View Full Version : does dettol work?
31-01-2009, 11:42 AM
im sure i read somewhere that dettol can be used to strip plastic minis... does it also work on metal ones? if so how does it work what do you have to do and so on...
31-01-2009, 11:57 AM
dunno bout that mate, i know it kills all known germs, the ones it dont know it leaves,lol, i just use nail polish remover overnight then wash under a tap with an old toothbrush
31-01-2009, 12:03 PM
doesnt the polish remover melt the plastic?
31-01-2009, 12:05 PM
It certainly does work, you need to right kind though. The name slips my mind riht now, but you need the heavy-duty brownish stuff. As for how to use it:
- Get a nice big container and fill it up with water with a healthy serving of Dettol.
- It is best to do this outside as Dettol has a rather strong smell.
- Dunk the minis in and depending on how much paint and undercoat they have let them sit for a 3/4 day to 3 days.
- The paint removal can still be tough a the Dettoal has a tendency to turn it into a sticky mess.
- Ideal to clean this stuff are those cheap wet, cleaning swabs you can find in pretty much very supermarket.
- Clean, rince and repeat till you have a whole bunch of warriors ready to retake to the field in some freshly pained kit.
Hope this helps and best of luck with it!
31-01-2009, 12:12 PM
thnaks heph.. whats the ratio of dettol to water? also the name of the stuff in the uk would be handy for me
31-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Don't use the purple Wall paint stripper or you'll have one lump of plastic.
31-01-2009, 12:44 PM
I don't really use a specific ratio, if you use less it will take longer to work. So no biggy there really as the stuff does no damage to pewter or plastic. As for the name, just looked it up:
Dettol Liquid - antiseptic & disinfectant - definitely stuff you do not want to get into your eyes ;)
31-01-2009, 12:46 PM
sorry, yea i leave the metals in overnight, the plastic i just leave for a while, never had a prob
31-01-2009, 01:32 PM
exellent thanks peoples
01-02-2009, 02:36 AM
I shall use this on those Tau for you mate :)
09-02-2009, 12:04 PM
heph has already said this, but I'll reiterate:
Dettol will turn the paint into a gooey slimy pain in the posterior!
09-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Or ten minutes in nail polish remover will do the trick.
You need a lot of it, and an old toothbrush, plus a jar of fresh water to rinse your mini. Don't leave them in for any longer or they will melt.
It does make an aweful mess though, so you might want to lay down some newspaper.
10-02-2009, 09:13 AM
cheers e :)