PDA

View Full Version : Advice on products

Ad Meliora
16-02-2009, 09:17 PM
What paints/glues/varnishes/brushes do people recommend? At the moment me and my mates are using our old GW paints but honestly age has not treated them well.

Sorry if this topic already exists, feel free to point me at the information :)

Arkaedin
16-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Paints: GW paints and Vallejo paints. GW are of great quality, as are Vallejo. Vallejo has a wider range of colors, but GWs paint consistency I like a lot better.

Brushes: Kolinsky Sable. Absolutely a must have, but you need to take GREAT care of them!

Glue: Usually loctite just because that's what I can find. Doesn't matter, really. Find whatever's cheapest.

Starky
16-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I use the GW stuff, it is normally good quality and i have had no problems with it. There are better quality products but they tend to be expensive. If anyone knows any other companies that are both good quality and good value i wouldbe pleased to know as well.

Starky

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
16-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Paint- Mostly GW out of convenience, with some Vajello and P3 on the side, mostly if I'm after a certian color.

Brushes- get a nice sable, treat it well, and it'll last for years. GW's are fair quality, low maintenance, but don't last.

Glue- I swear by Testor's for plastic, and greenstuff/epoxy my metals.

Ad Meliora
16-02-2009, 09:41 PM
when you say treat a brunch well, what does that mean? I assume a bit more that swish it in water and dry in on some kitchen towel...

Bytemeh2
16-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Taking care of your brushes can be simple. Here's a few basic tips to keep them in good shape:

1) When you are done painting a color with your brush, wash the paint off immediately. Never allow paint to dry on your brush. I find it helpful to actually paint the excess paint onto something. A spare base, or start on the next model in your line up. Then I clean the brush.

2) When you are dipping your brush in water to remove paint, do not rub it all over the bottom or sides of the container. Swish it in the water a few times, then wipe away any excess with a towel or hand cloth (paper towels are fine too).

3) Never ever ever ever leave your brush sitting in water for any extended period of time. After awhile it will start to separate the hairs.

4) Always store your brushes with the bristles pointing up. Same basic principal for when cleaning the brush.

5) If there is a lose hair on the brush, do not pull it out. I take a small pair of clippers and clip it as close to the base as I can. Pulling it out can result in more lose hairs later on.

Scoppio
17-02-2009, 01:40 AM
gw paint is the holy grail of the hobby :D

Tallarn
17-02-2009, 02:53 AM
gw paint is the holy grail of the hobby :D

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

If you aren't using Vallejo - you arent painting.

Scoppio
17-02-2009, 03:09 AM
I just cannot find vallejo around here... even the GW is missing now... I've only what I got so far and a lot of acrylic paints that are just too bad to be used in at ANYTHING :(

grimdisco
17-02-2009, 03:44 AM
I use them all. I dont use many GW paints they have a bad habit of discontinuing paints.

But I do use the cheep paint from the craft store to making my own paints.

Brushes I have to say buy quality and take care of them.

Captain Castus
17-02-2009, 07:33 AM
If you aren't using Vallejo - you arent painting.

To be fair on GW... Their latest additions, the foundation range and the washes, are pretty good!

Vallejo are cheaper and better though for all other paints... And have a wider range of colour too...

CC

Starky
17-02-2009, 08:33 AM
I have been aware of Vallejo for some time but I have never been able to find them, anyone got any ideas? (please bare in mind i live in england)

Starky

Captain Castus
17-02-2009, 09:32 AM
There are a few places... e.g.

here (http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=cat&cre=hob-val-gcl)

and

here (http://www.nugaming.com/html/vallejo_paints.html)

and

here (http://www.fasttrackmodels.co.uk/index.php?cPath=84_324)

I'm sure there are probably more...

CC

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
17-02-2009, 01:07 PM
It's easier for me to get all of my paint from GW. Same for glue and spray paintdue to the laws here.

I paint ok I might add. Not the best but it is still painting. ;)

Ad Meliora
17-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, I have more questions :)

What's the difference between acrylic and GW paints? Why would I use one over the other? Most of the scenery tutorials seem to use acrylics, is that just because they are cheaper to buy for bulk projects?

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
17-02-2009, 11:24 PM
GW paints -are- acrylic. Just, y'know, for the record. ;)

As for using acrylics over other kinds of paint, there are a couple of reasons-

Water-soluble, so you don't need turpentine to clean your brush
Easy to mix, blend, etc
Reasonably short dry-time
Cheap
Non-toxic, and on occasion rather tasty.

Using enamels takes some considerable skill, and the smell can bend the mind. I speak from experience.

Ad Meliora
18-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Ah cool, shows my level of ignorance :) Cheers for clearing that up for me.

So any do's and don't about buying larger containers of paint (for scenery and the like)? Can I get away with the cheap art-supplies for schools type stuff?

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
18-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Depends...generally, the more bulk, the less quality. You can get some really nice scenery-quality acrylics on the cheap from Delta Coat- mix 'em with a spot of weathering powder or ink and you're set (they're a bit pastel on their own). 2 fl-oz. bottles, look a bit like a big P3 paint. Find mine at the local five-and-dime. Stick to the dedicated paints for your little plastic men, though.

grimdisco
18-02-2009, 01:25 PM
I have found that once you start painting, you learn about the paint you are using.
Some are translucent and are great for blending, and glazing. some are more opaque and are great for base coating. I found that once you learn you paints ( expensive or cheep) you will be able to paint with more confidence that you know what to expect from the paint.

Bytemeh2
18-02-2009, 02:22 PM
For scenery and other odds and ends, I usually go with the bulk cheap stuff for any base coats. Like if I'm painting a grassy hill, I'll paint it with a cheap green and then flock and stuff. Or a concrete barrier, I'll use a flat matte grey to start and then use my good paints to add in details, like scorch marks, dry bushing, etc.

The quality of the paint is not good for detail work, but for covering large areas and getting just a base down, it works just fine. I'd only consider it if you have a few big projects in mind.