PDA

View Full Version : the basics

mrmorgan666
13-02-2009, 10:31 PM
as i'm new to the hobby and i know your all a friendly lot i was hoping someone could explain the basics to painting. i.e. high-lighting, over brushing etc.
This would be a great help
Thanks

Mr.

Nomad
14-02-2009, 02:53 AM
The basics I can help with.

Start with a clean model. Give it a rinse in some water with a little washing up liquid and then rinse in clean water. This is particularly important for metal models. Any oils on the model wil prevent the paint bonding properly.

Clean up mould lines. Trim and file to leaves nice finish.

Undercoat with Chaos Black or Skull White. Chaos black will give a darker finish to the paint. If you want vibrant, bright colours for the model, White is the undercoat to use. Spray on or paint on, doesn't really matter. If using white, you will probably have to use several thin coats to get a good base.

Basecoat the model. Paint the various areas of the model with the base colours you wish. This is generally a darker shade of the colour you want the finished area to be, but not always. If you want a vibrant red for example, base coat yellow. Purple is best basecoated Red or Blue, depending in which way you want the shade to go.

Once the base coat is in place, build up your shading until the desired colour is reached. Leave a little of the darker base showing in crevices.

Dry brushing is acieved by dipping the brush in the paint as normal and then wiping off all the paint until only a small amount remains on the brush. Then gently brush the model. Best for rough areas such as hair, mail links and fur, or for edging.

Overbrushing is like drybrushing except a little more paint is left on the bristles.

Blending is the gradual building of dark through to light colours. Leave a little of the darker colour showing around the edge of the lighter, building up to the lightest as you go. You want a gradual transition from the dark to the light. Best way to achieve shades is to add White or one of the primary colours to the darkest shade you are using. With Green for example, you can use White, Yellow or Blue to change the shade depending on what you want to finish with.

Highlighting is using a really light colour to bring out the prominent features of the model. Look at where the light hits the model and use this as a guide to where to highlight.

Object Source Lighting is highlighting. Just select where the light is coming from on the model, this might for example be a flame of some description. Picture how the light would look hittinh the obect and then highlight appropriately.

This is the basics. Plenty more information and tutorials are available in the Modelling section. Hope I helped.

mrmorgan666
14-02-2009, 11:10 AM
yeah thats a great help thanks Nomad

Mr.

Marticus
14-02-2009, 11:32 AM
of course morgan my firend, the best thing is practice, and patience :) though the moddeling section here does have great tutorials in it and nomad has done a fantastic job of helping you that makes it rep worthy! the main thing though is to enjoy it :) coming from a rubbish painter lol

Nomad
14-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Look forward to seeing some of the painted models in the gallery mr m.

Thanks for the rep Marticus. :D

mrmorgan666
14-02-2009, 01:00 PM
yh is rep worthy thanks again :) ( ill rep when i get some more tapped out atm)
and i should be doing some models tonight so should be able to stick up sometime early next week

Mr

Marticus
14-02-2009, 01:00 PM
excellent we shall look forward to them :)

mrmorgan666
14-02-2009, 01:01 PM
mart your not a rubbish painter your high elves are amazing

Mr.

LAZtheinfamous
14-02-2009, 01:46 PM
AH, your missing one of the key issues of being a good painter, Mrmorgan666. Modesty. Everyone says they are rubbish! If you believe that you are worse then you are, you are constantly pleasantly surprised at yourself.:D

Marticus
14-02-2009, 01:50 PM
laz... u found me out ;) ha hahaha ha ha