PDA

View Full Version : The Monstrous Host of the Troll King (2000pts Chaos).

Inquisitor Hanson
05-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Have just come up with this list, i have always wanted to make a Chaos army list that is almost exclusively filled with monstrous creatures and with the inclusion/birth of Throgg the Troll King this becomes a very real possibility so here goes-

Throggs Monstrous Horde
Hero
The Troll King Throgg with Blades, Spikes, and Very bad breath 175pts.

Core
6 Trolls with Blades, Spikes, and Very bad breath 270pts.

5 (6) Trolls (this unit is led/joined by Throgg) with Blades, Spikes, and Very bad breath 225pts.

3 Trolls with Blades, Spikes, and Very bad breath 135pts.

Special
4 Dragon Ogres with Great weapons, Includes Dragon Ogre Champion 328pts.

6 Ogres with Chaos armour, Hand weapons, Includes Musician, Standard bearer, and Mutant Ogre, they also have the Mark of Nurgle 320pts.

6 Ogres with Chaos armour, Hand weapons, Includes Musician, Standard bearer, and Mutant Ogre, they also have the Mark of Nurgle 320pts.

Rare
Giant with Big rock, Club, or Dead animal 225pts

So what do you guys think? Have i created the stuff of nightmares or a walking disaster. Should i include a magic user or a few units of scaly/poisonous hounds just to have some more fodder, i dont want any normal Chaos warriors or Marauders or Knights. Sinse this list is unusual i would really appreciate absolutely any input from any other Astro members as to its strengths and/or weaknesses, and if it is any good. So get back to me ladz a.s.a.p-Inq Hanson (yes i know you know its me i just like to personalize things).
p.s.when i expand this army with a thousand more points i am going to have the mighty Kholek Suneater and a Shaggoth but i will only be able to get round to that when i know what more i can do within 2000points.

Killer
05-02-2009, 08:57 AM
The only advice I can give on this army is you'll have to go even more MSU (multiple small units)!

You'll see- you only need 3-4 Ogres to break a unit!

So make them smaller, 'cuase otherwise charges are gonna become quite difficult!

I'd say take them at least down to a maximum of 4 per unit!

Oh yeah, if you can, give the giant the MoS (mark of Slaanesh), because it's VERY scary! ---> But only if you have the point open and you don't know what to do with 'em!

You can take out the unit champions aswell, I don't think you need them! And rather give the Ogres great weapons!

Inquisitor Hanson
05-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi again Killer making with the good advice as usual i see. Are you serious? do i only really need 3-4ogres per unit to do some damage and win combats, and does the same apply to my troll units aswell (only 3-4), and what do you mean by unit champions? do you mean the ogre command group as a whole or just the mutant ogre alone keeping the musician, and standard bearer? i wanna know.

Snoza
05-02-2009, 09:58 AM
the Mutant Ogre is really all you need, to break a unti. and i do agree with Killer, MSU are very handy and yes trolls are good in 3-4 as well, but in the case of the Troll king, have the big unit with him :)

Hope that helps

Snoza

Hephesto
05-02-2009, 10:25 AM
I really like the idea of this army, it would be both fun to play and the look at! Small units is indeed the way to go with the Ogres, not too sure about what part of the command unit to keep. Bit behind on the latest WHFB armybooks, so the whole statline of them kind of slips my mind. Naturally you will suffer against strong ranged armies, but in combat your forces will kick some serious butt ;)

Nice expansion plans as well, love Shaggoths! Out of curiosity does anybody know if GW is planning on making minis for the Trollking and Kholek?

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
05-02-2009, 10:43 AM
They probs will, but with the LOTR range of trolls, you can have loads of variety.

Just don't use a forum troll. :D

Inquisitor Hanson
05-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys for saying you like my list, its always nice to know that you have come up with a good idea that generates curiosity in a good way, have taken into consideration what you have said and have come up with this as a possible alternative-
Throggs Monstrous Horde-
Hero
The Troll King Throgg with Blades, Spikes, and Very bad breath 175pts.

Core
3 (4) Trolls (this unit is led/joined by Throgg) with Blades, Spikes, and Very bad breath 135pts.

4 Trolls with Blades, Spikes, and Very bad breath 180pts.

Special
4 Dragon Ogres with Great weapons, Includes Dragon Ogre Champion 328pts.

4 Ogres with Chaos armour and Great weapons, Includes Musician, Standard bearer, and Mutant Ogre, they also have the Mark of Nurgle 280pts.

4 Ogres with Chaos armour and Great weapons, Includes Musician, Standard bearer, and Mutant Ogre, they also have the Mark of Nurgle 280pts.

Rare
Giant with Big rock, Club, or Dead animal, it has the Mark of Slaanesh 265pts

+1000pts
Lord
Kholek Suneater with Armour of the storm and Starcrusher 605pts

Special
+1 Ogre with Chaos armour and Great armour, it already has the Mark of Nurgle +50pts.

+1 Ogre with Chaos armour and Great armour, it already has the Mark of Nurgle +50pts.

Rare
Dragon Ogre Shaggoth with Great weapon and Light armour 285pts.

As always your advice/input is always welcome Snoz and that goes for the rest of ya, i do really appreciate the pointers, i have decided not to keep the bigger unit for Throgg because of the MSU advice i recieved but after reading Snozas suggestion i might readjust so Throgg has a larger retinue than just 3 other nasties. As for the lord of the Rings Trolls i might give the model range a miss, i know you get some fantastic troll models but they have that distinct LOTR look about them which seems outta place in the Warhammer world (just my opinion) actually the only time i have thought to use LOTR Trolls is when i wanted to field Big Mutants in 40k's Eye of Terror old codex (which you can still use i think? but back to Warhammer) im sure they (G.W) will get around to releasing a Throgg and Kholek model, infact i am really looking forward to the Kholek Suneater model it will no doubt be a blast and a huge mountain of muscle to boot. If i do come up against Shooty armys its some consolation to me that all my units can move much faster than normal infantry which will help me close the gap between me and there ranks quicktime, plus every unit in my army causes Fear which is a big bonus, hooray for Throgg.

Inquisitor Hanson
05-02-2009, 11:30 AM
...anyways is my new list sound? or should i change it again? get back to me or Throgg will eat your children.

Marticus
05-02-2009, 11:36 AM
not being a chaos player i cant really say from a point of view of marks and items and such... but i can say i would definatley be worried facing it with my elves.. small fragile things are easily muched by big gribb so when compared to my high elve 2000pt list i use mostly its rea\lly scary lol

Inquisitor Hanson
05-02-2009, 11:46 AM
You should check out/buy the Warriors of Chaos book Marticus, it always help to know thy enemy and all the background info is really cool it helps expand your appreciation for all the Warhammer/Old World fluff which is always nice, im sure a High Elf list could be concocted which could face off Troggs unruly horde but yes i would totally enjoy crushing and eating alive puny elflings with silly conical hats.

Marticus
05-02-2009, 12:06 PM
i do have a lot of the other army books i love reading them for background and mucking around with army lists stil got the old chaos books for now havent had the spare cash to pick up the new ones.
well heres an example of a 2000pt list i use a fair amount, since i dont write lists to defeat certain opponents.

no lords

heros

caradryan
lv2 mage
lv2 mage

core

15 seaguard
10 archers

special

20 swordmasters of hoeth
19 phoenxi guard with caradryan in it
tiranoc chariot
tiranoc chariot
5 shadow warriors

rare
repeater bolt thrower
repeater bolt thrower
great eagle

eek not much there really is there lol

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
05-02-2009, 12:08 PM
I actually suggest some magikk users to defend against magic if they are cheap enough. :)

they have that distinct LOTR look about them which seems outta place in the Warhammer world

Aye, but nothing a bit of konvertin' wouldn't fix. :D

Understood though mate. :)

Snoza
05-02-2009, 12:15 PM
just so you know INq, idot think they will be releasing Throgg or Kholek :( which is very unfortunate,

Snoza

Killer
05-02-2009, 12:56 PM
yeah! The 2nd list looks like something to really fear! Alas, I fear you may struggle a bit vs magic heavy armies, but I also think your army's speed will make up for it!

But in any case- Yes, this is a good list!

Oh yeah... you can always put Trogg in the dragon ogre squad- with 4 wounds each, they can give him enough protection, andthen you still won't need such a huge unit... But this is another one of those thins that you'll have to playtest in order to see what works best...

Snoza
05-02-2009, 01:06 PM
wow i never would have thought putting throgg in a unit of Dragon Ogres, but well then i guess i m a sucker for mencing looking units, that your opponent will focus mostly on.

yes that second list looks really scary, but i would ne scarier shouldyou throw in a Dragon Ogre Shaggoth :P

Snoza

Killer
05-02-2009, 01:18 PM
The giant will also pull some fire, so I think you'll get most of your units to where you want them- (with the slowest thing in your army having M6!)

Inquisitor Hanson
05-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Yes your High Elf army does look a bit light but come on Marticus there must be alternatives bro, i am willing to subvert my own thread to give you some help Marticus so i actually pinched this High Elf army list from White Dwarf 335-
Caledor Army-
--
High Elf Prince with Armour of Caledor, Dragon horn, Star lance, he rides a Star Dragon 610pts.
--
Dragon Mage (Level 2 Wizard) with Dispell scroll, Guardian phoenix, he rides a Sun Dragon 430pts.
--
10 Dragon Princes with full Command group, Amulet of light, and Banner of Arcane protection 390pts.
--
12 High Elf Archers with full Command group 157pts.
--
20 High Elf Spearmen with full Command group 205pts.
--
2 Repeater bolt throwers 200pts.
--1992pts
Well hope that was helpful in giving you ideas Marticus, with regards to my/Throggs army did think about putting a spell caster in there with a few dispell scrolls to combat magic but couldnt afford it in the end so decided i am quite happy without it, i was going to put a Daemon Prince of Khorne in there aswell but that costs alot of points aswell and i would rather have other things which are more in tune with the armys theme. As for Games Workshop releasing Kholek i dont see how you could know that for sure Snoz, the G.W team are a tricky and unpredictable bunch and its very possible we will get Kholek at some point even if its a year or so from now (the bloody better release Kholek or im going to send them abusive emails), Throgg can be converted but Kholek? No way, well ok im sure some people could convert there own Kholek model using green stuff but its not fair on the majority of us who cant. Your an inventive tactician Killer i appreciate your cunning in suggesting i put Throgg in a unit of Dragon Ogres thats an original idea as Snoza suggests, il have to think about that one. At least in my 3000pt list i have a Shaggoth aswell which satisfys Snozas lusting for one to be included (well not lusting exactly in the traditional sense but you get my drift).

Marticus
05-02-2009, 04:47 PM
the thing is i dont have any dragons... and to me that army looks light i like infantry more then big dragons... though if i had some prob be differant ;) i have dragon princes, but would stick to units of 5. to be fair i have won against dark elves and lizardmen and skaven and bretts with this list, but never played chaos... so who can say ;)

Inquisitor Hanson
05-02-2009, 05:10 PM
No Dragons...??? BLASPHEMY, FOUL BLASPHEMER, Go out and buy some Marti or your going to be chomped, well ok High Elf infantry can kick butt im sure but you need at least one powerhouse Lord flapping about the battlefield spreading death and destruction but suit your self Marticus, if you prefer keeping your feet on the ground then thats cool bro.

Marticus
05-02-2009, 05:28 PM
till the cash can be spared and ive painted what i have then infantry... but soon dragons shall ruile the sky.... A FLIGHT OF DRAGONS!

Rabidnid
05-02-2009, 08:18 PM
New list is fine, go for a cheaper mark on the giant as it is not going to live very long anyway. There are lots of things around that nulify ASF or give it, so you fat friend will not get the benifit very often with his low base initiative. Another mark that adds regen would be better if there is one.

Inquisitor Hanson
06-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Well no there isnt any Mark that bestows regeneration of any kind and the dark gods arent THAT generous, i will have to look at alternatives for my Giant as the Marks of Chaos mostly work differantly for Giants (and Spawn), i still like the idea of an oiled up, lusty, Slaaneshi giant but thats just me and i have to admit that i have always been a weird one. Thanks for commenting on my list Rabidnid, was reviewing my previous posting on an army list which adds a 1000pts and noticed i put Great armour instead of Great weapons as the Ogres wargear, just wanted to clarify that after all im a bit of a perfectionist at heart.

Killer
09-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Well, I think the mark of Slaanesh is probably the best mark to give the Giant!

Nurgle is cool, but the WS reduction is useless and seeing as he's a large target he can still be shot to pieces! And magic missiles eat giants for breakfast!

Korne's mark is reduntant!

So, Tzeentch's mark actually becomes a viable option with 6+ ward save, but is THAT better than ASF? I don't know, but still think ASF on a giant is quite scary!!!

Inquisitor Hanson
12-02-2009, 05:49 AM
Dont worry Killer i am going to keep the Mark of Slaanesh for my giant as its by far the best, it doesnt matter if some things nullify always striking first, they arent so numerous as to make it a useless mark to bestow upon a unit let alone a giant, i mean christ ALWAYS STRIKE FIRST thats amazing. I havent got around to making my Throgg army yet and buying all the models, i am still working away on my Kin Crushers and have just completed a Choas Warrior unit and a full unit of Chosen, soon though Throgg will be marching south.

Marticus
12-02-2009, 10:53 AM
do giants have high innitive?

Snoza
12-02-2009, 11:00 AM
No, they there I3 :P

Snoza

Marticus
12-02-2009, 11:08 AM
against most armies then asf is good.. apart from high elves lol

Killer
12-02-2009, 12:18 PM
EXACTLY!

Marticus
12-02-2009, 12:27 PM
that mark it is then :)

Inquisitor Hanson
12-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Most definately a huge, oiled up, lusty, Slaaneshi giant tickles my fancy bigtime. When i convert him he is definately going to look like a minion of Slaanesh, he most definately needs a topknot like Abaddon in 40k, i might even have a few women hanging of his belt or sat or his shoulder, the possibilitys are endless (well not really) but i can definately make it clear that the Kin Crusher Giant is Slaaneshi, and plus ALWAYS STRIKES FIRST WOW even if hes playing High Elves a giant can still do some serious damage.

Marticus
12-02-2009, 02:09 PM
well the striking first will give the elves the edghe as they are al going to be higher i but the fact theya re frail and the giant is big and can squish them easily not soo good for me lol

Inquisitor Hanson
12-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Thats why you need...DRAGONS Marticus, get Dragons Marti, i wont give up trying to get you to buy and include some dragons in your High Elves.

Marticus
12-02-2009, 02:37 PM
i would never have guessed ;) unfortuantly though the imminent birth of firstborn has made the mrs reign in my spending on toys :( i sooo want 2, i know you wont be happy till i got at least one ;) so as soon as i do and have built it and painted it i shall slap it up here for your approval :)

Inquisitor Hanson
12-02-2009, 02:48 PM
HA HA Make sure you call your firstborn Flamefang or Flappy, come on Marticus surely you can sneak aside £20-£30 for a Dragon? Just make it clear to your missus that the safety and security of Ultuan is much more important than the needs of the few HA HA. Anyways Marti you dont need my approval i just worry about you thats all HA HA.

Marticus
12-02-2009, 02:59 PM
i did actually try and say to her once that the safety of ulthuan was at stake unless i can get something.. think it was a new white lion chariot when it came out.. she just raised her eyebrow and said the safety of your toys are at stake if you do....... menacing lol

Inquisitor Hanson
12-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Sigmar dam them women are a different breed they just dont get it, just make sure that whether its a boy or a girl you have that you get them into the hobby from an early age (obviously not 2 early you dont want your little darling choking on one of your Spearmen lol), anyways if she wants to destroy your toys just tell her that you will burn all the pictures in her photo albums, playing hardball always makes a person more desirable to the opposite sex (which is why i probably dont have a girlfriend right now ha ha, i only have Throgg to keep me company). I hope that the birth goes well and congratulations mate thats great :).

Carrelio
13-02-2009, 06:26 AM
I love troll armies! They make me laugh because even dark elves outnumber them!
As for your list, maybe mark of Khorne on those ogres rather thn mark of nurgle? I know nurgle makes them pretty tough, but you get so much more out of the MoK frenzy in my opinion (and many other people as many people I know do this) .

Marticus
13-02-2009, 10:05 AM
@inquisitor hanson.... cheers dude :) its a girl, so gonna get her into it on the sneaky lol

Inquisitor Hanson
13-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Well yeah carrelio but Throgg, 15 Trolls, 4 Dragon Ogres, 8 Ogres, and a Giant all causing Fear and moving fast isnt anything to laugh at, and plus i dont think that people creating purely monstrous armys is a particulary common occurence so far (i may be wrong). Being outnumbered doesnt bother me because its inevitable when your going to be using an army like this, as for choosing the Mark of Khorne for my Ogres im not certain, the reason i choose the Mark of Nurgle was because theyre only toughness 4 and they are in fairly small units anyways but i might be wrong in my choice??? I might be persuaded to rechoose if you can give me a fairly convincing argument rather than just saying that its what you and your mates would do, thanks for your opinion anyway bro i appreciate input from you. As for your little stinky bundle of joy Marti its just a shame that Games Workshop doesnt make Warhammer cuddly toys :) i want them to realease an Archaon or Dragon Ogre cuddly toy so they can indoctrinate kids towards Warhammer early HA HA but congratualtions again Marticus im really pleased for you mate.

Marticus
13-02-2009, 05:06 PM
yeah i think they missing a hole in the market with cuddly toys... who wouldnt want to give their kids a cuddly ork warboss :) or a loveable troll

Inquisitor Hanson
13-02-2009, 05:21 PM
HA HA Most definately M8, maybe if they bring out a dragon cuddly toy you can stick it on a plastic vehicle base and use it in your battles. You will be getting your baby a toy and be able to use it for your High Elves, ok it might be 10times to big but i would let you use it, and plus you have a pretence that will satisfy the misses and not permit her 2 moan about wasting money on Warhammer. Personally i want them to bring out a range of cuddly toy Chaos Gods HA HA Can you imagine it a cuddly toy KHORNE, NURGLE, TZEENTCH, and SLAANESH LOL, toys that chaos cultists give to there kids, he he.

Snoza
13-02-2009, 09:03 PM
i Would buy one of the God Plush toys :P just for the having one :P

Snoza

Inquisitor Hanson
14-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Well i know what im going to be taking into Dragons Den next time im going on the show HA HA, i can always tell the dragons that if they dont patronize my range of Chaos God cuddly toys i will work foul sorceries upon them and their nearest and dearest LOL.

Carrelio
14-02-2009, 05:21 AM
I've been thinking about it, and what about using a combo of 1 MoN and 1 MoK on those ogres... here's my reasoning. The ogres can't win combat resolution on their own regardless of anything... they are outnumbered and outranked with low leadership... this is really bad! However, if you used them in tandem to flank you would take away those bonuses from your opponent and be very hard hitting. Charge with the MoN in the front and flank with the Mok, that way, the tough guys take the hits and shrug them off (or atleast most of them) and the MoK guys rip through everything.
I thought about this alot and I think this is your best bet.

Snoza
15-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Carrelio, That sounds like a very nice combo, but the only thing i see that may or maynot work, for you, is the the MoK, unless they have screens it could work out wrong, but with screens you have it won :P Inq. you should give it a try.

Snoza