PDA

View Full Version : Highlighting

v1pera
20-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Soo... I was highlighting (for the very first time) and I figured that relatively thin paint makes it easier to do. Anything else I should know about this mysterious art?

Here are pictures of the attempt:
Front (http://i41.tinypic.com/357ojli.png)
Back (http://i44.tinypic.com/2vlw6f4.png)

Skringly
21-02-2009, 01:41 AM
when you painted the highlights did you use the tip or the side of your brush? Oh and nice job, I hoping to pick up this art too.

v1pera
21-02-2009, 01:53 AM
I used the side of my brush for the corners and the tip for the flat surfaces like the little highlight between the armor plates

Skringly
21-02-2009, 02:12 AM
Yep as I thought, thanks.

scribe
21-02-2009, 03:43 AM
First things first, no matter what you're highlighting, you want to do it in layers for the super polished effect and yes, all the paints should be thinned down with water to help you. Just not too much or you'll get a nasty run which can be tidied but still, is a pain.

What you should do is mix the basecoat colour with a slightly lighter green and then apply this over the edges carefully. Once you've done that, apply the lighter green in a pure concentration over the edges, you should start to see the colour lift from the background. Then mix this green with another lighter green and apply it over the edges. Once you've got to this point, having very carefully highlighted your way up, take the lighter green from the previous mixture (same process as the first step) but this time, highlight only the middle 2/3's of the edges. Then mix this green with a lighter one once again. As you get brighter and sometimes even up to white, you want to highlight less and less of the edge and come toward the centre of the edges as you do so.

It's not that difficult to do, just be careful not to do too many highlights. Not every single edge needs to be highlighted, just the most prominent ones. Often, less is more. :). have a go, seriously, don't be put off by the idea, you're already developing the hard bit which is the brush control.

Carrelio
21-02-2009, 04:11 AM
To go into a little more detail on Scribe's comment about watering down your paint, in case you are wondering, a good baseline for highlight paint thickness is around the consistancy of milk.

v1pera
21-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks scribe :)

grimdisco
21-02-2009, 11:40 AM
MMMMMmmmmmmm!! MIILK!!!!!

v1pera
21-02-2009, 11:48 AM
MMMMMmmmmmmm!! MIILK!!!!!

Was that really necessary :rolleyes:

Kishvier
22-02-2009, 01:54 AM