PDA

View Full Version : How do you paint?

Scoppio
05-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I had assembled all my marines but then I reminded that it would be extremely dificult to paint, and it was indeed, then I just cut-off the arm with the weapon and it was all ok to go painting... but I saw a lot of tutorials showing full assembled marines being painted from base coat to the final details... I just cant do that...

Here is what I do for painting a troop (in case, standard SM):

1 - remove all borders
2 - assembly the marine on its base - base + legs + body + head
3 - epoxi to cover any gap
4 - glue the weapons in its arm
5 - base coat - pre-assembled mini + arms + backpack
6 - paint all separately - Pre-assembled mini - arms - backpack
7 - correct all imperctions
8 - detail
9 - white skull dry brush to highlight the borders and the armor details
10 - glue everything together
11 - place the transfers
12 - make the base
13 - satin/varnish/seal the miniature.

Hephesto
05-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Slowly would be my ideal describtion ;)

Here goes:
- clean the bits
- assemble mini usually leaving backpacks and guns seperate so I can reach everything
- undercoat
- hit up deeper layers (eyes, skin, underarmour etc)
- slowly, very slowly work my up to higher details
- final detailing and massive error corrections
- basing / base painting
- coat of varnish

Marticus
05-02-2009, 02:58 PM
to be honest mine would be randomly.... astro has made me paint more!i have a bad habit of assembling first then painitng making my life more difficult, but i want to game!!!

Scoppio
05-02-2009, 04:01 PM
I want to play the game too, but I just CAN'T do that before I get all my minis painted @_@

Must paint in order to game... must... paint....
I hope to get most of my units pre-painted tonight (all blue :D )

Trygon
05-02-2009, 04:03 PM
How do I paint? I get a brush, dip the tip into some paint and apply to a model. Don't know how else you can paint unless you drench your eye lashes in colour and blink all over your model.

Scoppio
05-02-2009, 04:19 PM
I tried to do that... didnt work at all...

KaizerVonAwesome
06-02-2009, 08:35 PM
I assemble them first 90% of the time.

It bothers me to no end but I always forget to not put stuff together. I dunno, bad habit. I always want to know what they're going to look like once everything is in place :/

If I ever remember to not glue em together I leave the backpacks and guns off of my marines.

Darchalus
06-02-2009, 08:53 PM
When I model, I usually do a partial assembly, often main body/head/legs and leave the arms and peripherals off until they are painted.

LAZtheinfamous
07-02-2009, 02:57 AM
I do full assembly, mainly because I do some sort of conversion or odd positioning and if I don't glue them right away I'll forget how they go together to get that cool pose.

Scoppio
08-02-2009, 01:14 PM
I do full assembly, mainly because I do some sort of conversion or odd positioning and if I don't glue them right away I'll forget how they go together to get that cool pose.

have you ever tought of using plastine??? I've bought some, those scholar plastines, really really cheap, a few USą.

Mikel
08-02-2009, 01:58 PM
I wish i could take my time like some of you guys by painting each piece then glueing. I 99% of the time put the whole model together and set about painting it. I do spend alot of time cleaning the models though, with plastic i will rid myself of all mode lines and imperfections Aand metal i use a fine wire wool and sandpaper to smooh it down before starting. The only thing i'll leave off is maybe guns or heads but that very rare.

Commissar_Cain
08-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Personally, I believe that modelling in general is 5% prepwork, 15% painting, and 80% touchup :D

I usually start with a ten man unit. Taking my time cleaning all the flash and mold lines off usually takes about 2-3 days, and leaves me with about 100+ parts for the unit. I then start with the base, in my new pics for my 1st Legion you may notice I have begun establishing my poses based on the placement of base elements. So I start there, adding my pebbles and elements and slate. As I work the base, I place the legs in the position that looks the best, using the slate to adjust the height of the model. Then I assemble the rest of the body. I attach the head, unless it is a flesh head instead of a helmeted head, as I will paint the fleshy ones before attaching them for better control of the face. I do add the arms, but I use the weapon to make sure the arms are lined up properly. I save Shoulder pads, Weapons, and backpacks for last. The only exception to this is assault weapons that do not require 2 arms to pose. with the point of the whole exercise being to have access to the chest for painting.
Prime, basecoat, details... Weapon, Shoulders, then backpack. I used to use transfers, but I play DA, and the DA decals just didnt fit right, so now I paint them on. Once its all done, I use a brush on varnish to seal the mini, then I spray it with a matte clearcoat. I really like dullcote for this.

Well, that was it, from beginning to end takes about 2 weeks for 10 guys, but they seem to come out great for me.

tarantulus
08-02-2009, 05:15 PM
undercoat on the sprue
soft assemble with blu-tack
paint metals
basecoat skin
highlight skin
wash skin
re-highlight skin
as above on cloth
assemble
varnish

Orkgasm
08-02-2009, 05:35 PM
I commonly get so excited when I get new bits/models, I assemble them right out to work out, and see, how they'll look....then quietly curse myself as I paint....

mrmorgan666
08-02-2009, 07:09 PM
9 times out of 10 i paint all my models on the sprues then take em off glue em up and then clean them up

Mr.

PegLegBill
08-02-2009, 08:52 PM
I always assemble them, then paint 'em.
Never occured to me to do it any other way.
I'll have to give it a go...

Scoppio
09-02-2009, 11:20 AM
ive tried to paint it assembled... theres no way... really, impossible to paint things that are behind the guns, etc... @_@

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
09-02-2009, 01:48 PM
I'll paint it assembled. If you leave it on the sprue then you've got to clean flash lines after painting. Not good!

I don't mind painting assembled models, I don't paint what I can't easily get to. :)

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
09-02-2009, 11:53 PM
One, or at most two at a time, usually with weapon arm separate.

Alternately, take a mouthful of equal parts paint, extra-virgin olive oil, and something powerfully alcoholic, hold model roughly 10 inches from mouth, and blow. Works like a charm. Sort of.

Eodred
09-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Got any pics Raimo?

E

Trygon
10-02-2009, 09:29 AM
I would love to be able to paint all my models in separate pieces, but often many of my models have entire scratch built arms, torsos, hands or weapons. Though I do paint guns separately when I can. Can't say the same now as I have been working on a Chaos Gaurdsman armed with one of the Maxmini Armsel Striker Lasguns and I had to glue the gun arm on so I can sculpt the other hand right.