PM
i find i'm lost without tinbitz, burinshed gold, brazen brass and dwarf bronze. as you already have the reds you need I'd say that's pretty much it for the khornate rainbow!

grimdisco
22-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Browns Browns Browns
they are more handy than any other color

Kishvier
22-02-2009, 04:57 PM
They don't make Tin Bitz or Brazen Brass anymore though do they?

v1pera
22-02-2009, 05:24 PM
They don't make Tin Bitz or Brazen Brass anymore though do they?

Well they do sell them on their website

Kishvier
22-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Really...I may have to buy a few, like 100 vials.:D

Skringly
22-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Hmmm, tell something that is out of production, Inks. And no I do not think these so called "Washes" are a good replacement, the main reason being that I can hold all the colours in one hand. Thats not a good sign.

Anyways for colours, I would highly recomend browns or other 'earthy' tones.

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
22-02-2009, 09:42 PM
The washes aren't that bad, actually- they're not a replacement, but a nice supplement. Removing the inks was definitely a mistake, though.

Kishvier
22-02-2009, 09:48 PM
I agree, the inks removal was not a good move but the washes are great.

scribe
23-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Browns Browns Browns
they are more handy than any other color

To be honest, not really... it's often a misconception that you need lots of browns; you can easily make up your own browns by mixing purples and yellows or blues and oranges. I haven't tried red and green but I think that's another way of getting brown and by chaning the tone of the brown with white or black.

If you want to achieve a good look, you need to be using multiple tones of everything, in my opinion. Otherwise the model lacks nuance. Browns can be really bland in some cases but great in others. Orks look great with browns because you get the contrast between the warm brown and the cold green. It's all about balance and as such, quite simply, you just need a few shades of everything.

I do have a lot of reds though. You can have fun mixing them and getting a very subtle blend by having more shades to each colour. greys, browns, metallics, everything...

Commissar_Cain
23-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Black Legion... Lots of Chaos black. Ive been doing black armor on my 1st Legion, and after about 40 models, mostly marines and one dreadnought, Ive gone through like 4 bottles of Chaos Black, and am about to get 3 more to finish up. Bleached bone tends to go quickly as well...

Kishvier
23-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Black Legion... Lots of Chaos black. Ive been doing black armor on my 1st Legion, and after about 40 models, mostly marines and one dreadnought, Ive gone through like 4 bottles of Chaos Black, and am about to get 3 more to finish up. Bleached bone tends to go quickly as well...

As does silver and gold in my black legion.

tarantulus
24-02-2009, 11:28 AM
To be honest, not really... it's often a misconception that you need lots of browns; you can easily make up your own browns by mixing purples and yellows or blues and oranges. I haven't tried red and green but I think that's another way of getting brown and by chaning the tone of the brown with white or black.

by that theory, the only colours anyone needs are red,blue,yellow,black and white... mixing is fine, but getting an exact match when you come to try again is VERY difficult. I have 4 browns which I use on a regular basis for bone, leather, mud and much much more, I think breown is the only colour I have used on every army I own.

If you want to achieve a good look, you need to be using multiple tones of everything, in my opinion. Otherwise the model lacks nuance. Browns can be really bland in some cases but great in others. Orks look great with browns because you get the contrast between the warm brown and the cold green. It's all about balance and as such, quite simply, you just need a few shades of everything.

this I agree with, but this is where I use your first point, for base colours mixing is a terrible idea, for highlighting and shading mixing is a godsend to get the multiple shades you talk about.

I do have a lot of reds though. You can have fun mixing them and getting a very subtle blend by having more shades to each colour. greys, browns, metallics, everything...

and why not with any other colour? I tend to "blue" my metallics to get a colder look, I often "yellow" my browns to get a clay colour.

imho you need to think "what are the most common colours I use" buy them, and a couple of pots of black and white. anything else is a bonus.

Scoppio
24-02-2009, 02:47 PM
i have only one brown: - Ink brown

the others are all skin tones and one snake leather

Lascannon O_O!
24-02-2009, 06:23 PM
I can still get loads of inks at my local shop.
And Ive heard that bronzed flesh was discontinued, but I can still get it there too.
Are the inks worth it?

Kishvier
24-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Yes, or you can make them by just watering down paint a ton.