PDA

View Full Version : Odd Color Scheme Ideas..

Ringo
22-06-2006, 08:16 AM
\'Lo again all,

I just picked up the Battle For Macragge set and I\'m going to set into painting the SM\'s tomorrow. Well, personally I think that blue looks dumb on Space Marines. I was going to mix Blood Red and Desert Yellow with a little water for the overall basecoat, and trim them in Chaos Black. Here are the colors I have available to me:

Chaos Black
Skull White
Boltgun Metal
Catachan Green
Blood Red
Desert Yellow
Ultramarine Blue
Sunburst Yellow

I\'m also willing to pick up one or two other colors, but not too many more than that.

And of course my spray-paint primer that resembles Chainmail. I might also mix some Catachan Green with Sunburst Yellow. What do you guys think? Any interesting combos come to mind?

Ringo

Post edited by: Ringo, at: 2006/06/22 08:18

Indra
22-06-2006, 02:19 PM
First of all, do not use a metallic primer! The colours as applied over it will be altered by the base.

Get some white for an easier red colour or black for anything dark.

|f you\'re new to the hobby go with white.It\'s easier to learn on.

As for mixing colours, try to just stick with your base colours to begin with, and mix later.

Also, thin them down slightly, newer hobbyists tend not to bother and often inadvertantly apply paint thats too thick and obscure the finer details.

mark
22-06-2006, 09:26 PM
i painted my marines to thick when i first started and didnt use gw paints so my marines all came out horrible. you might also want to have a couple of tester modols with diffrent schemes on as a test, make sure you really like the scheme you have choosen. i didnt like the first colour scheme i choose, or the secouned and im doing a seecound repait of my army.

Ringo
23-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Ok, someone help me out here. The primer I have isn\'t chaimail, its white. Also, it doesn\'t say \"metallic\" (unless you were indicating color), it says usable on wood, metal, plastic, etc. Should I still not prime with this? Would undercoating with a spray-paint be better? And when you say \"thin down\" the paint, what should the water to paint ratio be? Thanks!

Ringo

Indra
23-06-2006, 05:58 AM
Well without seeing the primer after its been sprayed onto something first I cant say. Get some old sprue and test it on that and see how the paint takes to it is the best advice I can offer there.

With mix ratios I tend to use 1:1 water:paint but you might want to try a 1:2 water:paint mix to begin with. I use a few layers of paint this way to get even colour. And ink washes are good too. Hell I even drybrush, so I guess I use about every basic technique in equal measures.

Here\'s my photobucket if you wanna look at a Hive Tyrant WIP series to completion.

Winged Tyrant Shots (http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/RonJonesLP/Hive%20Tyrant/)

B)

Starks333
23-06-2006, 07:23 AM
IndraFurya wrote:

Well without seeing the primer after its been sprayed onto something first I cant say. Get some old sprue and test it on that and see how the paint takes to it is the best advice I can offer there.

With mix ratios I tend to use 1:1 water:paint but you might want to try a 1:2 water:paint mix to begin with. I use a few layers of paint this way to get even colour. And ink washes are good too. Hell I even drybrush, so I guess I use about every basic technique in equal measures.

Here\'s my photobucket if you wanna look at a Hive Tyrant WIP series to completion.

Winged Tyrant Shots (http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/RonJonesLP/Hive%20Tyrant/)

B)

***spray you have might be a hope for the best kinda thing

as to watering down, you want almost water colour, what this means is NOT water colour(as in 80%water 20%paint) but NOT paint, you an inbetween, as the benefits of this are:

-stays wet longer so more likely to go on smooth
- because it goes on smoother its easier to apply especially with detail(freehand and small parts)
-you can take advantage of the shape of your brush(point, flat, round etc) because the paint will flow rather than stick

i cant give you a measurement because i dont ever measure, i dont draw with rulers so why would i paint with measurements?

next, just because you apply the paint in the above fashion does not mean you only have to paint one layer, some colours(especially the newer GW paints, catachan, desert, kommando etc) have TERRIBLE amounts of pigment and often take me about 4+ layers before it covers well, no matter the colour under

you will eventually learn in order to paint good models you need good brushes...here are ones to avoid:

-any brush with a form of wax or something to keep the brush in a point...the paint will get stuck in it and split the bristles apart

-GW brushes..why? they split VERY fast and the hairs often frizzle at the end and that leaves streaks

-$400000 dollar brushes..why? they are still brushes and sometimes you cant help keep the paint out of the metal thingy..or you forget to take care of it etc...not worth it

if you are careful and take good care of your brushes the wax covered brushes i have are cheap, and have nice points on them, but as mentioned above if you have the money/chance avoid these(they are Miracle series i believe, good brushes but a pain because of the damn wax)

everyone prays by their windsor & newton brushes, i liked them, most do

also heres what i found about certain qualities to the brushes:

-long bristles usually means flimsier, which is a PAIN when doing much of anything other than base coating

-if its long bristled and fine, then its good for the majority of detail work, in fact thats the brush i use the most, its not too stiff not too flimsy, has characteristics of fine detail and the above flimsy ones

-short and fine, perfect for detail, stiff enough to keep the shape you want

hope that helps

as to colours:

you might not understand the concept of using colours, which is fine, most dont or dont care to

but what you have to udnerstand is that combining certain colours can create either stunning models or simply awful, no matter your skill level of painting

colours are tied to emotions and in fact create a sense by seeing them(black-night, white-holy, red-violent or aggressive etc) and this is why combining them certain ways can either overburden the model, or make it delightfully wonderful! hahaha

i havent gotten into learning how to use other colours to shade certain colours(like grey or green for flesh tone etc) like painters(wall paintings) do, mostly because i never paint, annnd never learned to, annnnd i was mostly a black and white artist :P

hope this helps you in the end, much to consider, much you could simply ignore though :D

Starks

Romulus81
23-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Indra!! hats some pretty nice work you did there.. kudos to you!!

mark
23-06-2006, 09:00 PM
have a play with some colour chemes here interactive marine painter (http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/flash%2Dpainter/1/) then if you choose some schemes you like paint them on some test modols and if you still cant decied take some photos and iver put them in the gallerie or post them on this thread and we will help you decied on one

ps. good advice starks *karma boost*

Post edited by: mark, at: 2006/06/23 21:00