PDA

View Full Version : Stirland 1.5k Army List

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
08-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Hello one and all.

I've decided to no longer play with my orcs and gobbo list now and I think it is time I made a list that I'm comfortable with using (plus the army isn't totally nerfed hopefully, but that's for another thread... ;))

Regardless, the army list! I've always loved the background to stirland, so that's my army of choice. Now, I shall produce a 1500 point army:

Stirland River Patrol

The Marshall of Stir and His Guard

Captain of The Empire (Will be Rotated out in Larger Games for A General):
Full Plate Armour
Wyrmslayer Sword
Pistol
Enchanted Shield

94 Points

The Grand Guard
20 Greatswords
Full Command

230 Points

A bit unfluffy, but this will be one of my hold fast units and represents the high nobility of stirland. The sheild is used purely for the boost on the armour save and the pistol is there for character. Also it can be vital in denying a rank bonus. The greatswords will hopefully be bought if the rumoured greatswords are in plastic which is said to be later this year! :D

----------------------

Priest Maximus Harte
Warrior Priest
Sigil of Sigmar
Extra Hammer
Heavy Armour
Ring of Volans
Shield

135 Points

Alchemist Darioq
Wizard of Chemos
Level 2
2x Dispel Scroll

150 Points

Basically, I want some defence against magic. I am contemplating using a sorceror lord to add to this and use some offence of my own. The wizard is a wizard of Chemos (lore of metal) because I have one painted that way. I'm considering rotating between this and the lore of light. But I fear the lore of Hysh is better served on lords.

CORE

20 Spearmen of Stirland
Command Group
Shields

140 Points

20 Spearmen of Stirland
Command Group
Shields

140 Points

10 Huntsmen of Stirland
Hunter's Gaze

100 Points

10 Huntsmen of Stirland
Hunter's Gaze

100 Points

10 Crossbowmen
Hunter's Gaze
80 Points

10 Crossbowmen
Hunter's Gaze
80 Points

Huntsmen are Basically archers who can use the scout rule. They are the fluff unit of Stirland to. The spearmen are there purely for fluff and a backbone. The crossbowmen may be possible detachments. I'll be buying two militia boxes to make the ranged infantry. I want a rustic look afterall. :)

ARTILLERY!!

Great Cannon
Hunter's Gaze
100 Points

Hellblaster Volley Gun
Hunter's Gaze

110 Points

I got a great cannon battery as an auction (wish I had got balthasar gelt) so I am using at least one. I bought the Hellblaster 'cause I think they are cool. They are not painted as Stirland however...

1494 Points Total

NOTE: Two of these upgrades are none-existant. I've put it in there so I don't conflict with GW Copyright. ;) I may also be over by a little. If so I'll drop the 10 militia as I don't have the models and it will be a bit iffy. The total for expansion is: £72 + price of Greatswords (hopefully in plastic, which I predict around £15- £12 , go budget! :D

Please comment and critiscise! :)

japehlio
08-02-2009, 09:38 PM
kk a couple of points...

if the wizard is for protection against magic, dont bother upgrading him to level 2. he doesnt generate any more dispel dice (1 dice per lvl 1/2 wizard) so maybe leave him as a scroll caddy...

5 flagellants will do nowt, get shot up by the time they can be seen, and also even if they get to combat lack the numbers to do anything. with the points saved from the wizard, maybe add a few flagellants and put the warrior priest in with them as an anti-flanker unit?

artillery i think is fine, maybe as you playtest the list find out what combo works for you...

nice list tho!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
09-02-2009, 09:17 AM
I do want some magic though to combat the enemy. So I'm going to leave the wizard as he is.

I've also noticed the captain comes up to 94 points. So consider the flagellents gone, they were added in 'cause I've got the models, I'll also remove the militia to.

If I use the remainder of those points, I think I can get a few more crossbowmen in there.

Thanks for the critiscism. Any more is welcome! :)

Killer
09-02-2009, 10:22 AM
How about a few halbadeer squads in units of 10 for detachments for the greatswords and the spearmen?

There quite handy!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
09-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Ah yes, but against the fluff you see. Plus it means more funding. Better revisions laterz though. :)

Killer
09-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Ah yes, of course- the fluff!

You can always split one of the spearmen squads in two and use them as detachments for the greatswords, can't you?
It stays with exactly what you already have, but if it goes against the fluff to have detachments, then I understand.

Futher it seems like a pretty solid army though!...

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
09-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Not against the fluff having detachments, but using halberdiers.

If I split a spearman squad into detachments for the greatswords, then it means I have less units to employ etc although it could reduce the damage of charges. Gah, decisions! I'll put more thought into it when I get home. :)
(Below is new)
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

Ok, it also seems that I have made the mistake of going overpoints with the flagellants and I never wrote militia into this list. A quick calculation ensures that I can't afford either. I'll post the expansion to 2k points soon. :)

Jasfmpgh
10-02-2009, 05:29 AM
Hey Harte, I'd suggest reducing the numbers on your greatswords.. maybe to 16 or 12.. because they are stubborn you don't really need a huge block of them to hold in close combat.

These guys are also correct in the fact that you'll need some detactments. I would suggest using militia or swordsmen as your detactments. Spearmen are kind of a waste (Can't use spears on the turn you charge..)

The only other thing I'd strongly suggest is a battle standard bearer instead of one of your heros... empire really really needs the reroll.

Killer
10-02-2009, 07:11 AM
I agree with Jason. He said it in a bit more detail...

And yeah, I think the swordsmen would make a good supporting detatchment for the Greatswords! (it'll look cool too! ;) )

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
10-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Right, I'll drop down on the greatswords, the only problem being is that I will have to make a new character. I'll see what I can do soon though.

The detachemnts on the now reduced greatswords. Crossbowmen? I have 8 of them so it'll be easy to go to twelve and add them in.

Detachments, what would you guys suggest dropping/cutting down on to make them? I could cut out the cannon and get 20 militia. 10 for each spearman unit.

Thanks for the advice so far. :)

japehlio
11-02-2009, 12:28 AM
remember Fire, only drop GS down to 14 or so, must be 5 models in a rank to count as a rank, you dont wanna lose that rank bonus, stubborn or no stubborn...

with 14 GS+character, (assuming no losses and full command) youd have +2 rank bonus, +1 for standard, + whatever casualties you caused, and maybe outnumbering...

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
11-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Ah dammit! Another pretty valid point. :D

Well, I don't know how to sort this madness out then. I could drop the wizard, but that extra powerdice could be used to greater effect in my magic phase for dispelling remain in play spells etc and to add some oomph of my own. I'll revise again when I get home...

More food for thought: Is the wind of Chemos worth it or should I resort to something else? I can do it no probs. :)

japehlio
11-02-2009, 08:34 PM
i did find out something you MAY like...
stirland = poor, run down, pants kinda place. i know you have GS as the elites, but i found this in an past (issue 310) WD, where you could create your own knightly orders:

"The Kinghts of the Black Rose;
...founded during the time of the three emperors as a bodyguard for would be emperor, elector count 'so-and-so' of Stirland ... blah blah ... long and chequered history ... changed allegiance 3 times .. shifting loyalties etc"

there you go, a knightly order, official, with fluff basing it in Stirland..!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
11-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Definately going to have to re-work this army now mate! :D

japehlio
11-02-2009, 09:48 PM
lol mwuhahaha!

i can just picture a group of rag-tag, merc-lookalike knights with ott money pouches and bottles etc..