PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Skaven Army

Carrelio
27-01-2009, 02:54 AM
Back in my youth, I collected Skavens. But things happen and people change... soon I was no longer interested in my rat people and moved on to bigger and better things.
It was not until years later... many years later... today in fact... that I reopened the codex. Though no particular reaosn lead me to do so, I felt like seeing if I could make something better than I once had, after all experience has left me much the wiser in the art of war.
The first thing I notices was the awesome magic items the skavens have! They make Dark Elf Stuff look like non-magic weapons!
The next thing I found was Warlord Queek the Head Taker. I love this guy's story (I've been working on his stats)! And I think I'd very much enjoy to build an army under his banner. But everyone has to start somewhere, and I will start with a little list I tried to cook up (even though I don't know the numbers of things I own... this makes the task very difficult!). Alright, here we go!

Hero:
Cheiftan - 96 points
-Cursed Blade of Delirium
-heavy armour
-sheild

Core:
25 clan rats - 175 points
-spears
-full command

-spears
-full command

19 storm vermine - 162 points
-fangleader

20 night runners - 170 points
-nightleader
-10 slings
-10 throwing stars

Special:
10 plague monks - 120 points
-full command
-umbranner

Rare:
Warp-Lightning Cannon - 100 points

Total: 998 points

On to the strategy (though I don't really have one since I can't remember how to play Skaven)!

The cheiftan would go with the storm vermine become a decently hard hitting unit. Thanks to the Cursed Blade of Delirium he will ahve WS 10 which is something not many heroes can boast about in a 1000 point game, this will make him excellent for dealing with challenges and such.
The plague monks will enjoy the ward save against arrows (one of their big problems, having no armour save) and be pretty heavy hitting thanks to frenzy.
The warp-lightning cannon will get off a few (well aimed) shots and then probably blow up.
The night runners will do the whole skirmisher thing.
The clan rats will be the backbone of the army, soaking up hits and dealing back an average amount of damage.

As always, help and comments are always appreciated.

LoganVivisected
27-01-2009, 03:43 AM
Hero:
Cheiftan - 96 points
-Cursed Blade of Delirium
-heavy armour
-sheild

It looks like you want a combat hero which is fine, but this is a weak set up if its the only hero you want to take. Skaven heros will always be weak compared to others, at 1000 pts it evens the odds up and I would spend just a little more here. My recommendation for a 1k skaven combat lord would be-

Chieftan
heavy armor
sheild
languisher sword
warpstone amulet
Total-101

Now you have a Hero with a 2+ armor save and a 4+ ward save. Thats not too shabby on a skaven, oh yeah, he always strikes first as well, so even if charged you get to make your WS5 S4 A3 first, and provided he's deep in a huge unit of skaven, thats just fine for most 1k heros. Just remember skaven are attrition. Don't go sending him off after dragons and as long as you keep him fighting weak heros and unit commands this will be just fine and have great staying ability, as far as skaven goes especially.

Core:
-spears
-full command

-spears
-full command

Full command and spears are really not needed. The basic LA, Sheilds and swords give them a good base armor save and you have to remember they are there for CR, not killing ability. Spears are a sink as are full commands. Banners are a must, musicians if you can, dont waste pts on unit command. 25 per unit is fine. I would personally try to add in more blocks though. 2 more at least.

19 storm vermine - 162 points
-fangleader

Pts sink. Buy clan rats instead. They do the exact same job just for more pts. You aren't going to over power Ogre Iron Guts or Empire Swordmasters, and deffinately not Chaos Warriors and things like that. So don't spend the points here, get more Clan rats! Brown wall of death!

20 night runners - 170 points
-nightleader
-10 slings
-10 throwing stars

Break into 2 groups of 10, lose the slings and throwing stars. These guys are march blockers and occasionally flank harrassment.

Special:
10 plague monks - 120 points
-full command
-umbranner

Nothing wrong here.

Rare:
Warp-Lightning Cannon - 100 points

Total: 998 points

Gotta love WL cannons...your opponents won't though.

Your list with my reccomendations--

Chieftan
heavy armor
sheild
languisher sword
warpstone amulet
Total-101

WarLock Engineer
Storm Daemon
Total-70

Clan Rats x25
Standard
Total-135

Clan Rats x25
Standard
Total-135

Clan Rats x25
Standard
Total-135

Clan Rats x25
Standard
Total-135

Clan Rat Slaves x20
Total-40

Clan Rat Slaves x20
Total-40

Night Runners x10
Total-50

Night Runners x10
Total-50

Warp Lightning Cannon
Total-100

Total-991

Dropped the Plague monks for the engineer, lvl1 wizard with bound magic missle for some extra punch.

Marticus
27-01-2009, 09:18 AM
warplock engineers are the way to go warp lightening is very scary!!! also ratling guns and jezzails if you can get them

Carrelio
27-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Yah, I've been thinking the list over. The reason I chose most of what I chose is because it's what I think I own (I simply don't have 200 million skavens), and having the WYSIWYG rule in place, I can't really do much about the equiptment changes (unless I find a bits box full of arms!). I know I have a lot of clan rats with spears so I assumed that's what I'd end up with, though there could be a lucky break and I may have enough guys with swords to have a unit of hand weapons and sheilds (it's my hope... but since I havn't seen this army since I was 10, probability is a little low). Same problem for the night runners, I think they could be stuck with slings and throwing stars (it looked cool when I was 10!).

As the generals go... I have been thinking it over, and I may swap out the cheiftan entirely for a warlock engineer, because I really like their strength 5 weaponry, but more importantly (because their weaponskill is a bit garbage), I like their warp lightning!

I'll see what I can do to change the list around when I get my army from my dad's house next weekend... until then, we'll have to wait with baited breath!

Your Conscience
28-01-2009, 07:27 AM
I think that you might be using the older codex because there isnt a warlord quek in the rulebook and skaven n ow dont have any special skills like dark elves

Carrelio
28-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Are you sure there is no mention of warlord Queek? Check page 65. As for the Skaven magic items list, every army has one, and theirs is the best I've ever see.

Inquisitor Hanson
29-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Holy damnation you get all those troops for a 1000 points thats phenomenal. The skaven are really cool its just a shame you cant take the huge horned rat daemon anymore like you used to be able (or can you?).

Marticus
29-01-2009, 11:50 AM
not anymore... that was a sweet model!

Carrelio
30-01-2009, 02:21 AM
I loved the vermine lord... anyways, good news everyone (I was watching Futurama incase anyone notices the quote)!

So, I got my brother to scope out what I have in my skaven box and this is what I've got...
30 spears and 10 swords, with 40 not assembled models. So I have quite alot of choice as to the units I want to design in this upcoming list.

I was thinking I'd put 10 more in spears, for 2 units of 20 and 10 more in the swords group, then use the last 20 to make another unit of swords.
This would give me 4 units of clan rats, 2 with spears and 2 with swords.
I know 20 is a little bit small... but I think it may be the best option right now.
I also have 30 storm vermine to do with what I want.
30 Plague monks (scrummy!)
20 night runners (I knew that already...)
And the lovely warp lightning cannon.
My only visible general that my brother could find was a Warlock Engineer, so it looks like I have a warlock engineer as my general.
There are 2 assassins as well... but they can't be generals now can they.

Any advice on those clan rats? Maybe 2 units of 30 and 1 of 20? or something else like that?

Your Conscience
30-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Ah right by special skills that threw me off what you meant when you really meant magic items my mistake

Marticus
30-01-2009, 09:06 AM
I loved the vermine lord... anyways, good news everyone (I was watching Futurama incase anyone notices the quote)!

So, I got my brother to scope out what I have in my skaven box and this is what I've got...
30 spears and 10 swords, with 40 not assembled models. So I have quite alot of choice as to the units I want to design in this upcoming list.

I was thinking I'd put 10 more in spears, for 2 units of 20 and 10 more in the swords group, then use the last 20 to make another unit of swords.
This would give me 4 units of clan rats, 2 with spears and 2 with swords.
I know 20 is a little bit small... but I think it may be the best option right now.
I also have 30 storm vermine to do with what I want.
30 Plague monks (scrummy!)
20 night runners (I knew that already...)
And the lovely warp lightning cannon.
My only visible general that my brother could find was a Warlock Engineer, so it looks like I have a warlock engineer as my general.
There are 2 assassins as well... but they can't be generals now can they.

Any advice on those clan rats? Maybe 2 units of 30 and 1 of 20? or something else like that?

2 units of 30 sounds good my man... and to coin a futurama phrase i would help but im already in my pyjamas :)

Carrelio
30-01-2009, 10:18 PM
I've thought about this pretty hard... and if I go with the 4 units of 20, I can just buy 1 more box of clan rats and I'd be up to 25 in each... which if you ask my is decent. This also gives me the option of having 2 units of clanrats and 2 units of slaves right off the bat. I'll continue doing math to work it out.

Marticus
31-01-2009, 09:05 AM
my firned makes the slaves look differnat by painting them a lighter colour and not putting the tail on.. like they have been docked... makes it easier for ranking too :)

Carrelio
31-01-2009, 11:24 PM
All right! Time for a revised list!

Hero:
Warlock Engineer - 120 points
-warplock pistol
-warp-blades
-upgraded warp-energy condenser
-supercharged warp-power accumulator
-warpstone amulet

Core:
29 Clanrats - 170 points