PDA

View Full Version : Painting/Sanding/Flocking bases

Darchalus
01-02-2009, 02:45 AM
Ok moment of truth time:

I hate, H-A-T-E painting, flocking, and sanding bases. I hate doing it. All the models I have with finished bases are ones where someone else did it afterwards. When I do it it generally turns out like ass, or the crap falls off within a few sessions. Beyond that, I like the look of a clean, black base. It draws attention to the model as opposed to the base, which is just there because the rules say they need to be there and the fact that most of the minis wont stand up without them. So to the point:

I need help developing this skill, I need to get over this hatred and learn how to do nice bases for models because I get nailed on my painting scores over and over again because I have either crappy or unfinished bases. Can you all fine folks point me in the right direction?

Kishvier
01-02-2009, 02:51 AM
Just glue green flock down with PVA glue, then put a few small patches of static grass down. As long as you don't over do amounts of glue, it should stay on and not come off, and looks nice with the static grass patches. I don't think it takes away from the model because it's simple.

Arkaedin
01-02-2009, 03:00 AM
All I do is water down some Elmer's glue, grab a cup of sand, spread a thinish coat of the paste onto the base using a crappy old brush and then plop the base in the cup of sand until it's covered. That's if my guys are glued to the base already. If not, then I do the same thing, except I sprinkle the sand over the bases instead.

Colonel Marbi Chora
01-02-2009, 07:45 AM
I found a way for me that prevents the sand from falling off the base, and helps me paint them.

THis is after the model is assembled and glued to the base.

What I do is apply blobs of superglue and use a whittled-down piece of sprue, or another kind of plastic tool, to push the supergle to the edges. When I submerge the base, the sand sticks to it. Use another piece of plastic to remove any sand that sticks where it shouldn't.

Make sure that it is all dry before flicking the bottom of the base, removing the excess sand.

Now, as for painting it, when you prime your men, be sure that you get primer on the sand/base. If there is still some remaining color besides black, you can paint it with a bad brush and water-down chaos black.

Then it comes p to painting it. Using a bad, old, wide brush, drybrush a dark color, such as scorched brown, on. Then continue with a medium color, such as Codex grey or Bestial Brown (for rubble/moon and regular nice dirt). Then follow up with a (light) drybrush of fortress grey or bleached bone. Both can be finished with a very, VERY light drybrush of skull white.

that's my two cents!

The Colonel

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
01-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Snow: Paint the base white, then apply PVA glue to it and apply Snow Flock

Grass: Apply PVA, then dip it in hobby grass. Don't use the glade grass (GW's) as it looks pretty terrible. Paint the sides of the bases brown to get a more earthy feel.

Sand: Apply the PVA and glue it on. I suggest you base before priming/undercoating as it is very tedious when all of the sand breaks away.

Hope it helps, if you want pictures, just ask! :)

darknight
01-02-2009, 11:52 AM
well a lot of good advice already, so all i would say is you might not be putting enough pva on your base hence everything falling off.
so when your mini is finished, use an older brush to put on a good coat of unwatered pva, then just put the base into a pot of gaming sand, my preference in citadell sand as its got different sized pieces in, then you could leave it like that or paint with a brown wash, then a bit of black, when dry, dry brush here and there, mainly over the bigger rocks then your done.
do persevere though, lets face it you didnt learn to paint in a day, and it makes your mini look good on the field,
but you say you like plain bases, well just paint and leave, its your mini and your game, so enjoy

Darchalus
01-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks for all the great advice guys, I will apply your advice and post the results in the mini pics sections. Rep cookies for good advice!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
01-02-2009, 04:56 PM
I also produced this to: Link (http://www.astronomican.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10681)

It isn't the best but I'll expand upon it. :)