PDA

View Full Version : The Widow Maker Warband (Chaos 2000pts).

Inquisitor Hanson
25-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Hello chaps could you please give me some advice over what to take in my 2000pts Chaos Warband. So far i have settled on the following choices-

Core
20 Chaos Marauders armed with Great weapons and Light armour, Includes Musician, Standard bearer, and Marauder Chieftain
140pts

20 Chaos Marauders armed with Flails and Light armour, Includes Musician, Standard bearer, and Marauder Chieftain
140pts.

15 Chaos Warriors armed with Additional hand weapons, Chaos armour, and Hand weapons, Includes Musician, Standard bearer, and Champion, they also have the Mark of Khorne
300pts.

Special
Chaos Chariot armed with Barded Chaos steeds, Scythes, Chaos Warrior crew with Halberds 120pts.

Chaos Chariot armed with Barded Chaos steeds, Scythes, Chaos Warrior crew with Halberds 120pts.

12 Forsaken armed with Hand weapons and Heavy armour 216pts.

Rare
Hell cannon with Chaos Dwarf crew armed with Hand weapons and Heavy armour 205pts.

So far thats 1241 points, it might just seem plain lazy but i wanted to leave 759pts unspent so it gives you lot a little bit of extra room to maneuvere in suggesting whats best for the Widow Makers, i want a force that can kick backside so please dont hesitate to post any suggestions you have even if it means i have to replace a few units. Get back to me i need your advice-Inq Hanson.

Carrelio
26-01-2009, 12:52 AM
I saw Widow maker and was all excited because that's the sword of Khaine... but it wasn't the sword of khaine... it was just chaos...
None the less let me give you my thoughts on this.
I've played alot of people with chaos and I've noticed a few things.
Thing number 1: Dogs don't do anything! There has not been one point in my games against chaos where dogs have done anything! They arn't even an effective march block in my opinion because they just get charged and the run through usually carries the unit that killed them further than if they had just marched!
Thing number 2: Chaos warriors are hard! Chaos chosen are harder! And Chaos Knights are just plain sweet! Add any of these to that list to fill in some points and not one chaos person will complain about your choice.
Thing number 3: Lords and heroes... I've actually found your army can work just as well without them. I dunno if other people would back me up on this one, but that's just what I've seen, so if you went more for the little stuff and less for the lords and heroes, you might do pretty well (maybe mount your lord in one of those chariots to get him into combat quickly and make him a very scary threat)
Thing number 4: The marks of chaos are in my opinion a must! They are all so good! Slannesh removes all those pesky psychology problems! khorne makes your guys psycho! tzeentch makes them all magicy! and nurgle... tough as nails! Take a couple marks for your army!

Inquisitor Hanson
26-01-2009, 04:41 AM
Sorry if the name of my warband misled you in any way, i assure you that it was completely unintentional, i do have a Dark Eldar army with the same name. However i do find this to be helpful to some degree in not what to take but i do need further advice over what to take in terms of Lords and Heroes so if anyone has any siggestions that relate to this please let me know, also i need to know if my Core, Special, and Rare choices are sound? Come on i need to satisfy the dark gods and get to crushing and pillaging the other weakling races so get cracking lads and make with the good advice.

Snoza
26-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Inquistior, i my self play Chaos, and well i have found that having a Chaos Lord in a Unit of Knights is well what ever hits them dies, so i would say for give or take 690 points but in a Lord and 5 Knights, and you might want to try using marks and Warriors of Chaos as they are no joke Knights in combat with shields they have a save of 2+ in the front, and can dish out a further 11 attacks same as the Knights, but depending on what marks you are going to use, depends on what you get, also i would personally use Mark of Nurgle, which may sound bad, but really, it is insanely awesome.

let me know if that helps.

Snoza

Inquisitor Hanson
26-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Not really sure dude its been such a long time sinse i played a game of Warhammer that i havent got a clue what works or is effective in a game, i usually play Warhammer 40k so yeah i get the stats and stuff but its quite difficult to change your way of thinking to a Warhammer fantasy format in terms of Magic items, units etc...another thing that im not sure about is how you add Heroes to an existing unit? Does that Hero replace the Champion model you already spent points on for the unit? As for the army list i think that the unit of 20 Chaos Marauders with Great Weapons is non negotiable because i have already gone to the blasted effort to painstakingly convert the great weapons on the models (which at points made want to scream in frustration and just smash the damm things) but after several failed attempts and very sticky glue stained hands i finally managed to get it right. Also i wasnt sure if i should add a Mark of Khorne/Nurgle to the Marauder unit in question because there just seem so easy to squash or pick off and thats 30points which gets pruned with them being taken out, what do you think? Should i give the Chariots/Marauders Marks or concentrate Marks on more powerful units? But theres still the 759 unspent points. Sorry i know there alot of questions here but im confused and in need of sage advice.

Snoza
26-01-2009, 11:29 AM
ok, well i will say give the Marauders Mark of Slaanesh then they will not run from being shot at, due to Immune to Fear, Terror and Panic, with the Chariots, go with Mark of Tzeentch, so then they have a 6+ Ward save, you will need a unit of Knights as for mark its up to you, but i would go with Nurgle, but then thats what i use and they are monsters in combat :), with Characters (lords and Heros) they dont replace the unit Champion, you just have you character in the front rank as well. in the New Army Book, Marks are now highly importent, but really it all depends on what armies you will be facing, like for me i have a gunline every so often, so i have to negate some of his shots or give me a protection against them.

if there are any other questions (which im sure there will be) feel free to ask.

Snoza

Inquisitor Hanson
26-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Aww Snoza your an inspiration i find your suggestions incredibly helpful, all this time i have been contemplating Marks of Khorne/Nurgle and ignoring the other marks, when actually a Mark of Slaanesh for my Marauders units would be much better mainly because a M.O.S is so much cheaper and means the unit wont break, and they can keep hacking away with there Great Weapons, nice one mate. Also Marks of Tzeentch for chariots will probably do nicely. I still have the problem of my Lord and whether i should take a level 4 Chaos Sorcerer or stick to a Lord on a flying mount, or ignore Lords entirely and just stick with Heroes? With regards to such are you saying that if i wanted to include say.?.Wulfrik the Wanderer i could knock off one of the Chaos Warriors from the unit and have a unit size of 14+Wulfrik, meaning there will be three ranks of five in the unit (including him)?

Inquisitor Hanson
26-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Oh yeah and how many knights should i take in a unit? Will five suffice or do i need more for a 2000points game?

Snoza
27-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Well i personally only use named characters in 3000+ battles (mainly cause well i will take Archaon in a unit of 10 Knights :) )
i would go with having a Lord on Flying Mount, with mark of Nurgle and Chaos Runesword, meaning that most things will require 5's to hit him (but thats just me) you will need a form of Magical defense, so taking 2 Sorcerer's would be very helpful, and as for Knights 5 is easily more then enough to break an army in 2000pts, but if you wanted to increase that to 10 thats up to you, but the unit will cost heaps, so best stay with 5 or two units of 5, which would be nasty. With Wulfrik, personally i wouldnt take him, cause really he is nothing special (but thats my opinion).

Snoza

Inquisitor Hanson
27-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah ok for my Lord choice in going with a Chaos Lord armed with the Armour of Damnation, Chaos runesword, Mark of Nurgle, and Shield, riding a Manticore, thats 535pts. Also in going with-

20 Chaos Marauders armed with Great weapons and Light armour, Includes Musician, Standard bearer, and Marauder Chieftain, they also have the Mark of Slaanesh
150pts

20 Chaos Marauders armed with Flails and Light armour, Includes Musician, Standard bearer, and Marauder Chieftain, they also have the Mark of Slaanesh
150pts.

Special
Chaos Chariot armed with Barded Chaos steeds, Scythes, Chaos Warrior crew with Halberds
120pts.

Rare
Hell cannon with Chaos Dwarf crew armed with Hand weapons and Heavy armour 205pts.

So thats 1160pts so far give or take a few of my original choices. Do you agree with my Lord choice? Will he be able to dominate a 2000pts game? and does he represent points well spent? Also now i have 840pts to spend on something else any suggestions?

Inquisitor Hanson
27-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Ok i know im replying to my own posts like a sucker but heres my final finished army list-

The Widow Maker Warband-

Lord
Chaos Lord with Chaos runesword, Chaos armour, Favour of the Gods, Mark of Nurgle, Necrotic phylactery, and Shield, He rides a Manticore 505pts.

Heroes
Festus* the Leech-lord armed with Pestilent potions 185pts.

Core
20 Chaos Marauders armed with Great weapons and Light armour, Includes Musician, Standard bearer, and Marauder Chieftain, they also have the Mark of Slaanesh
150pts

20 Chaos Marauders armed with Flails and Light armour, Includes Musician, Standard bearer, and Marauder Chieftain, they also have the Mark of Slaanesh
150pts.

11 Chaos Warriors with Chaos armour, Hand weapons, and Shields, Includes Musician, Standard bearer, and Champion, they also have the Mark of Nurgle (they are joined/led by Festus*) 236pts.

Special

10 Chosen with Chaos armour, Great weapons, Includes Musician, Standard bearer with Festering shroud, and Chosen Champion with Blasphemous amulet, they also have the Mark of Nurgle.
330pts.

Rare

Can you please recomend alternatives or tell me if my choices are sound, personally i really like my unit of Chosen because they have the potential to drain wounds of models in contact twice every magic phase (if you check what there wargear does) and the Chaos warriors led by Festus will all have Poisoned attacks however i would really appreciate further advice relating to this final draft if you dont respond i will put the hex of the Chaos Gods on you :-)-Inq Hanson.

Snoza
27-01-2009, 09:50 PM
With your lord Try to give him a Ward Save, and Favor of the gods, well give him The Armour of Morrslib, so then he has a 4+ ward save, drop out the Light Armour on the Marauders, that will bring you done to 1996, and i will have to mention that Chosen may be good, but Knights Are Much better, and from personal experience, they will destroy anything that touches them. your list does look sound, other then swapping the Chosen for Knights, and givving them the Festering shroud, but then i really enjoy having a unit of Knights.

hope that helps,

Snoza